PDA

View Full Version : what is best way to stop kick

orion_steel
03-24-2006, 10:05 AM
what is the best way to stop a kick you think?

do you think that you should try and block it with your hand? (i have always been told to only block kicks with your own legs)....but i think that is kind of hard and takes a lot effort....maybe too much, maybe not....

i have seen some people block with their hands/forearms...but i think that this gets old (and dangerous)....

but i have also heard others say you should get out of range (dodge, duck, dive, dip, and dodge) or crowd the kick....

what do you guys think...any helpful ideas or points?

Jun Fan
03-24-2006, 11:21 AM
What is most effective for me is a front leg thrust kick to their kicking leg. When I see somebody chamber a kick I will immediately kick their leg and push them back. I can usually beat them to the punch (er, kick) since I'm not going for power in my kick at all, just contact. Once I make contact I push forward just enough to mess up their balance. They will usually have to put their foot down and regain their balance which is a great time for a counter. If they’re coming from outside with a sliding or jumping kick I will either just move to the side and counter or try to trap their leg and go for a takedown.

Chief Fox
03-24-2006, 02:17 PM
I like to do what we call at my school a "check kick". It's a low kick that just makes contact with their kicking leg and stops them in their tracks. Alot of times if you make contact on the right part of the shin it will be very painful for your opponent.

Hendrik
03-24-2006, 07:40 PM
The best way is not to stop it.
why struggle and compete for speed and power...?

metsubushi
03-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Jeet Tek ftw

rubthebuddha
03-24-2006, 10:54 PM
depends on the kick, but i like a basic wing chun stomp or a muay thai "teep." but, i prefer to go for center mass (groin/hips) or the plant leg. you can easily harm that leg, whereas checking the kicking leg is usually just a check -- not much of an attack. as far as blocking legs with my arms, not a chance unless i absolutely have to. i don't care how conditioned your forearms are, strong forearm vs. strong shin is like daewoo vs. suburban. it's simply a more solid bone and can have far more power behind it than your forearm bones may be able to take with a straight block.

or, if you're a fast/early enough sumbiotch, a cut kick to the plant leg is all sorts of goodness.

viper
03-25-2006, 12:32 AM
There r bigillions of ways to prob block check intercept a kick my favi is to not be there like hendrik said why compete i wnt waste my time ill just move gen.

dainos
03-25-2006, 06:34 PM
to move in but im a inside fighter so it all depends on the fighter. couple of the people who have iron palm in my school prefer to evade and iron palm it or push the leg away. the iron palm is not supposed to over power it or anything. anyone here know the water slap technique?

dunk
03-31-2006, 06:33 AM
I would parry to the left or right depending on the directions/type of kick.
then strike the knee joint with a backfist.
then follow up with a palm to the kidney [depending on the direction/type of kick]
or a fist/elbow to the abdomen.

either that or use a tiger claw on the anckle joint and sweep the other leg..

Becca
03-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Never with the hand. Ever. Fore arm, both back and front, if the kick is high enough. My favorite is either X-block or sward block. If it's low, check it with a shin or counter kick. If they telegraph it, move out of the way. If they throw it out too far to actually strike you, vanquish them with flying chi balls the sit on thier still smoking carcas munching on granola.;)

Iron_Eagle_76
04-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Depends on the kick. A stop kick, such as donkey kick, or a raised knee blocking with the shin, this takes conditioning. Banging forearms and shins will help condition for blocks. Also depends on whether you are an inside or outside fighter. Inside fighters can stop kicks easier, but also have to watch kicks from the clinch, roundhouse to thigh, knees, that type thing. Outside fighters will see kicks coming more, front and side thrust kicks, roundhouse, hooks, and are more likely to throw them higher, using more forearms and traps to block. Always depends on the fighter and how good they can kick!!

Crushing Fist
04-06-2006, 03:02 PM
an old favorite for a front kick is to just drop your front elbow straight down on the top of the incoming foot as you shift your weight back.

generally IMO its always better to move into a kick cutting off the angle (to the outside if you can) while checking it with either the feet or knees.

both of these techniques I prefer to do with the back leg as it moves you into position for the counter while the opponent is still off balance.

for a foot check I'll cross-step the back leg (in front or behind) and use it to stomp down at the shin or ankle.

for a knee the back leg swings around into the side of their knee or thigh.

Both of these are done in conjunction with controlling their lead guard hand and setting up the counter-strike or (better) take-down/throw.

of course there are countless kick defenses, but thats usually my favorite set-up.

Becca
04-06-2006, 09:28 PM
an old favorite for a front kick is to just drop your front elbow straight down on the top of the incoming foot as you shift your weight back...

... Also makes them think twice before kicking you again... Man, my ankle hurts. :eek:
(bet you can guess what we did in class tonight.:D )