PDA

View Full Version : Could I become good at martial arts?

jethro
03-02-2006, 09:50 PM
I smoke like a pack a day, have a beer gut, and have NO NONE flexibility whatsoever. Maybe this is from years of being lazy. I used to get in fights all the time, and felt that I had some real skillz. But now, I wouldn't dare challenge anyone who is bigger than me. I may be able to quit smoking one day(well maybe not the good stuff), but I am willing to learn based on your feedback.

SimonM
03-03-2006, 12:41 AM

Go back to troll school.

GreenCloudCLF
03-03-2006, 06:07 AM
I smoke like a pack a day, have a beer gut, and have NO NONE flexibility whatsoever. Maybe this is from years of being lazy. I used to get in fights all the time, and felt that I had some real skillz. But now, I wouldn't dare challenge anyone who is bigger than me. I may be able to quit smoking one day(well maybe not the good stuff), but I am willing to learn based on your feedback.

Fat...lazy...bad cardio...smokes...no flexibility???

Only one option for you....Wing Chun!!!:eek:

David Jamieson
03-03-2006, 06:53 AM
If you change your attitude, you can change your life.

Chief Fox
03-03-2006, 08:38 AM
I hate lazy people. :mad:

monkeyfoot
03-03-2006, 09:04 AM

LMAO **** it you beat me to it :D

shaolinboxer
03-03-2006, 01:37 PM
There are a few aikido schools I know of you'd fit in at.

Bring a banjo and your own recycled plastic "sport" bottle filled with Evian.

viper
03-03-2006, 04:48 PM
I practice wing chun and im surprised by ur description alot of people fit it its funny. I think if you want to be good at martial arts quit smoking drugs and eating junk its not a thing you get good at its a way of life. You just have to be willing to put in you only get out what you put in practice and time will bring the physical skill i think youre after but a mental state is youre job to change.

"perception is reality"

Emeraldphoenix
03-03-2006, 05:00 PM

Only one option for you....Wing Chun!!!

You're killing me.

Jethro. The answer is NO.:D

Mr Punch
03-03-2006, 11:23 PM

Only one option for you....Wing Chun!!!:eek:LMAO!

Mat (6'1", 78 kgs, bout 10% body fat, don't smoke, can still kick head height with no warm up, touch palms to the floor with knees locked etc, workout every day...)

OK, OK, to answer the question: yes you can, but you're going to need to work. Even if you have loads of natural talent you have to work. Nowadays I have to stretch every day to keep up the flexibility I used to take for granted. And don't smoke until after 1800. Then smoke one cigarette an hour. You should quit but that'll be a start, by setting yourself a realistic achievable goal first - otherwise your attitude will not change.

Jules
03-04-2006, 08:16 AM
Mat, do you really only have 10% body fat? I thought that men were supposed to have at least 18% to be healthy, and anything under that you were either A) dead or B) a supermodel. ;)

~~Jules

Shaolinlueb
03-04-2006, 09:35 AM

hjahahahahahaha

true.

oh wait. sounds like a hard ass, maybe bjj too.

viper
03-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Jules the percentage for men is 16% optium women is 23 % and you wont be dead prob after 4% im 8% fat serves many purposes in the body oppisitie of what most people think.

GreenCloudCLF
03-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Jules the percentage for men is 16% optium women is 23 % and you wont be dead prob after 4% im 8% fat serves many purposes in the body oppisitie of what most people think.

Actually 18-20% is average for men, with 22-24% being average for women.

Some say being less than 10% is unhealthy (but that's debatable).

viper
03-04-2006, 08:04 PM
From the stats ive seen its 16 but 2% dont mean nothing yeh its debatable i think about the fact that organs need fat to insulate wat happen when you get below 4%

GreenCloudCLF
03-04-2006, 08:18 PM
From the stats ive seen its 16 but 2% dont mean nothing yeh its debatable i think about the fact that organs need fat to insulate wat happen when you get below 4%

Yeah I'm sure we can all agree 2% is bad...but some people stay at 8% for long periods of time, that is why I was saying below 10% being bad is debatable.

Mr Punch
03-04-2006, 08:59 PM
I was exagerrating.

I am 15.8% according to my possibly dodgy bodyfat measuring scales. I usually hugely fluctuate with those scales between 14 and 20... prob average around 16.5. The doc reckoned I was about 12% at my last medical.

Jason Martell
03-05-2006, 12:52 AM

most of the people here are not behaving like a martial artist, and if they loved their art they would encourage you to study. Work hard, try hard and you'll be fine. Excericse has more affect on your body than what you put into it, although it would be much easier on you if you quit smoking. When I first studied TKD, during the first month I pueked on a daily basis, but without quitting smoking I still got in shape. The smoking just makes it take longer. If you have a beer guy though you will have to diet for a little while untill you lose the weight while studying at the same time. Then once you lose the weight you will probably be able to keep it off as long as you keep training. But do not make the mistake of waiting untill you get in shape before you start training, or it will never happen.

Matrix
03-05-2006, 09:51 AM

Only one option for you....Wing Chun!!!:eek: I was going to recommend golf, but Wing Chun will do. ;)

David Jamieson
03-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Actually 18-20% is average for men, with 22-24% being average for women.

yeah american men and women. lol

the rest of us don't have the problems with obesity that america is struggling with.

canada the average is 13-16% for men 15-18% for women.

unless of course you're way up north, where you better be higher or your scrawny ass will be part of another iceflow for the mccartneys to wander onto thinking it's newfoundland when it's really p.e.i. :p

FuXnDajenariht
03-05-2006, 09:49 PM
:p .........

GreenCloudCLF
03-06-2006, 05:07 AM
yeah american men and women. lol

the rest of us don't have the problems with obesity that america is struggling with.

canada the average is 13-16% for men 15-18% for women.

unless of course you're way up north, where you better be higher or your scrawny ass will be part of another iceflow for the mccartneys to wander onto thinking it's newfoundland when it's really p.e.i. :p

It's only right that you guys are smaller than Americans...after all you are America JUNIOR!!!!:p

Trey
03-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Are you guys saying im unhealthy....?
Jk, it doesnt really matter if you say its unhealthy to NOT be fat. I just think it looks better LoL.

GreenCloudCLF
03-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Are you guys saying im unhealthy....?
Jk, it doesnt really matter if you say its unhealthy to NOT be fat. I just think it looks better LoL.

I read an article last year, that was reviewing a study. It said that the less people weigh the less they were prone to chronic illnesses (cancer etc...). It also said there was no lower limit to this, so theoretically they were saying a 75 lb person has less health concerns than a 150 lb person.

They did state that the exception was eating disorders. So if a person is eating and workingout, but doesn't put on weight they are fine...

Just something interesting...

Trey
03-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Thats some good info there GreenCloud. thanks.

David Jamieson
03-06-2006, 08:00 PM
It's only right that you guys are smaller than Americans...after all you are America JUNIOR!!!!:p

not smaller, fitter. :p

as for the junior thing, i thought that was mexico man. Canada has always been bigger and we're on top, so take that and like it. :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-07-2006, 01:29 AM
if your question was serious dont sweat it my man.

i used to train with a bunch of good ol' boys who liked to train kung fu just to beat the snot out of people. they didnt talk about it either ... they went to bars and did it. there were a few typical athletes in there, but most of them had the same bad habbits after years of training.

now im not saying that you wouldnt be better off to quit your bad habbits, but you you don't have to wait to start martial arts.

unless your competeing you can build up all the endurance you "need" in just a few months without cutting back on anything. then you can decide if you want to take it up a notch or not.

ultimately you would be better off to quit the smoking and such, but if you are just waiting to kick your bad habbits it may never happen. you'd be better off to let martial arts be themotivation to to do so.

GreenCloudCLF
03-07-2006, 07:53 AM
not smaller, fitter. :p

as for the junior thing, i thought that was mexico man. Canada has always been bigger and we're on top, so take that and like it. :D

You're only on top cause that's how WE like it...just like sex...:eek:

PangQuan
03-07-2006, 11:36 AM
a large part of becoming good at martial arts is sacrifce.

every martial artist that has achieved what could be considered good skills in martial arts, have made sacrifices.

its comes down to deciding what your goals in the martial arts are. then realizing in absolute truth what road you must follow to achieve those goals.

people have different goals in the martial art. certain goals will require different types of actions.

find your goal, realize the truth, decide, act, and continue on with out letting up at all.

depending on your goals you may be looking at an entire life overhaul.

good luck

Iron_Eagle_76
03-07-2006, 12:18 PM
There are a few aikido schools I know of you'd fit in at.

Bring a banjo and your own recycled plastic "sport" bottle filled with Evian.

This quote truly made my day.

jethro
03-07-2006, 02:35 PM
I am one of those people who carries around my 2 liter bottle of wild oats market water. So what. WHAT'S WRONG WITH WATER. Thanks for the feedback though.:D

SimonM
03-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Just remember that Evian spelled backwards is....

Naive.

David Jamieson
03-07-2006, 05:08 PM
You're only on top cause that's how WE like it...just like sex...:eek:

ok dude, now you're just creeping me out. :D

jethro
03-23-2006, 06:27 PM
So I have started looking the past week for a school. Does anyone know where I should go. I am looking for a school that works on strengthening your body before you learn techniques and styles. So sounds like I watch too much master killer, huh, well I do and if this is not the way to learn , THAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME.

By the way I live in Omaha, nebraska as you can see and will take advice from anybody who lives within like a hundred mile radius of me, especially since Iowa is like 5-10 miles away.

I am the one who is kinda fat, smokes, drinks, BUT NOT LAZY, again I can quit all of these for the most part, I do love my Killian's.

A lot of you said wing chun, currently I am looking at taekwondo school, but really doesn't feel right for me. I would really like to study hung-gar, but again, I am not chinese and in flexibility, I could be considered of a troll race, but again I want to gain flexibility and strenghth my untoned worthless body:p before learning how to fight. Are there schools like this or am I just really out of it and this is only in the movies.

So any body who lives near me let me know, money isn't a problem unless of course it becomes too outrageous.
:D :D :D

Oso
03-23-2006, 08:05 PM
I do love my Killian's.

for the love of malt, will somebody please ban him?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Step 1: Start drinking a real beer. Your kung fu will never be good drinking that crap.

Step 2: Start training somewhere, anywhere. Even if it's a bad TKD school, you'll be exercising to some extent on a regular basis. You could start at a hard core school but, really, what you maybe need to do is just start doing some roadwork 3-5 times a week.

but, I still think maybe you are just trolling ;)

jethro
03-23-2006, 08:12 PM
I can't thank you for the unconstructive criticism, but yeah, I should get into shape before I start attending class.

But I had to write a post to tell you that your use of trolling in a sentence was excellent. :D

Oso
03-23-2006, 08:24 PM
uhhh, Killian's doesn't take like anything but Coors with red food coloring in it.

apparently what you don't like is very hoppy (bitter) beers. There are plenty of low hop and/or high malt beers that are GOOD beers and aren't bitter.

but, I think you knew that already.;)

wdl
03-23-2006, 09:48 PM
uhhh, Killian's doesn't take like anything but Coors with red food coloring in it.

apparently what you don't like is very hoppy (bitter) beers. There are plenty of low hop and/or high malt beers that are GOOD beers and aren't bitter.

but, I think you knew that already.;)

GUINNESS!

Low hop, some malt, and GOOD! Oh and yeah, your Kung Fu is better with Guinness!

Guinness is a good gateway beer to better, stronger beer!

-Will

jethro
03-23-2006, 10:08 PM
alright, whatever, here's my list.

1.) THE RED STUFF
2.) independence day(sam adam's)
3.) rollign rock and corona, the only kinds I can eat and drink with and corona with a lime OF COURSE
4.)fat tire
5.) i don't drink when I run the stores dry of those

So why don't you go suck on that and your natural steel reserve tonight;)

wdl
03-24-2006, 10:17 AM
alright, whatever, here's my list.

You drink weak beer, your kung fu will suck.

A few favorites:

Stouts/Porters:
Guinness
Young's Ram Double Chocolate Stout
Rogue Shakespeare Stout, Chocolate Stout, Mocha Porter
Old Rasputin Imperial
And a bunch of microbrews from across the Eastern US you can't buy on the store shelves.

There are some Red/Brown Ales I like, but I've pretty much settled on Porter and Stout as my prefered beer. The biggest difference between beer your listing and I'm listing is brewing method. Everything you listed is Lager, personally I'm not fond of lager especially domestic US Lager. How Killian's gets away with calling itself a Lager'd Irish Red is kinda beyond me other than brilliant Coor's marketing. Don't try and troll on the beer subjet around here, I don't post here often, but I can tell you, you won't win a beer argument here.

Oso: I still need to make it over to Ashville sometime and grab a beer with you.

-Will

Oso
03-24-2006, 12:50 PM
I actually don't drink much Guinness these days.

Now that we have real beer in NC there are too many other great options.

Yea, you can't troll beer on this forum, that's for sure.

Will, hit me up w/ a PM whenever you want to swing buy.

wdl
03-24-2006, 01:07 PM
I actually don't drink much Guinness these days.

Now that we have real beer in NC there are too many other great options.

Yea, you can't troll beer on this forum, that's for sure.

Will, hit me up w/ a PM whenever you want to swing buy.

Yeah, that's my thing with Guinness, it's good, but the options outway it 10 to 1 now. I'll be sure to PM you whenever I'm over in your neck of the woods.

Btw, is the Greenman of the Wood still in Asheville? Last time I was there the beer was fair, but the food was pretty good.

-Will

Oso
03-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Yea, it's still there but I don't care for their beer at all.

The best thing going right now is Highland's Tasgall. A scottish style wee-heavy coming in at 8%. The best place to drink it is at the Mellow Mushroom.

wdl
03-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Yea, it's still there but I don't care for their beer at all.

The best thing going right now is Highland's Tasgall. A scottish style wee-heavy coming in at 8%. The best place to drink it is at the Mellow Mushroom.

8%? Not bad. There's a place up in Downington, PA that makes an Imperial Stout at 11.9%. The stuff almost smells like a liquor. Very Tasty. I have a hard time finding the Highland Oatmeal Porter on good taps in Knoxville. Half of the time I get it and it tastes very saline. Apparently no one cleans the lines for the Oatmeal Porter. I've been to the Mellow Mushroom over there once, great selection.

-Will

Oso
03-24-2006, 02:44 PM
yea, I'm picky about the way people keep thier taps as well.

Tasgall stands head and shoulders above the Oatmeal. some of it has to do with the ABV but really, it's just a great tasting brew. The brewer used to be with Catawba Brewing out of Hickory and is responsible for another beer, the Brown Bear Stout, that I like.

Crushing Fist
03-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Mellow Mushroom is all the way up to Asheville now?

wow.

I like a good oatmeal stout, or a rye pale ale

I just found this limited edition Bigfoot "barley-wine style" ale that came in at like 11% or more.

One of my fav locals is Terrapin out of Athens.

they did an oatmeal-coffee stout that had a real kick... if you like that sort of thing.

Anyway, I like my beer like a like my women...

bitter

wdl
03-24-2006, 04:06 PM
yea, I'm picky about the way people keep thier taps as well.

Tasgall stands head and shoulders above the Oatmeal. some of it has to do with the ABV but really, it's just a great tasting brew. The brewer used to be with Catawba Brewing out of Hickory and is responsible for another beer, the Brown Bear Stout, that I like.

Oh cool, they Downtown Brewery in Knoxville had a stout on tab from Catawba for awhile when the Downtown only had a few beers during start up. It was pretty good. I don't remember which one it was. I'll have to see if I can't find the Brown Bear around here somewhere or just make a trip over to Ashville one day.

The worst I've ever tasted out of a tap was the Market Street Brewery in Nashville Downtown. The tap had such a sour taste you couldn't tell you were drinking stout.

-Will

wdl
03-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Mellow Mushroom is all the way up to Asheville now?

wow.

I like a good oatmeal stout, or a rye pale ale
I just found this limited edition Bigfoot "barley-wine style" ale that came in at like 11% or more.
One of my fav locals is Terrapin out of Athens.
they did an oatmeal-coffee stout that had a real kick... if you like that sort of thing.

I've yet to sample the brews out of Atlanta. Just haven't been down there looking for suds yet. I'll remember your recommendations.

-Will

Crushing Fist
03-24-2006, 04:12 PM
wdl -

when you do, don't leave out Sweetwater 420

or the Sweet Georgia Brown

There are some good micros around here... try hitting The Four Seasons Brewpub

wdl
03-24-2006, 04:17 PM
There are some good micros around here... try hitting The Four Seasons Brewpub

As time goes on, it's getting easier to find good microbrew everywhere. :)

Btw, there are two Mellow Mushroom's in Knoxville now and the one in Asheville I think has been there awhile. The beer selection at the one in Asheville is much better though in my opinion. Alot of that has to do with the distribution of beer in East Tn. Alot of beer you can get in Nashville/Asheville/etc you can't get in Knoxville because they don't bring it here.

-Will

Oso
03-24-2006, 05:12 PM
MM has been all the way up in Boone for like 10 years now. They even opened a spot in Blowing Rock about 5 years ago. I didn't used to like their dough...the dough at the one in Boone was always over proofed. But the one in asheville is better.

Sweatwater's Exodus is one of my favorites as well.

Asheville has more good beer because of the hippies.

THE ONLY CONCESSION I WILL EVER GIVE TO A GAWDANG HIPPIE...ever.

barley wines rock too. There is a brewery down in Tampa that does a good one.

I drink the Flying Dog Barleywine fairly often.

Ok...next October we need an Eastern Division of KFM contingent at Asheville's

www.brewgrassfestival.com

I like my beer like I like my wimmin: dark, sweet and creamy. :cool:

all this conversation has kindled my appetite for pizza and beer...I'm off to MM and a mushroom, onion and sausage with plenty of Tasgall to wash it down with.

wdl
03-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Ok...next October we need an Eastern Division of KFM contingent at Asheville's

www.brewgrassfestival.com

That would be awesome! The Victory from Downington PA is on the list. I've been to their brewpub a few times traveling through the area.

The Rocky River isn't brewing in Pigeon Forge anymore, that was the best brew made in East Tenn I've had yet. The porter was awesome. Had smoked malt in it which gave it a flavor unique to porters I've had.

-Will

jethro
03-24-2006, 09:19 PM
I can go through like a 30 pack a week, but if i keep looking on here, i am gonna go through a hell of a lot more. i need to get back to writing all of these down and do some searching, thanks.:D

dainos
03-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Mat, do you really only have 10% body fat? I thought that men were supposed to have at least 18% to be healthy, and anything under that you were either A) dead or B) a supermodel. ;)

~~Jules

uhhhh what are you smoking? many people i know are healthy and under 10%
im 4% or less who knows

jethro
03-25-2006, 09:37 PM
This should probably be under the jeet kune do forum, but I heard bruce had like 1 or 2 % body fat, I also heard this could have been one of the many factors in his death.

chud
03-25-2006, 11:08 PM
I think that you should start training. If you find a good school and enjoy the training it will start to have an effect on the rest of your life; you will be inspired to smoke and drink less, eat a bit healthier, etc.