PDA

View Full Version : Chicken vs. Fighting Cockerel

xingyiman
03-22-2001, 09:03 PM
Some Xingyi styles have different chicken forms. I have noticed that in James McNeil's and Mike Patterson's Xingyi videos they demonstrate a separate Chicken and Fighting **** form. Can Anyone discuss the differences between the various Chicken, Cockerel, and Rooster forms in Xingyiquan, concerning their different combat techniques and mindset(intention)?? Thanks.

count
03-22-2001, 09:47 PM
Not sure if this is useful since I don't do hsing-I but I have seen similarities with bagua and we do have hawk, rooster and swallow techniques. They are specifically associated with Fire, wood and water energy. 3 different kinds of power issues. My guess this would be the same in Hsing-I.,

razakdigital
03-22-2001, 10:08 PM
I use it to move around my enemy...remember the animals aren't necessarly for acting like one...it's the spirit of the animal you are trying to capture...

Waidan
03-22-2001, 11:26 PM
Sorry to derail this conversation further, but Chicken, in our style (9 Palace), is very explosive and agressive. In the basic form, Chicken features several leaping, hopping steps and quick directional changes coupled with piercing palms and "pecking" strikes. I always think about how bad a rooster will freak out on you if you were to run up and grab it...the rapid strikes seem to convey that sort of despiration.

I'm curious how that compares to other styles..

bean curd
03-23-2001, 05:31 AM
i have always been told the reason the chicken/rooster is aggressive is due to the fact in chinese culture, this animal is regarded as majestic and also a great fighting animal, since it is popular in asian culture to have fighting roosters.

although the movements in some xing yi are different the intention is still the same, the rooster is full out aggressive and doesn't stand back when it decides to fight.

i have always wondered when someone was beaten with a rooster techniques how they would feel knowing a chicken had just beaten them lol

les paul
03-25-2001, 11:56 PM
In the Xingyiquan I learned, we use the chicken form agressively against a certain attack. It is usally used to counter a "wing chun type" of attack (the over your guard chain punching stuff) we performed a counter type movement while aggressively moving in to the opponent deflecting his chain punching up, out and to the sides. It also has some low kicks and a little chin-na at the closing.

les paul

MaFuYee
03-26-2001, 08:25 PM
one time, when i was a kid, i was on a farm, and threw a smooth flat stone at a chicken. - it hit the chicken in the leg, and snapped the leg.
i felt kinda bad, as it was flapping about, with it's leg hanging in an unnatural way.
i told the farmer; and we had chicken soup for lunch. - it was good.

les paul
03-27-2001, 04:50 PM
Mafuyee.....

Why is it that most of the people with a huge amount of posts on this NG have really nothing important to say?

Ma_Xu_Zha
03-27-2001, 06:55 PM
in our hsingyi our rooster form at the end shakes its body and uses elbows as if someone was trying to grab from behind and escape a body grab. It also has quick and evasive stepping forwards back and to the sides with very soft arms that whip in a palm down slapping strike.