PDA

View Full Version : QiGong, Chi Kung

CD Lee
10-21-2001, 06:11 PM
Hate to ask a dumb question...but is QiGong the same thing as Chi Kung, just a different rendering on the spelling such as Gung Fu and Qi energy vs. Chi energy, etc???

Wongsifu
10-21-2001, 06:17 PM
yup one is romanized pinyin if i am not mistaken and the other is wade giles translation ... something like that but otherwise its identical

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

origenx
10-21-2001, 06:55 PM
Yes, those all refer to the same words. The confusion stems from the fact that there are basically 3 systems of Romanization (transliterating Chinese words into English):
Wade-Giles
Pinyin
Yale

I think Wade-Giles is the oldest, but probably also the most non-intuitive. They use such spellings as "ch'i kung," "kung fu," etc.

Pinyin is more intuitive than Wade-Giles, and is the official system used by China. Hence, it is quickly gaining the most popularity. It spells such words as "qi-gong" and "gong fu," I believe. Some of its odd quirks are using "q" instead of "ch" though - I think because it's originally based off the Russian Cyrillic alphabet, not English.

The Yale system is actually probably the most phonetically intuitive and useful for helping English-speakers to properly pronounce Chinese words. But, "oddly enough," it also appears to be the least-used. It would spell such words as "chi gung" and "gung fu."

So for the record, "kung" is actually pronounced with a long "o" like in "so" and the "k" like a "g." "Fu" simply rhymes with "shoe."

http://www.m.isar.de/denner/neijia/romanisation/mapping.htm

CD Lee
10-21-2001, 07:59 PM
Well that is something. I started doing Chi Kung from a video because I thought I had picked up a Tai Chi video! I was so ****ed when I got home, that I just said, screw it, and did the Chi Kung...which I had not heard of so how good could it be? Plus, all that slow standing crap???

Anyway, long story short, after doing the video for the very first time, and I do excersice all the time, my body felt like a million dollars the next day! I mean, my back. It was like I went to a chiropracter or something. So, I have kept doing the excercises without the video, and I think it is just awesome.

So I was like...how come nobody talks about this stuff??? What gives? It is incredible...plus when I stared taking HsingI, we did qigong work and still do, although our Sifu never said anything about it. But I did hear everybody talk about Qigong, so suspected it due to Qi and Chi.
Thanks

Yuen
10-21-2001, 08:27 PM
So yale pronounciation/spelling is Cantonese while pinyin is Mandarin. The best way to distinguish or learn the correct way to spell is probably to learn write kanji characters in other words the Chinese/Japanese characters :) Really, because they are the only correcet way although often pinyin romanization is considered to be the standard way of spelling.

woliveri
10-21-2001, 09:01 PM
As a student of Chinese language I find Pinyin a much better representation of Chinese phonetics than the others. After learning the 'b', 'p', 'm', 'f' you will be able to learn converstion much quicker than relying on the other systems. Just my opinion.

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"