PDA

View Full Version : Need advice as to which style would be best for me...

Nataku
03-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Hey,

I am looking to study Kung Fu but need some help in finding a style that will suit me.

My background thus far is in Shotokan Karate and Escrima, and whilst they are without doubt effective martial arts, I have become interested in the more 'acrobatic' end of the spectrum.

I understand that there are styles of Kung Fu which combine effective martial art systems with such arcobatic moves, but I am unsure as to which style to approach.

Could anyone give me any advice as to which route to take? I am living in Brighton, UK, and so would obviously like to train locally.

Many thanks,

Tim

TenTigers
03-23-2006, 08:07 AM
probably capoeira.

Ray Pina
03-23-2006, 08:30 AM
I was thinking of some Northern Styles that favor kicking, but I have to agree, it sounds like you'll apreciate capoeira.

I wouldn't go there for practical fighting purposes, but unless you're hell bent on figthing who needs it? You'll get strong, coordinated and probably meet a ton of healthy chicks.

Ray Pina
03-23-2006, 08:31 AM
Makes me think what the hell am I doing?

GreenCloudCLF
03-23-2006, 08:40 AM
Dammn.... I was gonna say Capoiera...so instead I'll say Wushu...

SimonM
03-23-2006, 04:41 PM
The more acrobatic stuff is usually part of contemporary Wushu. The effective fighting is generally not.

Nataku
03-25-2006, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the replies,

I've dipped into my local capoiera class before, and found it to populated with b-boys who's only concern was showing off. I'm drawn to Kung Fu because it has a sound philosophical backbone to it. That said, I'll bare capoiera in mind.

http://www.wuxingwushu.org/

This appears to be the only 'Wushu' group nearby, although I am unclear as to if it would be suitable to me, as they seem to incorperate several styles under the name. Could somebody maybe have a look and see if it's what I'm after?

http://www.wutanbrighton.co.uk/

Also nearby, I have a Wutan club who teach Choy Li Fut as part of their syllabus. I may be wrong, but my research leads me to believe that this style incorperates some of the more flashy moves I'm after. Again, if someone could have a look and let me know their professional opinion, i'd be grateful.

Thanks again,

Tim

P.S. I want to learn butterfly kicks, flips, that kind of thing

GreenCloudCLF
03-25-2006, 07:33 AM
The more acrobatic stuff is usually part of contemporary Wushu. The effective fighting is generally not.

Can't have your cake and eat it too...but then what the hell is the point of having the cake if you can't eat it...and if can eat it but don't have it...oh whatever...

Jun Fan
03-27-2006, 07:44 AM
I think Wushu is definitly what you're looking for. My school has a Wushu class on Saturdays after my class and those kids fly around the room. It's all about flash! Very cool to watch.

Nataku
04-11-2006, 02:08 AM
Thanks for all your replies.

In response to Jun Fan's comment, this is the only Wushu club in my area:

http://www.wuxingwushu.org/index.htm

However, the information on the site is not very clear as to what exactly they teach - it mentions Tai Chi & Shaolin but nothing which sounds like what I'm looking for.

I'd be grateful if someone could check it out for me and translate it into noob for me - i.e. do they teach Wushu as it's been recommended here, or are they using the word as an umbrella for different styles?

Thanks again,

Tim

Shaolindynasty
04-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Choy Li Fut as part of their syllabus. I may be wrong, but my research leads me to believe that this style incorperates some of the more flashy moves I'm after.

Traditional Choy Lay Fut features no "acrobatic" movements:mad:

Also, beware a school that teaches so many unrelated styles

MasterKiller
04-11-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all your replies.

In response to Jun Fan's comment, this is the only Wushu club in my area:

http://www.wuxingwushu.org/index.htm

However, the information on the site is not very clear as to what exactly they teach - it mentions Tai Chi & Shaolin but nothing which sounds like what I'm looking for.

I'd be grateful if someone could check it out for me and translate it into noob for me - i.e. do they teach Wushu as it's been recommended here, or are they using the word as an umbrella for different styles?

Thanks again,

Tim

No, that looks like a traditional program. You need to look for "Modern Wushu." A lot of places still use "wushu" to describe traditional kung fu, even though nowadays "wushu" and "modern wushu" are used interchangeably.

Traditional Northern kung fu may a couple of the jump kicks you want, but for butterflys, aeriels, etc... you need a Modern Wushu program.