PDA

View Full Version : Taichi for fitness

k2square
03-22-2001, 04:32 AM
Will practicing Taichi improve the cardiorespiratory system and the msucle groups??

count
03-22-2001, 05:08 AM
Yes!

JerryLove
03-22-2001, 09:34 AM
On the cardio-respitory front. It's excellent for resperation and circulation (I came out of my Bone Marrow Transplant scoring better on the resperation test than many going in). It is not a cardiovascular workout like aerobic, but will help your heart in a manner similar to yoga.

On the muscular front, do not expect definition or a large amount of bulk. It will bulk up some areas (the better you do it, the more it will affect) if they are underdeveloped, and it will do a great deal for strength/power. But it does not lower body fat the way aerobics will, and it will not defelop muscliture like a targeted workout (say freeweights) will.

It's also excellent for "functional flexability" and general joint health. It is good for balance and coordination. It is relaxing. And I've heard it's good for bone health, but I am not sure how.

GLW
03-22-2001, 05:37 PM
Taijiquan can be a low impact aerobic exercise but you have to do it correctly.

Just gliding through a long form is not going to do it.

You have to work the legs, do low stances, do line basics of techniques out of the form over and over, do body alignment drills, etc...

The key is you have to practice in such a way that your heart rate gets into the aerobic range and stays there for over 20 minutes...and you have to sweat....

In my classes, beginners will often have it easy for a while...and then they get to the part where it is time to drill on the technique...that first class they walk out very wet from sweat and I usually hear "I didn't realize that Taijiquan was so aerobic"