PDA

View Full Version : 8 Step Shifu John Chang

Michael Dasargo
03-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Hello all,

I recently had the oppurtunity to visit Shifu John Chang of the 8 Step Mantis system. The experience was very enlightening, as Chang Shifu was very enthusiastic to share his knowledge and experience with me. We spent a few hours reviewing body mechanics, defining the meaning behind the diversity of Mantis Boxing systems, memories of Wei Shigong, as well as principles and technical application.

What was most insipiring is Chang Shifu's charisma. His energy is very honest, humble, and outgoing. I was very suprised with how much Chang Shifu placed himself in a position of service rather than in a position of worship, given his place in the 8 Step community. I was very humbled by his love and dedication to the perpetuation of his art, and the 8 Step family.

Chang Shifu's wealth of knowledge is surpassed only by his kindness and his passion for the art. For anyone seeking information about the 8 Step system, seek Chang Shifu.

http://www.8-step.com

Sincerely,
M.Dasargo

PS
Special thanks to LapuSquared (Chas.) for arranging the meeting, and to Kin for recommending Chang Shifu as well.

Forkintheroad
03-02-2006, 12:29 PM
I would have to agree.

bokfu
03-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Hello, Michael,

I just read your post. It was nice meeting you at Sifu Chang's home a couple of weeks ago. Sifu Chang certainly fits your description of being open and helpful with 8 step as opposed to being self righteous. He only wants to ensure that the true 8 step style, according to what he had learned from Grandmaster Wei, is continued. That being said, I am sure that he would want you to realize that, along with others, is that he is not the only teacher who represents this period of Ba Bu Tanglangquan. There are other amazingly excellent teachers who were also students of Grandmaster Wei living here in the U.S.A. that carry on this tradition such as Mr. Ernie Wu in Texas and then Paul Lin's father down in Los Angeles to name a couple. (Just a side note that Mr. Wu was very helpful, himself, when I had the great opportunity to meet him and do some hands on.) In any case, Sifu John Chang is among a great group of martial artists who have the utmost respect for their former teacher and their style of mantis. I believe that humbleness and love of the system is what is going to help it survive.... there is no room in Eight Step Mantis for self glorification and lofty self acclaim.

I hope we get to see you again sometime soon, Michael and we all send our best regards to you.

bokfu
(Kenny King)