PDA

View Full Version : Staying Healthy

Student
04-24-2001, 03:56 AM
Hello:
I find that in the winter time, i really don't want to train much. All I want to do is bundle up and stay warm and be a couch vegetable. I live in Tennessee so our winters really aren't all that bad, but I really hate the cold. I usually get sick 2 or 3 times in the winter. I was wondering what most of you do to increase your energy in the winter and to stay feeling pretty good.

8 Sweaty Palms
04-24-2001, 04:38 AM
I usually throw on a pair of shorts and go running so I can work on my tan. Then maybe practice a few sets. Grill some burgers. A cold bottle of wheat beer. Iced down watermelon for desert. A short nap in the hammock...

Of course, I live in Houston ;)

RAF
04-24-2001, 04:51 AM
http://www.drweil.com/archiveqa/0,2283,1206,00.html

Check out the above website by Dr. Weil.

If you get a chance, go to a Border's bookstore. There is Chinese herbal medicine Cookbook written in both English and Chinese. You can get most of the ingredients at your local Chinese grocery store. Astragalus is used a lot.

There are a number of good receipes for zhou (soupy rice porridge in which you can add a number of very simple, food-like herb and berry combinations). You also can make a great chicken soup with black mushrooms (****ake) and astragalus.

Fortunately, I have someone who reads, writes, and speaks Chinese. She is familiar with a lot of the food remedies. If you can, get a Chinese friend to help. I find the zhou and soup to be very helpful in working with colds, bronchitis, and mild asthma

TheBigToad
04-24-2001, 06:34 PM
I'm not sure how long you have been in Hsing I, but practicing the Fire(Pounding Fist) and the Dragon or Tiger animal forms very, very slowly for an hour or so will greatly inrease your bodies internal heat and keep you healthy.
If you havn't got that far, just doing Metal(Splitting Fist) the same way will have many of the same benefits.

Repulsive Monkey
04-25-2001, 11:02 AM
White Crane spreads wings and Single Whip standing postures are good co's they will help prevent Cold from invading the Lungs. They will expell and warm the lungs and heart.

Repulsive Monkey
04-25-2001, 11:02 AM
White Crane spreads wings and Single Whip standing postures are good co's they will help prevent Cold from invading the Lungs. They will expell and warm the lungs and heart.

Kevin Wallbridge
04-26-2001, 02:07 AM
If you want to really use Chinese medicine for building up your health (your constitution does sound a bit weak for a martial artist), then go to a Doctor and get a thorough diagnosis. Try to find a Doctor who is willing to talk to you about your condition, as not all are prepared to do so. Then you'll have a good context for the herbs or diet changes.

"The heart of the study of boxing is to have natural instinct resemble the dragon" Wang Xiangzai