PDA

View Full Version : How important is it to consider the type of opponent you are facing??

Eight Immortals
03-22-2001, 05:13 PM
Do you guys consider these yin yang pairs, and in your opinion how imprtant is it??
Ex.
Is the opponent tall/short, heavy/light, left handed/right handed,fast/slow, a puncher/kicker, an inside fighter/outside fighter, grappler/boxer etc.
Share a thought!! :D

wujidude
03-22-2001, 07:45 PM
I guess I wonder in real-time down-and-dirty conflict how much consideration you could actually give to these attributes of your opponent. I mean, you typically aren't going to be in a fight with someone you know well enough where you could assess all those categories beyond the obvious physical ones of tall/short, heavy/light . . . you're gonna have to engage your opponent to figure out left/right side strength, inside/outside, etc. and the fight may be over by then . . . I don't know if this gets at what you're looking for but I'd enjoy hearing from others.

Esteban
03-22-2001, 08:06 PM
Hi,

the general/'s answwer wourld be "Know your opponent and know yourself; and in 1000 battles, you will be victorious." So, you might say that knowing the opponent is no more important than self-knowledge. But, then the question becomes "knowledge of what?" Well, for you, that means "knowing where you are" and "knowing what you are doing." What you are doing is analyzing the one facing you. So, it's tactically important to see the difference between confronting Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Mike Tyson, or Hulk Hogan. "What you are doing" will change according to the circumstances. Anyway, there are those who give general rules, such as: "if you opponent has a strong bottom, attack his top" etc/ But, after all, this is obvious. Doesn't mean we can do it, especially if the other guy has a plan, but that's the art of war.

Best,
Esteban

OldFatBaldGuy
03-22-2001, 08:31 PM
determine if your opponent is armed or unarmed....everything else will fall quickly into place after that.

Respectfully,
OldFatBaldGuy

"Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change."

razakdigital
03-22-2001, 10:04 PM
try to be calm and view everything around you...so no fear...and what is important...HAVE FAITH IN YOUR SKILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZ

if you don't you lost the battle all ready...isnt that what we pay for????

count
03-23-2001, 01:10 AM
I wouldn't change my game plan over it. Mostly I look at what my opponent likes to do and attack before he can do it. I try to figure out their best range and get inside of it. If the opponent is right handed I like to switch to a left handed style. But above all, I try not to have any set ideas or techniqes in my mind. Just watch or feel where they are going to go and beat them there.

Water Dragon
03-23-2001, 01:32 AM
I have a few things I like for people bigger than me and a few for people smaller than me. Some one my size qualifies as "bigger". That's about the extent of it.

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

YiLiChuan2
03-27-2001, 08:58 PM
To me it shouldn't matter what the size of your opponite (sp) is. If you practiced your techniques enough then it shouldn't matter. The results will differ on the size and shape of your opponite. If you start worrying about winning or loosing or other things, then it becomes a game and someone has to loose in a game. But then again I could be full of it too.

Dan

ope
03-27-2001, 09:16 PM
I think recognising what type of MA your opponite does is important.. if he is an outside fighter get inside to defeat them.. if there inside fighter keep them outside to defeat them etc.. i think thats why its also very important to learn a variety of differnt styles it is important espacialy if your facing another Martial artist.

blacktaoist
03-27-2001, 10:37 PM
When in a real fight, there is no time to feel out your opponent! If you have a firm stancework, good endurance of blows, combative experience and a strong physique then by all means attack, but your techniques should be very treacherous and totally unpredictable! Your mindset should be fatal. Destroy your opponents psychological line of defence with powerful and effective strikes. My sifu always tell me, once a person can integrate relaxation with tension,clear-cut movements with treacherous bodywork and mental vigilance with physical ability, a person will have success in combat. So be fatal in a fight, and also have a practical approach, representing specifie yin and yang methods. peac

maoshan
03-28-2001, 07:35 AM
What he said.

Maoshan

khinbu
03-28-2001, 10:14 AM
If we put our focus on what our opponent's ability, then we cannot fight! We must not concentrate on one point/person/attack, but on one condition. And that one condition can consist of one, two, twenty person, etc. This is what I learned and teach:

Fighting is like water flowing,
Continuously without ending.
Filling the empty,
Guarding the full.
Left guarding right,
Right guarding left.
From inside I must move fast,
From outside I can rest for a while.
I don't care about him,
All I care is his attack.
Fighting is like catching fish with a net,
Lure him then trap him down.
Not in one point we focus,
But in one condition.
All I know is,
Whenever any attack comes to my circle,
I guard it and counter attack the source.
The key is the direction,
Any attack has its weaknesses.

Wish for peace

Sam Wiley
03-28-2001, 04:47 PM
There is a Classic handed down within the Yang family that says we are to size up an opponent like that, and basically it says use strength to overcome weakness and skill to overcome strength. It goes on to say also that we should use low postures to defeat high and high to defeat low, regardless of size, and some other stuff.

I seriously doubt that I would have time to really go beyond judging whether he was large and would use power or small and would be weak. Honestly, I don't remember ever thinking about it at all, except a couple of times during arguments with somebody where I thought, "man this guy is huge, better get behind him and throw because if he hits me I'm hamburger" or something like that. Anyway, I think everything except the large and small thing comes out naturally because of trainin anyway.

"I put forth my power and he was broken.
I withdrew my power and he was ground into fine dust."
-Aleister Crowley, The Vision and the Voice