PDA

View Full Version : Kung-Fu/MA Flicks for Kids

yutyeesam
03-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Could you give me some suggestions for Kung-Fu/Martial Arts movies that cater to younger age groups?

Movies like The Karate Kid is good for Jr High and High School kids.

But how about movies for the younger folks in elementary school? (K-5)

I know Chuck Norris made that movie Sidekicks, but I forgot which age group that catered to.

I'm so out of the loop when it comes to Kids stuff. I know they have TV shows/cartoons that have that stuff in it, but are there movies out there?

Thanks,

PS I'm going to resist Surf Ninjas at all costs!!

Oso
03-28-2006, 10:39 AM
I've been looking for the same sort of thing.

I just picked up the DVD for the first 4 episodes of "Avatar" a Nick cartoon.

Pretty cool and I think safe for kids.

I haven't found too many titles though.

I've also been looking for books for kids as well. There are two in the "Magic Tree House" series...one on ninjas and one about saving a chinese library.

yutyeesam
03-28-2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks Oso! I will look into Avatar. There was this Hong Kong movie I saw years ago starring Yuen Biao called "Dragon From Shaolin", and it had a couple of kids in it. I don't remember much except that it was bizarre. Does anyone know if this comes in an English dub format?

GreenCloudCLF
03-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Best Kids Kung-Fu Movie Ever (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/6305236658/qid=1143570085/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6064735-8267233?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130)

And for the Disney fans (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00024I2Z4/qid=1143570135/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-6064735-8267233?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130)

SevenStar
03-28-2006, 11:24 AM
avatar is awesome. Hell, I watch it. other animated ones kids can check out are:

naruto - pretty d@mn cool anime about a kid in training to become a ninja.

xiaolin showdown - comical cartoon about a monk in training.

ninja turtles

batman

the adventures of juniper lee

dragon ball z is geared more towards older kids, but in the original dragon ball series, goku is only about 8.

This next one is no longer on, but back in the day - double dragon. Maybe you can find episodes on ebay. there was also a karate kid cartoon.

MOVIES

warriors of virtue
the three ninjas series
showdown - billy blanks is a janitor in some school and trains a bullied kid.
ninja turtles

EDIT: He beat me to warriors of virtue!

GreenCloudCLF
03-28-2006, 11:29 AM
7* - thanks for the name of the Billy Blanks movie..I could never remember. I love the scene where he has the kid cleaning urinals and the kids says "Is this like with Mr. Miyagi's Wax on, wax off." And Billy says "not the toilets need cleaning"
----
Kids Kung-Fu movie with a moral (and Christian ties) (http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&productId=11203&langId=-1&categoryId=13501&top=y)

SevenStar
03-28-2006, 11:31 AM
as for books, remember when we were kids, they had the "choose your own adventure" and "time machine" books? I have one called "sword of the samurai" - or at least had... it's prolly still in my parents attic. I had one about ninjas as well. I remember some magazine - probably black belt with a series of children's books years ago - they covered things like getting bullied in school and various other topics kids face.

GreenCloudCLF
03-28-2006, 11:32 AM
If you want books, Terrance Webster Doyle publishes a lot geared to kids. But I think he's a quack...

SevenStar
03-28-2006, 11:40 AM
there's also that instuctional book from the 80's called kung fu for young people.

http://www.karatesupply.com/160446P.htm I remember checking this out from the library when I was about 13.

yutyeesam
03-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks for all the titles/recomendations!

Anyone know anything about this movie called, "Young Dragons: The Kung-Fu Kids"
http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=55972

Or this other one called "Kung-Fu Kids"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0186280/

Are any of these any good?

SevenStar
03-28-2006, 12:22 PM
dunno either of those. I remember another 80's movie about teens who were taught kickboxing by a girl... I think they were in a kickboxing summer camp or something. I'll try to remember the name.

SevenStar
03-28-2006, 12:26 PM
It was from the 90's... kickboxing academy. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119456/

jethro
03-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Man I feel left out of the loop, what the hell is avatar?

SHOWS-the original turtles, also their movies are ok, new batman(classic animated series may be too dark)

Karate Ghostbuster-I don't know if this is this is dubbed in english, but it's pretty kiddie and your kids might recognize jackie, watchable one time through for us adults.

Previously mentioned dragon from shaolin is very lighthearted.

Shaolin kids(shaolin temple 2-I was always dissapointed with this because it is really gearede towards REALLY little kids, a couple times your kid might say owie watching this so watch it yourself first to see what you think.

A movie that deserves to be seen no one, kids or adults, is SHAOLIN CHASTITY KUNGFU, it seems geared towards kids, but it really is not, then for us it has 1 freaking good fight, it has like a 100 kids starrign in this movie but I am telling you not to let your kids see this.

Just got to work so I M sure I will think of more of these, hell some of them I could probably just send to you, I have a lot of these movies.

jethro
03-28-2006, 01:38 PM
I can't remember what its rated but there is a lot of blood and HARD hits left out of the miramax version that everyone has. Hey miramax, you almost did a good job with this dvd release.

SevenStar
03-28-2006, 01:46 PM
karate ghostbuster? you mean "spiritual kung fu"?

'avatar - the last airbender' is a cartoon about a boy who is the last of a race of elementals that hasn't been seen in over a century - airbenders. it turns out that the boy actually has power over all elements and is part of a prophecy. lots of action, plenty of MA type feel to it. very good cartoon.

SevenStar
03-28-2006, 01:48 PM
another anime - one of my personal faves - is hajime no ippo. It's about a high school kid who gets bullied, then one day is introduced to boxing. turns out he's a natural and the series chronicles the boy's rise to boxing's higher level. I like it because they talk about realistic training techniques and mention tactics used by spinks, tyson and other boxers.

jethro
03-28-2006, 01:59 PM
I looked on imdb and was surprised to see that this movie only has 2 names, well 3 including the chinese name. May not be 100% for kids, but lo wei movies just seem like they are made for people with no intelligence.

Karate ghostbuster just seems like a more appropriate kids name.

I will tivo avatar thiough.

Oso
03-28-2006, 02:45 PM
It was from the 90's... kickboxing academy. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119456/

lol

from the trailer:

"...and sometimes the only choice is to fight!"

Avatar is pretty good. I don't really care for anime but this one has me hooked.

jethro
03-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Only the strong-extremely corny but marc dacascas is really really reaaallly good

last dragon-good for all ages

rumble in the bronx- I found this really funny when I was like 10 or 11
american ninja 5- I made it through like 15 minutes of this and tried to rewatch it once and made another 10 minutes, but qhat I saw was definitely for kids, just be careful your kid doesn't only watch these stupid ass movies.

my father is a hero-bad jet li movie with good iron monkey action and fine to watch for 12 and ups.

young master- go ahead and let your kid watch this, seriously, do it, you may have to be like at least 11 or 12, but this is a movie for any age and is easily one of the best slap stick comedies ever right there with dumb and dumber and oh yeah whang in-sik and yuen bioa can fight too.

the executioner

riki-oh

hell'z windstaff

Just a joke though I did love those 3 as a kid, seriously though, don't let your kids watch them.:p

Jimbo
03-29-2006, 11:30 PM
There was a series of Taiwan-made movies in the mid-'80s called "The Kung Fu Kids "(Hao Xiao ze). Unfortunately i don't know where to find them. I saw the first 2 installments in Taiwan when I was living there, mainly because a friend of mine, another guy from the U.S., had a small part in part 1, getting his butt kicked by the kids in a karate dojo. I think the Americans copied these movies with the "3 Ninjas" movies.
Jim