PDA

View Full Version : a smack in the face...

junmo
03-12-2006, 03:21 AM
...will keep you honest.

Having not done any serious training in WC for the past year in Shanghai (mainly due to the lack of WC so far north) I copped a smack in the face last night in an encounter which A: re-affirmed that I need to get back into some serious training, and B: that even though the skills may slip after a prolonged break there were some core things that hadn't dissappeared (in my mind at least).

I so far from being a bad ass it's not funny - i dont pick fights and i avoid trouble always except when it gets in my face and you I have to defend myself. An american chinese rolls up on me (after watching too many hip hop videos I think) and starts getting right up in my face after words about an earlier inccident which I tried to defuse. Tried talking him down "leave it alone" etc , he's drunk, starts spouting i dont like chinese people. I'm half chinese u wanker :D
His mate is in my peripheral vision in a crowded club and I took my eyes off the prize for a split second - blam - to the cheek bone, rocks my head back but I dont go down.,

2 things seemed to stand out to me. Soon as I pushed him back he clocked me when i gave him room to move (mistake 2) (mistake 1) being I should have given it to him straight away as the fight was inevitable, especially when he was in my close range.

Soon as he clocked me I moved right in on him - no punches - pinned an arm with pak sao , albeit a sloppy one it worked still and my left hand had him in a neck pulling clasp. What do i do here? Uuuuuummmm, aaaahhhh, i'd had a few drinks too - yeah thats it pull head down and knee him in the chest/gut which sends him to the ground. He comes back up half way and i nailed him with the most natural response i had which was a right cross and sent him back down. Then I legged it.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but that in this situation when I moved back in I felt I had control of his center of gravity, and that I wanted it over as soon as possible. It wasn't pretty but it worked and got me out of there even though I made some serious errors in judgement. i really should have nailed him earlier.

Funny thing is i had my first WC session (with a one of Gary Lams students I met over here) in months that mrning as i wanted to get back into it...talk about esp :)
After that it made me realise that skills fade quickly unless worked upon, but the principles can still help you if you stick to them.

I think i was lucky to get out of it relatively unscathed

Matrix
03-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Hindsight is always 20/20 but that in this situation when I moved back in I felt I had control of his center of gravity, and that I wanted it over as soon as possible. It wasn't pretty but it worked and got me out of there even though I made some serious errors in judgement. i really should have nailed him earlier. I think you've learned a very valuable lesson here. There is a point at which you can no longer be a nice guy. Once the line is crossed, you have to be all business. Any sign of weakness on your part will be come back to haunt you.
Good to hear that you came out of this well.
Thanks for sharing your story.

Ernie
03-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Funny thing is i had my first WC session (with a one of Gary Lams students I met over here) in months that mrning as i wanted to get back into it...talk about esp

===== Tell Peter Ernie said Hi ;)

Liddel
03-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Junmo - ive had a similar incident (years ago) where i was trying to difuse the sit which ended up biting me in the butt....

Great call Matrix !! after my punch up, my line moved way left !

A month later a guy tried to shoulder barge me in the street, instead of his shoulder meeting mine, it met my elbow ! sharp and heavy.

Ive come to realise that our actions Junmo, in these situations probably saved these punks from doing it to others the following weekend.

Theres a time and a place for anything :cool:

junmo
03-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Matrix, liddell,

Totally agree with you. Thats the standout point in my mind when I was breaking it down yesterday was I had the thought I could just uppercut him right now or take his head back and down when he was first in my face and I didn't - Geez Im a nice guy!:D I'll know better next time. nice will get you killed maybe. Training has now gone back to being a regular thing this just made it more pertinent.

Ernie,

Yeah its Peter, hooked up with him first early last year - used to meet in the park or behind this hotel and go at it - freaks the locals out -wheres al the chi power and slow moving tai chi your messing with the vibe of the park man!!:D Havent seen him for a while 'cause of work but I'm committed to going back for a bit 'o' biff - peters a great bloke and he has obviously picked up good skills and trainign from your sifu - seen some of the vids too - very nice.

Ernie
03-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Ernie,

Yeah its Peter, hooked up with him first early last year - used to meet in the park or behind this hotel and go at it - freaks the locals out -wheres al the chi power and slow moving tai chi your messing with the vibe of the park man!!:D Havent seen him for a while 'cause of work but I'm committed to going back for a bit 'o' biff - peters a great bloke and he has obviously picked up good skills and trainign from your sifu - seen some of the vids too - very nice.

Junmo
hey are you Doug's buddy ? one of Anthony's guys ?
hit me on a PM if you don't want your stuff out in public :D

Yep Pete's a great guy to work with , non stop and a tough dude , I'm glad he's doing his thing and meeting other good guys

Thanks for checking out the site and the kind words ,,,,, nothing special here man just putting one foot in front of the other ;)

Zhuge Liang
03-14-2006, 06:04 AM
Hey Junmo,

I sent you a pm. I'm currently in Shang Hai if you want to hook up.

Regards,
Alan

junmo
03-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Ernie,

Nah dunno 'em I got a crunchy base layer of Lee Sing, some Chu Chong Tin filling, with a sprinkling of David Peterson for xtra flavour :D Saw Peter last night - he's got some hardcore drills he puts himself through. I'm wrecked :)

Zhuge,

I PM'ed you. You should come and see Peter if you are stil around. He's open minded to meeting new people, especially her - WC is pretty scarce.

Keng Geng
03-14-2006, 12:14 PM
1. Wing Chun as an art seems to attract the nice guy. So when it comes to fighting, we tend to take a couple.

2. When you've had some to drink, the truth comes out, in all respects. Use the drinking not as an excuse (not that you were) but a mirror. It will tell you what you've gained from Wing Chun and what you're lacking.

Ernie
03-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Ernie,

Nah dunno 'em I got a crunchy base layer of Lee Sing, some Chu Chong Tin filling, with a sprinkling of David Peterson for xtra flavour :D Saw Peter last night - he's got some hardcore drills he puts himself through. I'm wrecked :)

Zhuge,

I PM'ed you. You should come and see Peter if you are stil around. He's open minded to meeting new people, especially her - WC is pretty scarce.

haha Peter is a machine ! i miss working out with that guy , God forbid he puts you on pole drills !!!!!!!

you should get together with Alan as well he is real cool people

junmo
03-15-2006, 10:40 AM
keng geng,

yeah by nature I'm pretty friendly and i try to avoid trouble , also being a lao wei in china means I dont want to be the one starting any s**t 'cause it will come back at me potentially and wreck more important things I am doing here, so yeah i took a shot to the face. Not being a hero, but in this incident thats the way it turned out. Drunk is no excuse - I'll be the 1st to put my hand up and say I'm not what I used to be, but my natural attrition (I still work out very regualrly) was enough to get me out of the situation. I',m only a little tacker but I can take licks and this guy let me line him up twice and the right cross i hit him with was real real hard - I would put money in it that he was waking up a lot worse than I was over it. Any way I am back into it so no more slacking:)

Ernie,
the poel drills are masochistic. I see can see the benefits definitley . as my lee sing foundation drilled the pole alot, but that sand vest is NUTS. I will have to build my way back up to it over the nxrt few months. "How long must I saty here master?" - "make pain your friend!!!!" :D

Ernie
03-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Ernie,
the poel drills are masochistic. I see can see the benefits definitley . as my lee sing foundation drilled the pole alot, but that sand vest is NUTS. I will have to build my way back up to it over the nxrt few months. "How long must I saty here master?" - "make pain your friend!!!!" :D

Sand Vest ? you lost me on that one buddy ,,,,,, maybe pete is trying to kill you !:D

Eliver
03-17-2006, 12:11 AM
haha. good to hear peter is representing up there.