PDA

View Full Version : 5 steppings and TCM 5 element theory

Kymus
03-01-2006, 07:28 PM
I heard that - in essense - Taiji's 5 steppings and TCM's 5 element theory are the same thing, just presented differently. Wikipedia explained it as:

These elements were used for describing interactions and relationships between phenomena. Five phases is another way of translating wǔxíng — literally, "five goings". Traditional Taijiquan schools relate them to footwork and refer to them as five "steps".

What I am currious about is how they are linked, exactly. What steps replace each element? Are the creation of overriding cycles combat-related, or do they exist more for the manipulation of qi (considering this is Taiji, I really shouldn't have to ask that :P).

Could someone explain this to me?

Buddy
03-01-2006, 09:47 PM
It's footwork. Taiji was a martial art long before it was anything else.
STEP (look or what ever action):
left
right
forward
backward
central equilibrium (not quite so simple)

Kymus
03-02-2006, 05:06 AM
I understand Taiji's 5 steps, but what I don't understand is how exactly it is linked to TCM's 5 element theory.

Fu-Pow
03-02-2006, 05:40 PM
I think what Buddy's saying is that the Taoist stuff was attributed to the movements after the fact.

The 5 steps are forward, back, left, right, zhong ding.

These were related to the 5 elements or Wu Xing.

The 8 energy-skills are peng, lu, ji, an, lie, cai, zhou and kao. These were related to the 8 trigrams or the Ba Gua.

Together they add up to 13, which is sometimes referred to as the "13 postures." But really its 5 steps and 8 energy-skills.

I just attended a workshop on this very topic and my teacher basically said that peng jin and zhong ding are the most important because all the other energies depend on them.

Kymus
03-02-2006, 05:51 PM
I think I understand now; thanks