PDA

View Full Version : first juijitsu class last night

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-28-2006, 08:06 AM
well i guess i've been assimilated.

i learned some basics ... how to transition into a side mount properly (couple things to do from there), key lock, a guard sweep, sissor sweep, and a few other basics.

i didnt go live as i have absolutely no friggen base whatsoever and right now 4 or 5 of the guys are getting ready for fights. i dont want them to have to worry about taking it easy on me when they should be training for the fight and worse yet i dont want to get the **** beat out of me even worse because they are training for a fight. i got one more class before their fight this wednesday and ill start taking my lickins after that.

all and all i really liked it. i never realized how intricate a good ground game is. i never thought it wasn't, but its just not something i gave much thought one way or another. im going to stick with it for at least a year or two although ill probalby always be standup by heart.

Jun Fan
02-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Good for you. When you start training "for real" you'll be amazed by how tired you get. Especially when rolling with somebody considerably bigger than you.

I think every fighter should have at least some grappling training. The more well rounded you are the better. In the real world fights usually go to the ground anyway. But, if the guys in your BJJ school are anything like the guys in every BJJ school I've ever been too they will try to convince you that TMA's are useless and grappling is the only thing you need. Don't buy it.

SevenStar
02-28-2006, 09:24 AM
i never realized how intricate a good ground game is.

bingo. I don't think anyone really does. I sure as he11 didn't either. It's just something you find out by actually doing it.

SevenStar
02-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Good for you. When you start training "for real" you'll be amazed by how tired you get. Especially when rolling with somebody considerably bigger than you.

it's only really like that for newbies. Once you learn to relax, it's not that bad - even with bigger guys. It's all about energy conservation.

But, if the guys in your BJJ school are anything like the guys in every BJJ school I've ever been too they will try to convince you that TMA's are useless and grappling is the only thing you need. Don't buy it.

I don't know bjj guys like that. The ones I know all prefer mma type training, but don't don't completely despise tma. When I first started working with them, they were really interested in my longfist and whether or not I could make it work. They respect what works, regardless of whether or not it's a TMA. I don't blame them; I don't take a person's word either. If you can make it work, show me. otherwise, shut up and change the subject.

Chief Fox
02-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Nice Job GDA. I've been thinking more and more about doing this too. I'm guessing that I might as well take the free class. The only thing is. I really love kung fu and really don't want to sacrafice my training time. So do you intend to do both?

gabe
02-28-2006, 09:36 AM

I think every fighter should have at least some grappling training. The more well rounded you are the better. In the real world fights usually go to the ground anyway. But, if the guys in your BJJ school are anything like the guys in every BJJ school I've ever been too they will try to convince you that TMA's are useless and grappling is the only thing you need. Don't buy it.

Yeah, wouldn't it be great if we were good at everything. When some people go that route, they really put in the time and effort. I think Inosanto went and got his black belt. But most people dont put in that much, maybe a day a week. In your opinion, how far would that get you? Even BJJ intermediate level is pretty decent on the ground. So if you want to be "well rounded," to what extent do you have to submerse yourself? As anyone should find out, it's an extremely complicated and intricate art. Spend a bit of time with BJJers and you find out that going to the ground against even their intermediates is something you don't want to do if you don't do much grappling. Being "well rounded" is much more difficult than most give it credit.

But kudos for you for getting in there.

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-01-2006, 01:16 PM
arg sorry for not responding sooner ... usually post from work and its been busy past few days.

ill actually be going for my second class tonight.

sevenstar:

"bingo. I don't think anyone really does. I sure as he11 didn't either. It's just something you find out by actually doing it."

no crap dude .... there's no way to explain it to people either. even suzi thought i was doing "ninja stuff." when i tried to explain it to her she said "so you go and roll around on the floor with men all night." so then i actually showed her one of the reversals/sweeps i learned from the guard and explained that if a bigger guy had me on the ground and i didnt know what to do then id be screwed ... but if i get good at this i give myself a chance to get a better position and pumble the guy in the face like so. then she said, "so you roll around on the floor with men all night." GAR!

"it's only really like that for newbies. Once you learn to relax, it's not that bad - even with bigger guys. It's all about energy conservation."

yeah by the end of the night the teach is sweating but hardley out of breath and hes far from the biggest guy there. id guess him at 170 at most.

"I don't know bjj guys like that. The ones I know all prefer mma type training, but don't don't completely despise tma."

same there as well. a couple of my buddies who train mma talk **** on tma all the time, but i dont think they would hate it as much if i didnt get so mad about it. and if i spar them they just say that you crosstrained and so did your kf teacher ... its only the boxing and muithai that does you guys any good :)

cheif fox

"I really love kung fu and really don't want to sacrafice my training time. So do you intend to do both?"

not at this time but for different reasons. without becoming too long winded about it im just not fighting to make it work at this point. if they start calling me again like they were a few months ago ill go back a day or two a week. i do miss moving though .... thats what people who have never done a traditional art dont get i think .... we never even did forms, but moving feels good.

MasterKiller
03-01-2006, 01:40 PM
sell - out

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-01-2006, 02:03 PM
the truth be known i just like rolling around with men like suzi says.

MasterKiller
03-01-2006, 03:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzdT-kerHac&search=BJJ

Mr. Miyagi
03-01-2006, 04:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzdT-kerHac&search=BJJ
MasterKiller - That was hilarious!!! No offence GDA...BJJ rocks. I just had to laugh at that clip. :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-01-2006, 11:15 PM
no offence taken.

... besides i actually do juijitsu. everyone just keeps saying bjj out of habit and i just let it go.

i wouldnt be caught dead doing brazilian juijitsu like those ***s.

Mr. Miyagi
03-02-2006, 08:30 PM
no offence taken.

... besides i actually do juijitsu. everyone just keeps saying bjj out of habit and i just let it go.

i wouldnt be caught dead doing brazilian juijitsu like those ***s.

Oh yeah, you did say jiujitsu…MY BAD. You're right, Brazil is the new buzzword these days. Like Brazilian bikini waxing. :eek:

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-02-2006, 09:14 PM
lol ... np ... everyone has been doing it.

the only reason my friends dont is cause they are familiar with the class.

JamesC
03-02-2006, 10:52 PM
I'm a little confused...

Did you quit Kung Fu or did you stop going to the JJ school?

Oso
03-03-2006, 09:04 AM
what's the style called? the JJ I did was Kwanmukan

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-03-2006, 09:31 AM
not sure off hand but i can ask.

james ... im currently doing juijitsu. that one post was me rambling on about not going back to kung fu if its going to be a pain in my ass. there's just some reasons im not going through any major efforts to make it work right now, but ill probably end up back there in time.

Oso
03-03-2006, 10:18 AM
just curious...the Kwanmukan group is based out of Akron (I think) and has a lot of branch schools in the area. I thought it might be coincidental if you were training with a branch group of what I trained in.

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-03-2006, 11:04 AM
the main dude's name is dave vanest if that rings any bells.

Oso
03-03-2006, 11:18 AM
naw...but i only went to one tournament with them before I had to quit and it was in New York.