PDA

View Full Version : What line is this?

Mr Punch
03-21-2006, 11:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64LTk7r83Uw&search=wing%20chun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64LTk7r83Uw&search=wing%20chun)

Sekabin
03-21-2006, 11:51 PM
James Brown?

Mr Punch
03-22-2006, 12:05 AM
LOL, I'll deal with you later!

I was thinking more Groucho Marx or John Cleese myself... but it IS a serious question!

Sekabin
03-22-2006, 01:02 AM
Hehe, sorry. (Hey have you noticed I can now type for short periods of time... woohoo, I'll get you back for that finger twist)...

By the amount of stepping and arm positioning, I'd say it's either related to TWC or HFY, but someone from those lines probably can say better than me.

Mr Punch
03-22-2006, 03:44 AM
What finger twist? I don't twist fingers, I punch people!

Phil Redmond
03-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Hehe, sorry. (Hey have you noticed I can now type for short periods of time... woohoo, I'll get you back for that finger twist)...

By the amount of stepping and arm positioning, I'd say it's either related to TWC or HFY, but someone from those lines probably can say better than me.
It's definately not TWC.
PR

Ultimatewingchun
03-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Ed Norton?

Ralph Cramden?

Dai_Daddy
03-31-2006, 05:46 PM
A line that you made up. You look like a dancer.

Mr Punch
04-02-2006, 08:11 PM
A line that you made up. You look like a dancer.Oh great. A troll. How original.

Train
04-03-2006, 12:06 AM

Are you kidding me? Do you know who's that guy that's in the background? That is Sifu Cris Chan and that is his school. He's one of Yip Man's original students. I'm suprised no one recognised him or his school.

If you got some bad to say about his WC pls feel free to drop by his school in San Francisco. Especially if you are a Ken Chung student. :D

Peace!

Chango
04-03-2006, 01:26 AM
First I will have to say that this is not from the Hung Fa Yi lineages.

Second I will say that I don't have an opinion on this video. I'm not sure of the intent or focus of the person demonstrating. I would be guessing if I assumed. I feel strongly that everyone that is training WC has a passionate stand on how they train. So to assume at this point would seem irresponsible. However I could be wrong.

Mr Punch
04-03-2006, 07:27 AM
Are you kidding me? Do you know who's that guy that's in the background? That is Sifu Cris Chan and that is his school. He's one of Yip Man's original students. I'm suprised no one recognised him or his school.Had absolutely no idea. Thanks for telling me.

If you got some bad to say about his WC pls feel free to drop by his school in San Francisco.

Peace!Nothing bad to say at all: would love to drop by anybody's school anywhere to exchange hands but I live in Tokyo!

So, since you know this school, could you tell us

is that his standard biu jee or something else?
if that was the way he learnt from Yip or if he has altered it?

I'm absolutely not trolling, just wondering. Interesting to see something chunny but completely new to me.

Firehawk4
04-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Sifu Chris Chan Links
http://www.uswingchun.com/july21pages.html
http://www.wingchundynamics.com/

k gledhill
04-04-2006, 10:31 AM
I did a seminar there years ago at the school and 'touched hands' with several students...chris chan sifu seems to be a nice guy ,a real showman ,,, walking up to people at a seminar dinner afterwards and doing double palms [one ontop of the other] pushes while stating 'look at my power!" LOL as they flew away.....I have pictures from the seminar..
I cant explain whats going on in the video.....looks like a bilgee contrived exercise of their own
the lineage is straight forward yip man vt with , chris chans thinking ....
they do isotonics in the 1st section of slt as I used to do, arm conditioning / gaat sau....
usual stuff .
kg

Firehawk4
04-04-2006, 12:29 PM
I wonder where Sifu Chris Chan got this form on one of the websites i listed it also says that he has a moving type of Sui Lien Tao form and Chum Kui form too along with the regular Wing Chun forms . There is in the book Secret Techniques of Wing Chun book by K.T. Chao in the Chum Kiu book there is triangle footwork and it looks like it shows some kind of little form could it be that Chris Chan developed this footwork into a form or forms that Bill Jee form looks like triangle footwork hitting in four directions type of forms or opening and closeing the door type of forms . The other thing is maybe this footwork in these forms is that form or footwork that Yip Man taught his students in mainland China Foshan the Baugua form or footwork that lets you circle around your opponets that Yip Man also knew but did not teach his Hong Kong students but maybe Yip Man did teach Chris Chan this Baugua form . Perhaps there are more forms to Yip Mans Wing Chun than we know of , mainly these three other forms the strange moveing four corners Bill Jee form a four corners Sui Lien Tao form and a four corners Chum Kiu form .

tbone7812
05-04-2006, 10:29 AM
not a bad video but i have one question. Why is his rear hand so close to his body. It could be easly trapped against the body.

Liddel
05-04-2006, 04:37 PM
I do things resembling this all the time. Stepping / shifting around giving actions to a imaginary opponent picturing actions comming to me and reacting acordingly.

It s my VT version of 'Shadow Boxing' .... i would have thought many people do this type of thing :rolleyes:

From just watching the vid - thats my impression of what it is, though the thought that its another version of a moving VT FORM is an interesting concept......

Mr Punch
05-06-2006, 10:41 PM
I do things resembling this all the time. Stepping / shifting around giving actions to a imaginary opponent picturing actions comming to me and reacting acordingly.

It s my VT version of 'Shadow Boxing' .... i would have thought many people do this type of thing Sure, I do, but shadow boxing is fluid, and this is a form, which is why I was wanting some more input from Train or anyone else who studied with this sifu.

Liddel
05-08-2006, 04:23 PM
You Raise good points Mat - i now have the same questions, they have some good explanations on thier web site provided earlier.

Good to see free thinking VT fighters making Ving Tsun kung Fu thier own personal Style.

aaronh_sf
06-03-2008, 05:03 PM
This is a moving form. The form is done in a freestyle, 'shadowboxing' method with free footwork. This is a more traditional exercise from the Yip Man lineage. I've only heard of a handful of schools that continue to drill this way.

KPM
06-03-2008, 05:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64LTk7r83Uw&search=wing%20chun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64LTk7r83Uw&search=wing%20chun)

Its gone now!