PDA

View Full Version : The 3 best styles

EarthDragon
03-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Having this discussion with some friends. In your opionin, what are the 3 most effective and best styles in martial arts and why? This is just a style question experience, practioner, etc etc. is irrelevant.

David Jamieson
03-19-2006, 09:47 AM
1.my style
2.the style that beats it
3.the style that bests them both

But in all seriousness, you're having a styles discussion on what's better? lol

really?

GreenCloudCLF
03-19-2006, 12:22 PM
1. the art of fighting without fighting
2. the art of fighting when the other guy isn't looking
3.the art of fighting with a big f'in gun

SevenStar
03-19-2006, 12:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that a serious discussion about that won't lead anywhere productive...

mantis108
03-19-2006, 12:45 PM
1) Olympic sport base

Boxing, Wrestling, Judo

2) Mixed Martial Arts

Muay Thai, BJJ, Kali/Silat

3) Kung Fu

Praying Mantis (Northern), Dragon Style (Southern) or Fanziquan, Xingyi (internal) or Taiji. [this category is way too hard to pick...]

So the 3 best styles would be 1, 2 and 3. ;) :D [I know I cheated but ...]

Mantis108

EarthDragon
03-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Thanks mantis108,

To all....... yes I am looking for serious replies. I really want know why people think what styles are the best.

I spoke with a guy who spent 18 years in shotokahn and he told me his style which we all know is not very high level and way too linear. so after him telling me this he said what styles he thought were better. This lead to a great and interesting discussion between 5 very different matrial artists. So I thought it would be a good topic to pick each others brains

metsubushi
03-19-2006, 01:58 PM
I like that style that strikes, that other one that grapples, and that uber one that conditions.

Hephaestus
03-19-2006, 04:24 PM
For the most part, I agree with Mantis108. However, my picks under the heading of "Kung Fu" would be:
1) Northern Style
2) Southern Style
3) Internal Style

Kung fu is the answer to all of your problems.

:D

fiercest tiger
03-19-2006, 04:36 PM
Yau kung Mun
Wun Yuen
MMA

SevenStar
03-20-2006, 01:00 PM
I spoke with a guy who spent 18 years in shotokahn and he told me his style which we all know is not very high level and way too linear.

and this is the problem with discussions like these. generalizations get brought up and debating starts. for example:

whether or not a style is "high level" is irrelevant. muay thai would be considered low level, as would tiger. and we all know that both of these styles can really eff you up.

"way too linear" isn't necessarily a bad thing. they still do offline stepping - like a thai boxer would - but attack in straight lines. this can be very effective.

Mr Punch
03-20-2006, 06:13 PM
2) Mixed Martial Arts

... Kali/SilatInteresting. Absolutely not trolling but does anyone know of any MMAers in UFC, Pride etc who do/have done kali/silat?

"way too linear" isn't necessarily a bad thing. they still do offline stepping - like a thai boxer would - but attack in straight lines. this can be very effective.Precisely.

Gotta laugh at the generalization of karate... if someone was generalizing fu in the same broad strokes you'd be spitting mad. I know some very fluid karateka who would take apart your average formster fu-ster, and I'm not just talking about kyokushin.

As for the best three arts: mine of course!

1) wing chun
2) shooto (bit of a cheat but hey!)
3) aikido/jutsu.

mantis108
03-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Hi Matt,

Interesting. Absolutely not trolling but does anyone know of any MMAers in UFC, Pride etc who do/have done kali/silat?

I think off hand it would be the Dog Brother's "gathering of the pack" event. Now of course this is not exactly UFC, Pride events because it's not ligit - yet. BUT if we look ahead say in the next 10 - 15 years, we might just have this "next" wave of martial sports event combining weaponry (stick fighting) with hand-2-hand combat. So we might have already been staring at the future paradigm of sport entertainment in the making, which could just be following the foot step of BJJ in reinventing the term NHB. ;) Then we shall be approaching as close to the real gladiator threshold as possible with maxium safety provided for the contestant.

BTW Shooto is definitely a good call. I think there is a Japanese JKDer (Dan Inosanto's student?) who's also a very impressive Shooto figther/trainer.

Warm regards

Mantis108

fiercest tiger
03-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Mantis 108

Do you mena Erik Paulson the shooto guy, if so he is awesome i seen some of his instructionals and he is an amzing m/artist.

regards
Garry

MightyB
03-23-2006, 01:12 PM
1) Judo- Great base for all grappling arts.

2) Tai Chi- real tai chi is sweet.

3) Anything you enjoy and will practice-- hopefully one that stresses a full range of vigorous movement.

Crushing Fist
03-23-2006, 02:11 PM
1. Tai Chi - yield and redirect

2. Pa Kua - evade and control

3. Hsing I - CRUSH

SimonM
03-23-2006, 04:38 PM
1: Hei Long Gong Fu
2: Hung Gar
3: tie between Boxing and Folk Wrestling

Yum Cha
03-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Boxing - for its ring craft, training for punishment and engagement psychology.

Grappling - for its physicality, mechanics and endurance.

Kung-fu - to take those foundation skills to a higher level.

Bucko
02-11-2007, 09:52 AM
All arts are good and it depends on how you are built and what is your demeaner is. If you are built like a Sumo Capererio (SPELLING) might not be for you and if you are 5'2 110 lbs Sumo is really not your thing.
1. Kyokushin Karate
2. AikiJujitsu.
3.Hung Gar/Chi-Gong
these are the arts that I think work best for me. I have studied others but these 3 make me feel like a more complete Martial artist after 39 years of training.

Fu-Pow
02-11-2007, 11:23 AM
1. Chen Taiji
2. Ba Ji
3. Tai Tzu Chang Chuan

David Jamieson
02-11-2007, 11:45 AM
ok, in all seriousness? you are only going to get either biased answers based upon what people already know and have invested time into studying and learning. But then, they don't know much else other than that and that's cool.

so, the only real response is the one I gave earlier. oter wise it's just a "my dad can beat your dad" argument, or a challenge match.

truthfully, my style is a mixup of the cumulative information i've gathered , practiced and trained for my whole life. which would make my style:

ishtaeboxfenckicjukarakunhakharkbakfukueyansilchua lum.

no can defend! :D

SPJ
02-11-2007, 11:56 AM
agreed that people will pick what they know best or practice more.

the best styles for me may not be for you.

ultimately whatever we do is our "styles".

when I was very young, I would pick Luo Han hand menthods and Tan Tui leg methods.

when I was a young boy, I would pick Ba Ji.

when I turned 30, I would pick Tai chi and Ba gua.

when I turned 40, I would pick Ba Gua.

when I turn 50 or oh well not quite there yet.

yutyeesam
02-11-2007, 12:30 PM
More would be revealed if you turned the question into:
List the 3 WORST styles.

LOL

lkfmdc
02-11-2007, 12:41 PM
1. striking
2. clinching
3. ground fighting

all you ever need.....

David Jamieson
02-11-2007, 04:27 PM
those aren't styles, those are ranges. :p

lkfmdc
02-11-2007, 04:51 PM
those aren't styles, those are ranges. :p

nah, you think? so which are the most deadly dim mak styles? Ninja Pai? Wan Long Dong? 18 Lo Fan?

Shaolinlueb
02-11-2007, 05:05 PM
omfg

1. captain pickaxe fist
2. knifefighter fist
3. lungushan fist

all other styles are crap compared to these!!

The Xia
02-11-2007, 05:06 PM
We all know teh deadliest combination of styles is General Tso's Chicken Claw, Dim Sum Chi Point Striking, and Siu Lum Five Spice Kung Fu!

RedLine
02-11-2007, 05:10 PM
LOL! Good work people, you got me confused... :D
1. captain pickaxe fist
2. knifefighter fist
3. lungushan fist
General Tso's Chicken Claw, Dim Sum Chi Point Striking, and Siu Lum Five Spice Kung Fu!
Are all these real styles? And yes i'm a troll that is why i ask...and don't laught at me....a lot.

The Xia
02-11-2007, 05:13 PM
LOL! Good work people, you got me confused... :D
1. captain pickaxe fist
2. knifefighter fist
3. lungushan fist
General Tso's Chicken Claw, Dim Sum Chi Point Striking, and Siu Lum Five Spice Kung Fu!
Are all these real styles? And yes i'm a troll that is why i ask...and don't laught at me....a lot.
Yes, you want lessons?

Shaolinlueb
02-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Yes, you want lessons?

i think he does. they are real cheap and you learn A LOT about "real fighting"!

RedLine
02-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Ok, thank you for not destroying my dreams (even further). To be honest i just returned from my night walk...and while walking i bursed in laughter... :D And the interesting part was that i laughet on myself. :D And guess why.... :p

Yum Cha
02-11-2007, 05:53 PM
We all know teh deadliest combination of styles is General Tso's Chicken Claw, Dim Sum Chi Point Striking, and Siu Lum Five Spice Kung Fu!

Thank you Xia,
Now the world will perhaps appreciate the deadly skills of Yum Cha!

lkfmdc
02-11-2007, 06:23 PM
oh come one! the three deadly skills of Yum Cha are well known

1: Po Pei Cha
2: Gai Siu Mai
3: Yut Jup Go

don't even try and argue those!!!!!!

Yum Cha
02-11-2007, 06:33 PM
I can see you have studied Fung Jau Pie....brother.

lkfmdc
02-11-2007, 06:35 PM
I am known more for my Paai Guot Faat!

Lama Pai Sifu
02-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Don't forget the deadly and ever popular styles of;

1. Moo-Fee Ga

2. Chan Nu-Fie Pai

Royal Dragon
02-11-2007, 07:16 PM
1. Southern Mantis

2. Northern Tai Tzu

3. Li Hu Ba fa

Shaolinlueb
02-11-2007, 09:22 PM
i prefer the... ta tse bau techniques myself of the dim sum style. as the deadliest!

Meat Shake
02-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Having this discussion with some friends. In your opionin, what are the 3 most effective and best styles in martial arts and why? This is just a style question experience, practioner, etc etc. is irrelevant.

The best styles in martial arts are the ones that fit the person using them.
Elton John wouldnt rock liberty spikes and... Wow. Bad example. I cant really think of anything that man wouldnt wear.

This debate is silly like a small man in a large curly hat with bells. And green wooden clogs.
Good day.

Fu-Pow
02-12-2007, 01:00 AM
1. Gu Dim Sum
2. Won Hong Lo
3. Mei La Yu Long Tai Me

blackmantis
02-12-2007, 05:25 AM
1. Traditional Shaolin

2. Xingyiquan

3. Baguazhang

(4. Taiijiquan)

qiphlow
02-12-2007, 10:19 AM
taiji
taiji
and
taiji

SPJ
02-12-2007, 11:54 AM
reading some of the names of items in a dim sum restaurant

makes one hungry --

PangQuan
02-12-2007, 12:22 PM
1. any serious style that promotes solid striking

2. any serious style that promotes solid grappling

3. any serious style that promotes solid conditioning.

the prerequisite being what fits your body type the best.

so in essence....any one style can fit this...thus all styles that meet these standards are sufficient....:o

Lama Pai Sifu
02-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Don't forget the deadly and ever popular styles of;

1. Moo-Fee Ga

2. Chan Nu-Fie Pai

I guess no one got the joke.. :(

Shaolinlueb
02-12-2007, 05:08 PM
I guess no one got the joke.. :(

im guessing only a certain number of people understand cantonese ;)

lkfmdc
02-12-2007, 05:15 PM
only the really old remember kung fu movies on Channel Five :eek:

yenhoi
02-12-2007, 05:31 PM
styles do not exist, how can they be better then each other?

Dog Brothers are training a group of dudes for MMA under a new system called "Kali Tudo." You can see a video of their stuff on their main page I think. As far as I know none have competed at high level events, yet.

Also, Erik Paulson was a MMA fighter for sometime and he has Kali/Silat expierence. There are a couple other Inosanto blend dudes who made it up the ladder, none recently I dont think.

:eek:

Lama Pai Sifu
02-12-2007, 06:31 PM
im guessing only a certain number of people understand cantonese ;)

No Cantonese Necessary...

1. Moo-Fee Ga == MOVIE Family Style (Ga=Family) :)

A style learned from watching Movies of Kung-Fu!

2. Chan Niu Fie Pai == Channel 5 Style

A style learned from watching Kung-Fu movies on Channel 5 in the 80's!

NOW DOES EVERYONE GET IT????

Mas Judt
02-12-2007, 06:38 PM
1.) Sinanju (Sun source of all martial arts)
2.) Greenoch (Ancient Icelandic Art)
3.) Pang gu Do (rare Korean Art)

This is a pretty stupid thread....

Black Jack II
02-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Sinanju

Remo Williams could choke Royce out with two fingers.

Shaolinlueb
02-12-2007, 06:45 PM

lol hahahahahahahahahaha oh man. now i get it.

nice man.

Yum Cha
02-12-2007, 06:51 PM
No wonder they looked at me funny at lunch....

Dim Wit Mak
02-12-2007, 08:22 PM
1) Shaolin-Do
2) Celestial-Do
3) Komodo-Do

David Jamieson
02-12-2007, 08:32 PM
what about googlykai? or yippeeyaiay?

don't forget the classics.

Adventure427
02-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Jeet Kune Do- Fast, effective, economical, all around awesome. Plus its not a style, hehe.

Aikido- What if someone is drunk and upset who's a friend to you though, and you need to control the situation, what are you gonna do? punch a whole through him? BLEND...and control the situation...and look oh so smooth with it =)

Hung Gar- For it's strong stances/conditioning and powerful stirkes...Sorry sifu, haven't been doing the mantis long enough to say it, but my thoughts are leaning towards it. =)

The Xia
02-15-2007, 11:30 PM
There are no three best styles. The question should be, "What style or styles suit you best?" Now that's a real topic, not this.

Steronius
02-16-2007, 08:09 AM
I dont "KNOW" but i have the idea that HapKido, BaGua, and Russian Systema would be an ultimate mix.

Dim Wit Mak
02-16-2007, 08:21 AM
We musn't forget the ancient martial art of Lok'nel that Teal'c practices.

Shaolinlueb
02-16-2007, 08:33 AM
i kinda feel bad for people using this thread seriously. we should all know its not the style. its the practioner.

PangQuan
02-16-2007, 10:18 AM
my style is the best.

thats why i get all the ladies.

its all about how your present yourself, clothes, hair, complexion....

you gotta have the right style to be a pimp like me.

bodhitree
02-16-2007, 10:32 AM
art deco, gothic, and po mo (post modern)

xcakid
02-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Only one style prevails against all martial arts. It can only be learned at one place. Its not in China, Japan or some other far eastern country. It is learned in the US.

Marine Sniper School. Try blocking .308 or a .50cal. Well maybe Remo Williams can. :D

PangQuan
02-16-2007, 11:49 AM
nuke fu will pwn your style

xcakid
02-16-2007, 11:57 AM
nuke fu will pwn your style

OK ya got me. But not many masters teaching that these days. Oh sure you have some off shoot styles like the Al queda dirty bomb fu, but not as good. :p

PangQuan
02-16-2007, 12:10 PM
OK ya got me. But not many masters teaching that these days. Oh sure you have some off shoot styles like the Al queda dirty bomb fu, but not as good. :p

lol
al queda dirty bomb fu....rofl

SPJ
02-17-2007, 08:02 AM
5 elements theory.

there is the relation of giving rise to/birth, helping and antagonism etc.

one thing is better or defeats another. however, it is also defeated by yet another.

it is all relative.

--

shaolin_allan
02-28-2007, 04:09 PM
No style is the best, only the best for specific person or situation. It is always good to train well rounded which is why in many cases all three baguazhang,taijiquan,and xingyiquan are taught at the same time to students.
From what I have seen the best styles for combat only in my personal view are these and not in any certain order:

1. cailifo(choy li fut)
2. 7 star praying mantis
3.baijiquan
4.5 elements theory(three internal arts together)
5.muay thai
6.jeet kun do