PDA

View Full Version : A Few Words On Size, Etc.

JoeJacari
03-15-2006, 02:50 PM
The lineage discussion has been great. Everyone had good input.

There are different variations and striations in the theme of lineage, style, etc.
It almost can never end if you slice and dice it.

Here's another angle:

Wing Chun is more about position and timing and technique, therefore it's great for those who are:

1. Female
2. Have a tiny body/undersized
3. Are skinny
4. Tall & lanky

Now, I'm talking about situations where people meet on the street and the average guy out there is:

1. A streetfighter/non-MMA type
2. Standard Karate fighter
3. Knows nothing about fighting
4. Male vs. female
5. Bigger male vs. smaller opponent.

In 1-5 directly above, the traditional/classical Wing Chun guy/lady with at least 1 year of diligent practice in a legitimate lineage will probably fare very well.

My question is what combinations would Wing Chun excell in. Are there examples, say for instance fighting a bigger guy in MMA/Grappling on the street/hard surface, where a Wing Chung guy with a smaller/tiny body might be able to prevail?

Any input on experiences of mismatching size, weight, style and Wing Chun coming out ahead would be interesting.

--J. Jacari

viper
03-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Im 5,6 ft and i weigh 62 kilos so im little ive always thought the its not the system itself its how you use it. I have been doin bjj as aswell as wc for the same time 3 years. I pose another question for you this chick u speak of year training hard gets in a street fight what about mental aspects u seem to be looking at the physical alot. Ive been in two biffs one time 5,10 boxer golden gloves he was ****y but thought i was to little basically he threw left lead jab i didnt bother to parry i already seen the shoulder and moved to position he tried to follow with a left hook by then id elbowed him in the head and kneed him the elbow was sweet the knee iced it but yeah thats probly my best the other footy player scruffed me app i was someone else but neway i just destructed his bicep and wrist locked him by then others were pullen on each other but meh.

Keng Geng
03-15-2006, 06:03 PM
I would have to say that Wing Chun, by most standards, will work immaculately against an idiot fighter.

Hatsuyuki
03-15-2006, 09:17 PM
I would have to say that Wing Chun, by most standards, will work immaculately against an idiot fighter.

Of course, 18 Daoist Palms would probably also work well against an idiot fighter :rolleyes:

Mr Punch
03-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Wing Chun is more about position and timing and technique, So are most fighting arts.
therefore it's great for those who are:

1. Female
2. Have a tiny body/undersized
3. Are skinny
4. Tall & lankyStyles are a minor part in levelling out the inequalities you have mentioned: strength, speed, conditioning, reach etc are all just as important if not more so.

Now, I'm talking about situations where people meet on the street and the average guy out there is:

1. A streetfighter/non-MMA typeWhat's a streetfighter? Somebody with that much experience on the street that you could call them a streetfighter is a mean *******, and will probably rip you a new one. Your set patterns, naivety, smugness and rhythm will be NO match for their aggression and unpredictably.

2. Standard Karate fighterLOL. Do you mean standard multicoloured patchwearing American karate, or standard kyokushinkai/seidokaikan? You are again woefully underestimating and ignorant of your subject.

3. Knows nothing about fightingLOL, yeah, that should work! See Keng Geng!

But btw I've met chunners who know nothing about fighting!

The rest of your post is similarly nonsensical. I find the best situation where a chunner will prevail over an MMAer or anybody else, is by hitting them on the back of the head with a 2x4... if their sifu is there to tell them how to do it instinctively!

NEEEXT!

Kapten Klutz
03-16-2006, 02:08 AM
I've never really understood why people chase the holy grail of a complete superior fighting system. Like you say WC seems to me to be focussed on a particular gameplan, which is that of the smaller weaker fighter: enter to very short range, utilize speed, surprise, technique and merciless nastiness to decide the fight in a very short time. It's asymmetric terrorist fighting. It's purpose isn't to guarantee a win (nothing can) but to at least give a weaker person a survival chance against a big c0cksure jerk who attacks first. Part of the point is that if you look like a bookworm the bad guy doesn't expect you to be chewing his windpipe 0.3 seconds later. Surprise, deception and disquise are all part of it. A skinny nun. But a bookworm doesn't go looking for duels agains real all-around fighters either, and sure as heck doesn't go provoking badazzes on the street.

Now maybe it turns out that it can be broadened to more equal encounters and ring-type fighting. And many police and security guards seem to find WC valuable. But for that you need other gameplans and probably need to bring in other techniqes as well. Is that so strange?

fiamacho
03-16-2006, 11:03 AM
I've never really understood why people chase the holy grail of a complete superior fighting system. Like you say WC seems to me to be focussed on a particular gameplan, which is that of the smaller weaker fighter: enter to very short range, utilize speed, surprise, technique and merciless nastiness to decide the fight in a very short time. It's asymmetric terrorist fighting. It's purpose isn't to guarantee a win (nothing can) but to at least give a weaker person a survival chance against a big c0cksure jerk who attacks first. Part of the point is that if you look like a bookworm the bad guy doesn't expect you to be chewing his windpipe 0.3 seconds later. Surprise, deception and disquise are all part of it. A skinny nun. But a bookworm doesn't go looking for duels agains real all-around fighters either, and sure as heck doesn't go provoking badazzes on the street.

Now maybe it turns out that it can be broadened to more equal encounters and ring-type fighting. And many police and security guards seem to find WC valuable. But for that you need other gameplans and probably need to bring in other techniqes as well. Is that so strange?

In all honesty this has to te the most intelligent post on Wing Chun tactics I have read. Well done Klutz the level of maturity in your post in no way reflect your name ... and NO I am not being sarcastic.

"Asymmetric terrorist" I couldn't stop laughing when I read this because it is very true. ... Well done. I also like the way that you referred to ring typoe fighting requires a change of gameplan, once again a very astute observation so many people say that Wing Chun is no good in the ring and yet the art is very adaptable , practitioners and poor Instruction are always the problem it is never the Art.

Kapten Klutz
03-17-2006, 02:25 AM
Thanks for the friendly comment. Though I've noticed here that no matter what someone says there's always someone who would disagree, so I hope someone will rip my idea to shreds too :)