PDA

View Full Version : What are you weaknesses? How do you work with them? What are your strengths?

Jules
03-04-2006, 09:00 AM
The thread about "Can I ever be good at marital arts" got me wondering about this. I'm sure everyone here has a weakness or something that they just can't seem to get right in Kung Fu. Well, maybe not those who have been doing it all their lives perhaps, but some of us who have been doing it for a few years or less might still be working through a lot of these problems.

So, what is everyone's weakness in Kung Fu? Is it a health issue (pain, stamina, lack of flexibility,) or a mental block? And how are you trying to overcome it? And what are your favorite things to accomplish?

I guess my main issue is that when I was twelve I somehow managed to get severe early onset arthritis in both my legs. I've been tested for Lyme disease, and it wasn't that, so no doctor has ever been able to figure it out. When I was 21 I had an operation because the cartiledge in my left knee tore, fodled in half, and locked my knee in a bent position. During the operation he scraped away a lot of the bone growths in the joint. I was supposed to eventually have the right one done, but I never did.

I think the best thing I can do about that is build strength so that the muscles support the joints better. It only interferes with Kung Fu when I have to get into a crouched position for a long time.

I can't yet hit as hard as I'd like, either, but I hope that will change with even more traning. Maybe my other main problem is how awkward I am. I have a tendency to flail when I'm not paying attention, to not hit every stance, and, as some of my sehing and sije tell me, to "dance" through forms. Which, believe me, looks very stupid (I am very tall, with long limbs--think of a big, awkward bird,) and is even less effective.

And I guess my other issue is that I'm afraid to hit people. Even in drills, I always pull punches and kicks at the last second. I know I really have to get over that.

I guess my strength is flexibility. I'm like a bendy-straw.

And my favorite thing to acomplish is kicks. Any kind of Kung Fu kick; I love them all. I love line drills and repitition; even when training brothers and sisters seem to be getting tired of it, I just want to keep going, especially if we're drilling kicks over and over for the entire night. So hopefully someday maybe I can count kicking as a strength.

So, how about everyone else? I'm curious to see if I'm the only one struggling with these issues, or struggling at all. :D

~~Jules

David Jamieson
03-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Everyone is struggling to get, keep or maintain their kungfu, even those who have mastered systems still struggle with them, still have weakenesses and still have questions.

that's the nature of training in a discipline. It requires hard work, mindfulness and will to continue on day in and day out.

The benefits of practice outweigh the detriments of not practicing. not only for martial ability, but for general quality of life issues.

a person who maintains health and strength will naturally have a mouch fuller and more enjoyable existance than someone who abuses tehmselves constantly for instant gratification, is slothful, viceful or you name it. Your body can only take that sh1t from you for so long. Sometimes it gets to a point where it's too late and you've really screwed yoruself because of your laziness, addictions, malaise, self pity etc etc. The more you participate in these destructive ways and uphold the attitudes that accompany them, then teh sh1ttier your life will be as you take your trips around the sun.

I;d rather not be some fat lazy out of shape burger eating couch monkey ***** of a mna na dinstead put my efforts in, have my luxuries and playtime and live a better quality of life with a better frame of mind.

from physical practices and mental practices, I..or anyone can get that.

Jules
03-04-2006, 12:18 PM
The more you participate in these destructive ways and uphold the attitudes that accompany them, then teh sh1ttier your life will be as you take your trips around the sun.

It's true. Your body believes everything you tell it.

I;d rather not be some fat lazy out of shape burger eating couch monkey ***** of a mna na dinstead put my efforts in, have my luxuries and playtime and live a better quality of life with a better frame of mind.

I hope the same goes for everyone here. :)

from physical practices and mental practices, I..or anyone can get that.

Do you think that anyone at all could have really excellent Kung Fu, regardless of other circumstances, by working extremely hard? Or do you think that natural aptitude has a lot to do with it?

~~Jules

Becca
03-04-2006, 11:22 PM

That was truely quote-worthy... I'm in awe.:cool: :D

So, what is everyone's weakness in Kung Fu? Is it a health issue (pain, stamina, lack of flexibility,) or a mental block? And how are you trying to overcome it? And what are your favorite things to accomplish?

My problem is caused by all of the above, but it is mose obvious in ma pa (extreme low horse stance) I dislocated my hip almost 10 years ago. while there is always going to be some weekness due to nerve injury, there is nothing medically preventing me from doing low stances well, except my mind. Basically, it hurts like h#ll to work it hard, and I just haven't been able to get around that yet. But I also know that the pain is lack-of-use pain and not injury pain. I spent many years not pushing my hip and it has become acustomed to being babied. Untill I can come to grips with it and force myself to push through the pain, I can't work on the stamina or flexability very well. But the upside is that as I get better at working through the pain, the less pain itself seems to bother me.:)