PDA

View Full Version : European/American Shaolin temple?

yat_chum
03-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Hi guys, I've been wondering what would "Kung Fu" look like if it had developed in another part of the world for example if the Shaolin temple had been in Europe or America? What effects would differences in climate, culture, science, technology and flora and fauna have? Anyone got any ideas. Jo

CrossRanger
04-13-2006, 11:32 AM
You propose an interesting question, yat_chum...one that I have also tried to wrap my mind around as well. I have always been a fan of the Medieval period, especially that of Europe. The concept of castles, knights and valor have always fascinated me.

Given the state of civilization in America during the development of the Shaolin Temple in China (527 AD according to The Art of Shaolin Kung Fu, Wong Kiew Kit), such an institution being form in the midst of hunter gatherers is not likely. This, of course, assumes that the hypothetical transplanted Temple would be about the same age as the original.

So, that leaves Europe, whose society was well developed at the time and already supported a large governmental structure, having been under Roman rule for centuries. In order to maintain the same mystique, the European Temple would need to be located in a remote environment and would likely have the same necessity for outside goods that the Shaolin Temple did. I can envision students hauling grain in place of rice as their tithe for training. The physical exertions of temple life would be no less demanding than their Asian counterparts: the technology of the time would require a large labor force to maintain and provide for the temple.

Of particular interest during this period was the declaration of Emperor Constantine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_I_(emperor))circa 380 AD which ushered in Christianity as the religion of the empire. This, I believe, would likely prove the greatest point of contrast with the Shaolin Temple.

How would a European society integrate New Testament theology with martial training? There are examples of “warrior monk” classes found six centuries later: namely the Knights Templar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_Templar_%28military_order%29). Here, we see highly trained military units functioning under the banner of Christendom. But, I do not believe this example of military structure captures the spirit of personal and philosophical development seen in the Shaolin Temple.

So, I envision a quiet monastery of Christian Monks seeking to fulfill two charges given by scripture:

The first would extol the monk to physical conditioning and fitness. In 1 Cor. 6:19-20, the famous adage is found: “Your body is the temple”. (no pun intended here:) )

The second is found in Luke 22:36 – “and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” Here, the disciples are commissioned to spread the Gospel outside of Israel and are encouraged to arm themselves. Other scripture would strongly support the notion of such arms being used only in defense (a whole other topic, as the only example in the New Testament of this is Peter who is scolded for his attempts to martially defend Christ before his capture.)

The art itself would be greatly different: likely having been more centered around weapon sets than open-hand. I could not see my lowly monks wearing armor as the Knights Templar did…such an array requires much lower caste support and would be cost prohibitive.
So, there you have it. Mythical Friar Bernard, product of the Europe Temple/Monastery, humbly walking the land with sword on belt, defending the weak and teaching of his faith.

Mantis Fist
04-14-2006, 01:15 AM
That is intresting, you would probally have different animal styles for a start, couldn`t imagine it. What if it was in england:

Fox style
Badger
Crow