PDA

View Full Version : Training with Sifu Gary Lam in Monterey Park

sihing
03-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Recently I made a decision to experience something different from what I had personally trained in before. That decision was to train with Sifu Gary Lam and his students in Monterey Park, California for approximately 9 days. The reasons why I made this decision are not really important, let’s just say it was something that I had to do for me.

If I were to choose only one word to describe my experiences at Sifu Lam’s training facility it would be either Awesome or Phenomenal. First and foremost, the people that I had an opportunity to train with were very very open with the information, and were more than willing to share that information with a complete stranger to their family such as I. Secondly, they were very effective in what they were doing with their Wing Chun. Sifu Lam is definitely someone with extremely high skills in Wing Chun. Not only does he have those skills, he is also an experienced and effective fighter with a great desire to share his knowledge with anyone willing to listen. His style can look “lazy” at times, but this is because he lives and breaths the system and no longer has to worry about those little details the rest of us dwell on. He is a very personable and relaxed instructor. The training at Monterey Park is very informal and non traditional, but the people that train there do so very intensely and are learning very effective Wing Chun skills. Sifu Lam is concerned with only one thing, and that is his students know the material well enough to be able to use it effectively in the shortest amount of time (I found the people training there for more than 2 years had very effective Wing Chun fighting skills). Sifu Lam’s personality is very happy go lucky, he would be laughing one minute and the next throwing someone into the mattress trying to explain the concept of “Poi Pai”. I was free to ask him any question and he answered freely, irregardless of the fact that I was a beginner in his system and a stranger to his house. If you are eager to learn and willing to put the work in, Sifu Lam can guarantee high quality Wing Chun fighting skills for you.

The other main influence for me during my stay in Monterey Park was Ernie Barrios. If it wasn’t for Ernie I would not have even known of this place, so I owe him allot. This Man has not only earned my respect as a fellow human being, but as a Martial Artist as well. He has exceptionally high skills in Wing Chun, and a few other things when you push him far enough, (I know, lol)! Not only is this Man highly capable with his hands and feet, he is able to articulate his Martial philosophy very well, so that one is capable of understanding exactly what he wants to get across to you. Once in his presents, his charisma and love for Wing Chun and Martial Arts in general transcends to you and you become engulfed in an exchange of ideas and training methods that can at times last hours upon hours. I was also able to attend one of Ernie’s “Attributes” classes, and was happy that I did so, I had so much fun and learned a ton at the same time, plus it was a great workout, my legs and shoulders were feeling it the next day, lol. Ernie was also gracious enough to set me up with some of his training buds that also trained at Sifu Lam’s school. Emil (a machine, we trained chi sao for almost 2 hours straight), Anthony (newer to Sifu Lam’s system but trains very very hard and eager to learn more), Howard (longer term student with great skills and understanding of Sifu Lam’s system), and others like Johnny & Sam (two small young guys with high quality skills), Dennis (very funny Man with years upon years of MA experience), all very gracious with their knowledge of Wing Chun and were more than willing and able to teach me many things regarding their understanding of Sifu Lam’s system. I owe them allot and I thank them now for their generosity. There were also the morning guys, Dic and Joey, both men helped me a tremendous amount and I also thank them for sharing.

On average I trained min. 4 hours each day, some days up to 7 hours. So anyone training at the school is definitely getting their money’s worth, but I will say be the end of my trip my body was weak and if I was there longer a “day off” would have been required to recoup some strength back.

I had a great 9 days of training at Sifu Gary Lam’s place. I hope to go back soon to learn more and would recommend anyone that is willing to learn something worthwhile to do the same.

If anyone has any questions regarding my visit, please feel free to ask. I will not answer any questions regarding comparisons between my Wing Chun and what I learned from Sifu Lam, as my mindset was to “empty my cup” per say and present myself as a beginner to Sifu Lam. I will say that the two systems are different, but I was able to intellectually understand most everything that I was taught on a conceptual level, just that my body was not used to moving in the way they teach it to move.

Thank you Sifu Lam and Ernie for a wonderful experience. Friendships were developed and good times were had, and I only wish that it could have lasted longer.

James Roller

P.S. There was also a fellow Canadian there, Frank, and we became roommates/friends when I decided to live on the premise. Although he was a beginner to the Martial Arts, I admire his willingness to try something different and his discipline to complete something he had started. When I arrived he was there for 2 months already, training 7 days a week, minimum 3 hours a day. When I left he has 4 more weeks to go. Keep it up Man, as this is something you will never regret doing..

Matrix
03-19-2006, 09:20 AM
If it wasn’t for Ernie I would not have even known of this place, so I owe him allot. This Man has not only earned my respect as a fellow human being, but as a Martial Artist as well. James,

First of all, thank you for this post. You know I'm not at all surprised by what you experienced. I just want to say that it takes mature person to walk out of their comfort zone and put it to a reality check as you have just done. I want to offer you big props for that.

Second, I think this shows that we can all learn from each other if we're willing to look purely beyond "lineage". Not only that, I beleive that we can all be stronger in our Wing Chun by sharing what we know, rather than enagage in petty arguements.

Once again, awesome message.
Thanks for posting.:cool:

sihing
03-19-2006, 09:37 AM
James,

First of all, thank you for this post. You know I'm not at all surprised by what you experienced. I just want to say that it takes mature person to walk out of their comfort zone and put it to a reality check as you have just done. I want to offer you big props for that.

Second, I think this shows that we can all learn from each other if we're willing to look purely beyond "lineage". Not only that, I beleive that we can all be stronger in our Wing Chun by sharing what we know, rather than enagage in petty arguements.

Once again, awesome message.
Thanks for posting.:cool:

Thanks for the cudos Bill...:o

For me it came down to the fact that I wanted to experience something different, not just observe it on a video or receive the information through a email or forum of some type. Nothing is like actually experiencing something for real. In my 17 yrs of WC training, before this trip I had only a very short experience with someone outside my own lineage, that's it. I've seen lots of videos and read allot of articles but I felt that I was not seeing something that was obviously there, my filter would not allow that.

James

Matrix
03-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Hey James,

The Kudos are well deserved, IMO.
I must admit that I was some-what shocked when I saw your post, based on some of your previous threads with Ernie. However, I'm really pleased that things have turned out so well.

Nick Forrer
03-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Well done James for trying something new

I too got a lot out of training with Gary even though I am from the same lineage

So is it GL/WSL method from now on or sticking with your old wing chun or trying to combine the two?

sihing
03-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Hey James,

The Kudos are well deserved, IMO.
I must admit that I was some-what shocked when I saw your post, based on some of your previous threads with Ernie. However, I'm really pleased that things have turned out so well.

I always realized that Ernie was talking about high level stuff, and then after one of our "heated" conversations on this forum I came to a realization that just hit me, I HAVE TO EXPERIENCE IT FOR MYSELF. Now that I have, I am so glad that I did. I've finally met a Man that is MORE into the martial arts than I and has the skills to back it up. The man is phenomenal, really. After a while when practicing with him I started to giggle, as I found it really cool to finally meet someone that has the skills I have always looked for that was at the sametime very willing to share that knowledge also. Some like to keep it for themselves or a select few, Ernie is not like this...

James

Ultimatewingchun
03-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Had to start reading James Roller's posts (again) once I saw the title of this thread.

Wow...!!!

What a change in attitude - and all to the good.

Congratulations, James.

P.S. - Nice goin', Ernie...:D

Question to James:

What is your opinion now about the value of spontaneous contact sparring - as opposed to just doing mainly drills and chi sao?

Matrix
03-19-2006, 10:17 AM
I came to a realization that just hit me, I HAVE TO EXPERIENCE IT FOR MYSELF. James,
This is where most of us fail, and you did not. It's much easier to stay in our comfort zone and rationalize why the other guy is wrong and we are right.

I must caution you against too many kudos for Ernie..
I don't want him to get a big head over this. :p ;)

stricker
03-19-2006, 10:20 AM
hey James,

yup those boys have some serious skills, not to mention the nicest most open bunch of people you'll ever meet... if anyones ever in Cali, youd be an idiot not to go hook up with them.

emil the machine hahaha definitely one of the most fired up people ive met about martial arts, even at dinner just non-stop doing chi sao etc :D

and ernie, your so right. ive met a handful of people now i consider the epitome of what a great martial artist and great person is and ernie is one of them. a true inspiration, and definitely set off a few lightbulbs. just dont ask him if those "flicky" savate kicks have any power behind them :D

it was nice meeting you too, pity we didnt get further than a little dan chi :mad: it would have been fun

all the best for the future james.

cheers.

ps if any of those guys ernie, budda fist, whoever else come across a bit harsh sometimes, theyre just playing and are so cool in real life. i mean when i first read ernies posts i thought he was a complete a55 which is so far from the truth...

sihing
03-19-2006, 10:21 AM
Well done James for trying something new

I too got a lot out of training with Gary even though I am from the same lineage

So is it GL/WSL method from now on or sticking with your old wing chun or trying to combine the two?

Well if you know anything about TWC, you will know that it is somewhat different from most of the Yip Man systems. So for now, I'm not really concerned with combining what I learned with what I know, as I really have not absorbed it all yet. I have a good understanding conceptually about what I was taught, but for example, until I fix my dam bong sau and learn how to sit, I think I should just try to physically absorb what I was taught and then possibly go down to LA for more training. I will say that what I learned before was not wasted, and Sifu Lam confirmed this thought also, it is just different in application and theory.

I will say one thing for myself in this regard, what I did learn before was engrained in me very well, so at the very least I do know for sure that I am capable of learn something well and having it reflect in a unconsious manner.

There were times when the chi-sao was totally freestyle, that I could have used my speed advantage or power advantage many times (against some of the lesser experienced students. With the seniors nothing I could have done would have worked), but I realized that when someone possess a pure skill, and can apply it spontaneously without really using those attributes, they truly have something special. Once they add on those things to their expression of the WC delivery system, it more than triples their effectiveness.

James

sihing
03-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Had to start reading James Roller's posts (again) once I saw the title of this thread.

Wow...!!!

What a change in attitude - and all to the good.

Congratulations, James.

P.S. - Nice goin', Ernie...:D

Question to James:

What is your opinion now about the value of spontaneous contact sparring - as opposed to just doing mainly drills and chi sao?

Thanks Victor, I appreciate that..

Well to tell you the truth, most all I did at Sifu Lam's school was Double arm Chi sao and drills that are included in that arena, and some Mok Jong. When I first arrived I was asked what I wanted to learn, and I said Chi-sao, stand up fighting and some Mok Jong. I did get to freestyle chi-sao with some of the seniors, and I did inquire about how they react in non contact situations. I would prefer not to really comment about those things as I really am not in a position to do so, as I was only exposed to most of Sifu Lam's level 1 system. To me all I wanted was to get a good feel for what they do and try to absorb some of it physically before I left. The best advice would be to pick up some of Sifu Lam's DVD's, as what he teaches on those is exactly what he teaches in his classes.

When I attended Ernie's attributes class, it was all non contact stuff using sticks and gloving up and doing some jab drills and stuff like that. For me this stuff was really interesting, and it was fun at the same time. Basically in my mind with the sticks the idea is to train reaction time using the sticks, because they move faster than the hands, so they "turbo" charge your body to react . Using the gloves allows us to drill certain things into our bodies, while facing a real threat. All of these things relate to using the WC engine, and to properly apply those things under real pressure. I may be wrong with my interpretations, so take it all with a grain of salt. Ernie is the man to ask about this stuff and what it all means...

James

sihing
03-19-2006, 10:44 AM
hey James,

yup those boys have some serious skills, not to mention the nicest most open bunch of people you'll ever meet... if anyones ever in Cali, youd be an idiot not to go hook up with them.

emil the machine hahaha definitely one of the most fired up people ive met about martial arts, even at dinner just non-stop doing chi sao etc :D

and ernie, your so right. ive met a handful of people now i consider the epitome of what a great martial artist and great person is and ernie is one of them. a true inspiration, and definitely set off a few lightbulbs. just dont ask him if those "flicky" savate kicks have any power behind them :D

it was nice meeting you too, pity we didnt get further than a little dan chi :mad: it would have been fun

all the best for the future james.

cheers.

ps if any of those guys ernie, budda fist, whoever else come across a bit harsh sometimes, theyre just playing and are so cool in real life. i mean when i first read ernies posts i thought he was a complete a55 which is so far from the truth...

Hey Man,

It was real cool to meet you there also. At the least I found some solice in the fact that we experienced similar things and that I wasn't the only one to feel the rath of Sifu Lam's WC, lol.:D

Yeah, those Savate Kicks, some cool sh!t indeed. You should have seen him move at the attribute class, very smooth, very balanced while at the same time able to exploded upon you before you know what happened, and the dammed grass was slippery to boot...He is a man of many talents....

I wish you the same on your journey through the Martial Arts Man, as I could tell you have that fire and willingness to do what it takes to take yourself to a higher level.

Peace.

James

stricker
03-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Thats cool. Yeah im gutted at missing the attributes thing as thats what i was really interested in seeing more than anything but i saw enough from how ernie moves and we went through some ideas about stick knive etc so ive got some ideas for new directions to explore in the future.

and yup, got real familiar with those crash mats, like you said even if garys at only 3% you get sent flying :D

ps did you get to meet andrewS at all?

sihing
03-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Thats cool. Yeah im gutted at missing the attributes thing as thats what i was really interested in seeing more than anything but i saw enough from how ernie moves and we went through some ideas about stick knive etc so ive got some ideas for new directions to explore in the future.

and yup, got real familiar with those crash mats, like you said even if garys at only 3% you get sent flying :D

ps did you get to meet andrewS at all?

No I didn't get that chance to meet Andrew. Will do on the next visit I'm sure...

Yeah, Sifu Gary's 3% is mosts 100%. I'm glad he was nice and gentle with me, but that little cresent like kick he gave me on the thigh that time we were all talking with him about kicks, that hurt, lol...:cool:

stricker
03-19-2006, 11:35 AM
im sure you will its worth it even if all you take away is his training methodology and sense of focus (or is it obsession :D) and exposure to a slightly different way of getting your ass kicked.

laters.

Ernie
03-19-2006, 01:03 PM
I once started a thread about the ''death of the yellow forum''
I'm glad I was wrong !

James ,
is the only person that deserves ''Kudo's'' here , the man took a huge leap of faith .
when he told me via our email conversations he wanted to come down , I was shocked and surprised [ as I'm sure most of you are ]
but I was impressed and moved .
at that moment I made it point to make sure when he got he here , it would be all about him . I wanted James to gain as much as he could in the short time he would be visiting , training methods that he could use , idea's , concepts , drills , ,,,,, tools that would allow him to look at the puzzle from a different angle .

I didn't want his visit to be ''look at the Ernie show , and see how kick ass my Sifu and training partners are '' that would have been a chump approach and disrespectful to the open minded and egoless nature in which James came to us .
[ so Vic though we played with some sparring concepts '' the building blocks before you spar '' I didn't think he would have got much out of a full contact session except experiencing a heavy pressure situation and an adrenaline rush ] meaning this would not have been conducive environment to pass on ''how'' to develop skills only to show case , and that's not what I wanted this to be about .

that being said you will be pleased to know James is in great shape with some fight time could do really well in a hard sparring environment , the guy is no slouch , has a serious training ethic , good speed , good balance and timing , and he will try what ever you throw at him with open mind .

James I want to thank you , thank you for taking a chance , for trusting me enough to take that chance , everyone just enjoyed your energy and loved training with you , you gave us as much as we passed on .

it was awesome how we were able to not get all caught up in the this or that lineage and this or that Sifu can do this or that blah blah blah ,,,,, we looked at things as students of wing Chun and what is the most efficient path based on choice of strategies and how do we cultivate such things with in the wing Chun system and then expand on it out side of the more traditional training methods .

we didn't waste time on fixed shapes or fixed patterns or frozen moments in time [that lineage people use to separate each other ] we looked at motion and energy feeling and change , attributes and reflex . this gave us a open forum to research and discuss

it was an honor and a blessing to be able to sit with you after all these years and arguments and just talk and train and listen .

you set a good example that all of us can learn from [myself included ] open your mind , empty your cup and grow !

Jon [sticker]

not only was Canada visiting but the UK showed up ,
dude , your just a straight up cool dude , and your like a sponge man you just absorb and study everything , you know ''how to'' train , I really liked that . the path that your on will make you one hell of a fighter I can see it in you no ego but desire and willingness to put yourself out there , you sparked that back up in me , been letting myself slip blaming it on injuries but more so mentally defeating myself ,
both your and James visit woke up my fire to train at the level I once did , thank you

I am looking forward to future run in's with you guys , so you can give me a proper beat down and teach me all that you have learned , I know you both are just beginning to shine .

so yep I was wrong about the yellow forum , it still holds a few surprises and hopefully a few more great friends

ps.
it was amazing how the few people i told about James visiting were so happy for the man , [Lawrence comes to mind] it tells you that though we argue and fight on this stupid little forum , we really do care ,,,,,,,,,,, sappy moment over

AndrewS
03-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Hey James,

glad you had a good time in LA. Sorry I missed you for dinner Friday night but an absolutely brutal cold started in on me then, and I've just become fit for company again in the last few days. I'll catch you next time out.

Jon,

A different way of getting your ass kicked? I'm a gentle lamb, focused only on channelling the universal energy to promote growthfulness and harmon- <runs to vomit> -

So when are you rolling back this way? Tommy's shuia jiao stuff has colored me impressed, btw.

Andrew

Ernie
03-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Hey James,

glad you had a good time in LA. Sorry I missed you for dinner Friday night but an absolutely brutal cold started in on me then, and I've just become fit for company again in the last few days. I'll catch you next time out.

Jon,

A different way of getting your ass kicked? I'm a gentle lamb, focused only on channelling the universal energy to promote growthfulness and harmon- <runs to vomit> -

So when are you rolling back this way? Tommy's shuia jiao stuff has colored me impressed, btw.

Andrew
Big Drew ! man if we keep spoiling them out here in LA there going to thing we went soft ! ;) catch you on the big day buddy

sihing
03-20-2006, 11:16 AM
I once started a thread about the ''death of the yellow forum''
I'm glad I was wrong !

James ,
is the only person that deserves ''Kudo's'' here , the man took a huge leap of faith .
when he told me via our email conversations he wanted to come down , I was shocked and surprised [ as I'm sure most of you are ]
but I was impressed and moved .
at that moment I made it point to make sure when he got he here , it would be all about him . I wanted James to gain as much as he could in the short time he would be visiting , training methods that he could use , idea's , concepts , drills , ,,,,, tools that would allow him to look at the puzzle from a different angle .

I didn't want his visit to be ''look at the Ernie show , and see how kick ass my Sifu and training partners are '' that would have been a chump approach and disrespectful to the open minded and egoless nature in which James came to us .
[ so Vic though we played with some sparring concepts '' the building blocks before you spar '' I didn't think he would have got much out of a full contact session except experiencing a heavy pressure situation and an adrenaline rush ] meaning this would not have been conducive environment to pass on ''how'' to develop skills only to show case , and that's not what I wanted this to be about .

that being said you will be pleased to know James is in great shape with some fight time could do really well in a hard sparring environment , the guy is no slouch , has a serious training ethic , good speed , good balance and timing , and he will try what ever you throw at him with open mind .

James I want to thank you , thank you for taking a chance , for trusting me enough to take that chance , everyone just enjoyed your energy and loved training with you , you gave us as much as we passed on .

it was awesome how we were able to not get all caught up in the this or that lineage and this or that Sifu can do this or that blah blah blah ,,,,, we looked at things as students of wing Chun and what is the most efficient path based on choice of strategies and how do we cultivate such things with in the wing Chun system and then expand on it out side of the more traditional training methods .

we didn't waste time on fixed shapes or fixed patterns or frozen moments in time [that lineage people use to separate each other ] we looked at motion and energy feeling and change , attributes and reflex . this gave us a open forum to research and discuss

it was an honor and a blessing to be able to sit with you after all these years and arguments and just talk and train and listen .

you set a good example that all of us can learn from [myself included ] open your mind , empty your cup and grow !

Jon [sticker]

not only was Canada visiting but the UK showed up ,
dude , your just a straight up cool dude , and your like a sponge man you just absorb and study everything , you know ''how to'' train , I really liked that . the path that your on will make you one hell of a fighter I can see it in you no ego but desire and willingness to put yourself out there , you sparked that back up in me , been letting myself slip blaming it on injuries but more so mentally defeating myself ,
both your and James visit woke up my fire to train at the level I once did , thank you

I am looking forward to future run in's with you guys , so you can give me a proper beat down and teach me all that you have learned , I know you both are just beginning to shine .

so yep I was wrong about the yellow forum , it still holds a few surprises and hopefully a few more great friends

ps.
it was amazing how the few people i told about James visiting were so happy for the man , [Lawrence comes to mind] it tells you that though we argue and fight on this stupid little forum , we really do care ,,,,,,,,,,, sappy moment over

I think a good time was had by all. One of the special moments was when Ernie forwarded an email sent by Lawrence for me. I read the email and was touched by what Lawrence had said. Here I was, getting support from someone that I had never even met before, telling me he has respect for what I am doing and supports it as well. Now I'm not really an emotional guy but I almost teared up a bit just thinking about what it all meant. That feeling was something I also felt from Ernie, Sifu Lam and all the others there at Monterey Park, a real live environment and with people that support you no matter what. I've felt this before with my Sifu (who has supported me many times throughout our relationship) and the kwoon in Thunder Bay/Calgary, just that in the latter years I was usually giving the support rather than receiving it. It was a nice change. It is stuff like this that really settles in my mind and heart.

I remember on my second or third day there, I said to myself I had found my Shaolin Temple. It was so cool, the way things were set up and the intensity behind the training being done. I wouldn't be surprised if someone took a picture of me with my jaw wide open with a bewildered look in my eyes, as this was a common feeling I had at times "am I really here or just imagining it all".

Andrew,

I was looking forward to meeting with you also, too bad you couldn't make the dinner, as a good time was had by all. I will say that Jon mentioned many great things about his experiences with you and that you are very dedicated to your WT and training methodologies. I did see some footage of you, as there was a DVD copy of the 2003 friendship conference held at Sifu Lam's place. In one clip you were showing some of the guys some push up techniques (looked like chinese push ups). Your enthusiasm is something all of us can look to as positive example of someone with a goal and doing what it takes to achieve that goal.
On my next visit I look forward to meeting up with you for sure.

James

stricker
03-20-2006, 12:57 PM
hey ernie thanks for the props. im super fired up right now to train too, but :mad: ...

the path im on i think has added a few more stops and detours now namely weapons, both you and andrew made a big point of that.

andrew "the gentle lamb" ill remember that one.... well it'll be a while but next time we'll have to hook up pre injury. yeah i missed out with tommy. chinese wrestling sounds like a good little avenue for research

and yeah enough with the love fest, i did bring my gumshield and gloves next time thell have to come out :D

Buddha_Fist
03-20-2006, 02:02 PM
James/Jon,

Big E said it basically all! :)

I really enjoyed sharing time & thoughts with you two. I think that this showed that everybody wins when we dare to go past our own conceptions and adventure to experience different approaches. Sometimes you'll walk away knowing that you're doing things right, and other times you'll end up blown away by an experience that makes you re-evaluate your training methods (been there before... :D ). Either way you will win for sure.

Life is too short to miss out what the world has to offer. If you have the chance to experience something that has caught your eye, do it! The opportunity may not return. You live only once.

Anyways, I'm glad to have won two new friends and I hope catching up with you in the future! :)

Take care,

Emil

lawrenceofidaho
03-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Ernie forwarded an email sent by Lawrence for me. I read the email and was touched by what Lawrence had said. Here I was, getting support from someone that I had never even met before, telling me he has respect for what I am doing and supports it as well.
James,

learning about what you were doing was unexpected news. When I first heard it, I went from being surprised, then to excited (for you to have the opportunity and to be making the most of it), and finally to feeling inspired by what you were taking on. -I mean, I know it wasn't easy to fly hundreds of miles from home, by yourself, and visiting the home turf of some rivals you've spent the past couple of years debating against (and sometimes arguing with). It took some real guts and ba11s to accept an invitation like that (which most people probably lack the courage for.)

A lot of martial artists talk about being open minded, testing themselves & their ideas, and putting themselves on the line, but it's very cool when someone actually steps up and does it. -I admire your integrity........

I sent that e-mail to you via Ernie because I just wanted you to know that I thought what you were doing was great and that it was uplifting for a change to see someone putting their money where their mouth is and doing something real.

Even though we haven't met face-to-face, it really helped to make my week just knowing that you were down there taking a chance like that to learn first-hand what others are doing in order to help make yourself a better and more informed martial artist & teacher.

I think that what you did sets a great example and is worthy of respect.

-Lawrence

RedJunkRebel
03-20-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm getting jealous with all this Wing Chun love going around. I'm down in the OC and would love to come up and meet you guys. I've got a buddy thats gung ho about Wing Chun as well that wouldn't take much talkin into at all into coming up on a Saturday or Sunday to train. I spoke briefly to Ernie about this last week or so, but all these positive vibrations make me want to jump on the bandwagon quickly.

Ernie
03-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Adam,
no worries man doors always open at Gary's , I will be busy for the next few weekends , going snowboarding !!! . but just give Gary a call . let him know your coming down he welcomes everybody .

also darkwater on this forum is one of Gary's guys he lives in the OC if you want pm him . i think he has a little group just starting out training that way .

every one is real cool no head cases .

peace E.

L-boogie ,
i was real hyped as well, it was just fun having some KFO fam. down to train with . still need to get you and justin out here for a few :D

hope all is well , give A shout out to the Boise crew for me

RedJunkRebel
03-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks, Ernie. Have fun in the snow.

Jeff Bussey
03-21-2006, 03:45 AM
Hey James,
Sounds like you had a really good time and that's awesome :D
You mentioned Ernie's Attributes class, what kind of things did you guys do?

J

sihing
03-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Hey James,
Sounds like you had a really good time and that's awesome :D
You mentioned Ernie's Attributes class, what kind of things did you guys do?

J

First we worked on a simple one stick drill, moving up and down the floor (in this case the park ground, which was cool because it was harder to maintain balance as the grass was slightly slippery and you had to deal with stepping on things not usually found on a cleaned, flat training floor). You had to maintain a proper distance when the feeder came at you. Then we trained double sticks, and then put the gloves on and worked some jab drills and such( I found this part really fun too). By the end of it all I was getting fatigued so besides working some attributes stuff (distance, timing, perception) using a WC engine of course, you get a good workout also.

James

TomasWTUK
03-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Sihing,

There are not many people who would have the sack to put themselves in unfamilar territory as you have done and then come on the Board and write so positively about the experience.

Maybe there is hope for the "family WC" (WT/VT/WC) after all.

Credit to you for going and to Ernie et al for making the experience a good one.

Best wishes.

Tom

sihing
03-21-2006, 06:34 PM
James,

learning about what you were doing was unexpected news. When I first heard it, I went from being surprised, then to excited (for you to have the opportunity and to be making the most of it), and finally to feeling inspired by what you were taking on. -I mean, I know it wasn't easy to fly hundreds of miles from home, by yourself, and visiting the home turf of some rivals you've spent the past couple of years debating against (and sometimes arguing with). It took some real guts and ba11s to accept an invitation like that (which most people probably lack the courage for.)

A lot of martial artists talk about being open minded, testing themselves & their ideas, and putting themselves on the line, but it's very cool when someone actually steps up and does it. -I admire your integrity........

I sent that e-mail to you via Ernie because I just wanted you to know that I thought what you were doing was great and that it was uplifting for a change to see someone putting their money where their mouth is and doing something real.

Even though we haven't met face-to-face, it really helped to make my week just knowing that you were down there taking a chance like that to learn first-hand what others are doing in order to help make yourself a better and more informed martial artist & teacher.

I think that what you did sets a great example and is worthy of respect.

-Lawrence

Well I think allot of good things are coming out of this experience, not just for me but others as well. Friendships are being formed instead of enemies, and juices are starting to flow that started to go stale. Open mindedness is key, and the ability to just experience something without all the ego or judgement that can be attached to it is paramount, plus life is just funner when we sort of look at things like a kid again, everything is new and exciting....

James

lawrenceofidaho
03-21-2006, 07:05 PM
the ability to just experience something without all the ego or judgement that can be attached to it is paramount
Well said....... :)

Ernie
03-22-2006, 09:30 AM
Some Pics
more to come

Ernie
03-22-2006, 09:48 AM
here is another one :D

more later

Kevin Bell
03-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Some Pics
more to come

Hey bro

You wearing fake tan?

stricker
03-22-2006, 12:08 PM
it is L.A. :D

Ernie
03-22-2006, 12:16 PM
dude that's me pale ;)
remember I'm an islander

you should see me in the summer at night I'm invisible

stricker
03-22-2006, 12:17 PM
You know Ernie and Emil are hip hop superstars with the fly adidas styles :cool:

Ernie
03-22-2006, 12:23 PM
You know Ernie and Emil are hip hop superstars with the fly adidas styles :cool:
hey I'm the OG B-boy
Emil is a product of german engineering

PaulH
03-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Howdy, guys! You boys sure have too much fun here. Good to see you guys kicking in LA , Jon & James. I hope you guys know by now that buddha fist is truly all compassionate and merciful!Ha! Ha! Next time you see Buddha on the road, kill him! :D

Kevin Bell
03-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Where's Emil's cap?

Ernie
03-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Where's Emil's cap?
he wanted to rock his charlie brown hair cut ;)

Buddha_Fist
03-22-2006, 01:08 PM
he wanted to rock his charlie brown hair cut ;)

Don't be hatin' the Charlie Brown hair cut - It's extreeeeeeeeemely succesful with the ladies! :D

Buddha_Fist
03-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Howdy, guys! You boys sure have too much fun here. Good to see you guys kicking in LA , Jon & James. I hope you guys know by now that buddha fist is truly all compassionate and merciful!Ha! Ha! Next time you see Buddha on the road, kill him! :D

Dude, don't be spreading hate. Don't you see that my life-long mission of spreading peace & harmony is starting to be succesful? ;)

PaulH
03-22-2006, 01:36 PM
I'm speechless by your fisted eloquence! In one sweeping line You have busted my self-delusion! I abhor my ignorance and return back now to the light of your fisted love and harmony! :D

Ernie
03-22-2006, 02:07 PM
paul---return back now to the light of your fisted love and harmony!

dude this is about the most [brokebackbuttcrack creekmounthim] i have ever heard .......freaks:eek:

PaulH
03-22-2006, 02:11 PM
You have stumbled on the secret of how to win an Oscar for your movie! :D

Kevin Bell
03-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Don't be hatin' the Charlie Brown hair cut - It's extreeeeeeeeemely succesful with the ladies! :D

and the men as well i hear

Buddha_Fist
03-22-2006, 07:16 PM
F@$%er! :D

stricker
03-23-2006, 12:47 PM
hey paul, be careful saying stuff like "fisted love" :eek: someone might take it the wrong way. cant....stop....... double meanings.........:p

Kevin Bell
03-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Stricker good to see you got the same good warped sense of humour as me ;)

PaulH
03-23-2006, 01:40 PM
We all have to examine all the odd facts and the context surrounding them before we can construct a meaningful and appropriate interpretation of this, Jon! :D

Ernie
03-23-2006, 02:19 PM
or you could just leave yourself wide open for a kick in the balls ;)

PaulH
03-23-2006, 02:37 PM
All the more reason why it is vital that all WCners should have an iron crotch skill as an added measure of safety...:D