PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu effective?

daproducor
03-28-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm 18 years old and was interested in learning kung fu, I had an interest in the mantis style. Anyways, I was just wondering if kung fu could really be applied to real life street fights? Do the techniques you learn really help you when the time comes? If so, how long would you say you have to be in Kung Fu before you learn how to defend yourself?

My friend was in karate his whole life and lost 5 teeth and got put in a hospital because the guy just tackled him and went for his face.

Just wondering if Kung Fu is really effective in real life situations and if i should invest my time in it.

Thanks, Nathan

SifuAbel
03-29-2006, 12:57 AM
walls spinning........can't breath................a light............. I see a light...............

Oh god the agony........................make it stop.............make it stop.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! make it stop.

blacking.............................out.......... ...................

can't.......................

hold.............................................. .........

on................................................ .................................................. ............................

Shadow Skill
03-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Of course kung fu works in a street fight. I wouldn't say any martial art worked 100% of the time, because the nature of a fight is so unpredictable. Someone could attack you while you're not looking, have a weapon, or jump you. The truth is the effectiveness of any martial art depends on the person training. If you only practice forms and no sparring or 2 man training exercises you don't develope a fighting instinct. and if you just go to class every once in a while you really can't expect to be a good fighter. Remember the only way to become a better fighter is to practice fighting.

So your friend that studied karate did he know he was going to get in a fight ( was there a arguent first or a preceeding confrontation) or was he sneak attacked.

Chief Fox
03-29-2006, 09:07 AM
Yes, kung fu works. But no martial art teaches everything. Mantis is very effective but I would say the most important thing in any martial art is your instructor. How does the instructor approach kung fu? Do they concentrate on forms? Do they do two man drills? We he demonstrates a technique does he also demonstrate the appropriate amount of force and power to make the technique effective?

Just because a person studies a martial art doesn't mean they're a good fighter. I've seen several people that have studied an art for years but still wouldn't stand a chance in a real fight. Much of it depends on your willingness to mix it up and respond to violence with more violence. If you don't have the proper mindset then you're going to get your teeth knocked out evey time. It doesn't matter how many boards you can break or how high your flying kicks are.

Shadow Skill
03-29-2006, 10:18 AM
. Much of it depends on your willingness to mix it up and respond to violence with more violence. If you don't have the proper mindset then you're going to get your teeth knocked out evey time. It doesn't matter how many boards you can break or how high your flying kicks are.

I agree with this statement I've been in class and Sifu taught us a tech. and I would hear some one say "that would hurt I could never do that to someone". people like that lack a fighting spirit and the mind set for combat.

Emeraldphoenix
03-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Tough guys are tough guys and whimps are whimps, no matter what they study.

My old teacher used to tell us " all this training gives you a little extra edge against an average fighter."

Jun Fan
03-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Of course Kung Fu can be effective in a fight. I've used it many times to great effect. It was created by people who were literally fighting for their lives after all. But, it all depends on the training and the individual. Some people just aren't good fighters and no amount of training will change that. At the Tien Shan Pai school I went to there was a brown sash student that I would regularly work over in sparring. His technique was flawless, but he couldn't fight to save his life. If you train hard with LOTS of sparring and have a fighting instinct you'll find Kung Fu to be very much worth your time.

You also can't neglect cross-training. Your friend did and look what it got him. If you find yourself in a street fight and start whooping up on somebody with your mad skills they will quickly realize they can't compete with you standing up and try to take you to the ground and overpower you. This is a virtual guarantee. This is where the dreaded grappling comes in. Every self-defense oriented person NEEDS grappling training.

WOW
03-30-2006, 12:01 PM
I agree with this statement I've been in class and Sifu taught us a tech. and I would hear some one say "that would hurt I could never do that to someone". people like that lack a fighting spirit and the mind set for combat.

mind set and fighting spirit should also be taken care during your training.

SD is all dependent on the invidual and the situation. Awareness is also important.

Shaolinlueb
04-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Yes, kung fu works. But no martial art teaches everything. Mantis is very effective but I would say the most important thing in any martial art is your instructor. How does the instructor approach kung fu? Do they concentrate on forms? Do they do two man drills? We he demonstrates a technique does he also demonstrate the appropriate amount of force and power to make the technique effective?

Just because a person studies a martial art doesn't mean they're a good fighter. I've seen several people that have studied an art for years but still wouldn't stand a chance in a real fight. Much of it depends on your willingness to mix it up and respond to violence with more violence. If you don't have the proper mindset then you're going to get your teeth knocked out evey time. It doesn't matter how many boards you can break or how high your flying kicks are.

pretty much sums most of it up.

DoGcHoW108
04-09-2006, 07:39 PM
walls spinning........can't breath................a light............. I see a light...............

Oh god the agony........................make it stop.............make it stop.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! make it stop.

blacking.............................out.......... ...................

can't.......................

hold.............................................. .........

on................................................ .................................................. ............................

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

wait for it......

waaait.........

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

god****, that was ****ing perfect!!!

BeiTangLang
04-14-2006, 06:06 AM
No matter what you learn, if a sucker punch/kick/tackle/whatever happens, you've been had. Those are things hard to recover from in time to save your @ss. So, what ever you learn, be aware that there is no art is 100%effective ...no matter what it is.

SevenStar
04-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Of course Kung Fu can be effective in a fight. I've used it many times to great effect. It was created by people who were literally fighting for their lives after all. But, it all depends on the training and the individual.

Not every style of kung fu was created during war time or for the need of constant self defense...I think that is nostalgic fantasy that a lot of people like to buy into. And even if they were, they were fighting for their lives hundreds and thousands of years ago... fighting for your life today is quite different.

Some people just aren't good fighters and no amount of training will change that.

that is very true.

blackmantis
04-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Xingyi, Mantis, Shaolin, Hung Gar, Eagle Claw, Tai Chi, Bagua and Wing Chun are all tried and tested street fighting arts.

I'm also 18, I've been in martial arts since I was 13 and I can say that Kung Fu has saved me on numerous occasions!

neilhytholt
04-17-2006, 12:40 PM
The problem with kung fu in general is that they usually don't spar realistically.

IMHO sparring realistically is having a really good fighter really trying to really take your head off. It's just a level of intensity you don't find in the dojo where people are trying specifically NOT to hurt each other.

It's not that KF doesn't work, it's that their training is not usually realistic. I don't know any other way to run into this except get into a real fight on the street against a good fighter. The closest thing might be to spar with some boxers.

DoGcHoW108
04-17-2006, 03:17 PM
It's just a level of intensity you don't find in the dojo where people are trying specifically NOT to hurt each other.

its a level of intensity we call "fighting"

other than that, i agree.

mantis053
04-18-2006, 08:41 AM
I think so. Like some of the other posts said, it depends on the teacher and the individual.
The ONLY true test of a fighter is what he or she can do and no more. Form practice, sparring, self-defence practice and brick breaking are meaningless if the individual cannot withstand the burden of the REAL THING.
In a fight it is not just about dishing it out you have to able to withstand a blow too. On the street there ars no rules. An individual must be taught courage, fearlessness, and tenacity because on the street there are no second chances. It's either you or him. You must be ready mentally and phisically for any situation. That being said.
THE END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS !
SIGNING OFF NOBBY

shaolin_allan
04-23-2006, 12:48 AM
You have to look into the individual school and see what it is they tend to focus on. Like Bruce Lee said "fighting is alive and dynamic." The only way to be truely effective in fighting is to practice all different real fight scenarios. If you concentrate on forms and more showmanship type of kung fu ofcourse it won't be effective. It also depends on other things such as the number of opponents, their skill level, and yours. Also strength training is a very important aspect of any martial art to be effective, but it is also one of the most neglected aspects of many martial arts today. Without the power behind the techniques you're wasting your time.

Banjos_dad
04-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Bruce Lee said a lot of things, including "Don't mistake the pointing finger for the moon"

SevenStar
04-24-2006, 04:04 AM
The only way to be truely effective in fighting is to practice all different real fight scenarios.

I would disagree with that. judoka, thai boxers, capoeristas, boxers, wrestlers...none of them do scenario training, yet all can be devastatingly effective in a fight. The key is the training methods you use, not how much scenario training you do.

SevenStar
04-24-2006, 04:09 AM
Xingyi, Mantis, Shaolin, Hung Gar, Eagle Claw, Tai Chi, Bagua and Wing Chun are all tried and tested street fighting arts.

I hate the "battle tested" theory people always use. Battle tested by whom? if not by the individual in question, then the statement is regardless. Just because my coach's coach used his thai boxing in several streetfights and won, that doesn't mean that I can make it work; He is not me. TKD has worked in fights for many people; It has also failed many people miserably. Why? It was battle tested, right?

Cobra Commander
04-24-2006, 09:53 AM
No matter what you learn, if a sucker punch/kick/tackle/whatever happens, you've been had. Those are things hard to recover from in time to save your @ss. So, what ever you learn, be aware that there is no art is 100%effective ...no matter what it is.

Right but, if you are still able to fight and fend yourself after being hit, shouldn't you?
The only time i think you are unable to fight after being hit is if you face a guy like Mike Tyson who will probably leave you in a coma after one solid hit to the head. If Tyson hits you in the body, that would most likely stop you too. Of course there are those fighters who aim for your eyes, throat, balls who can stop you for a bit also.

Like one of the post above I agree that it often depends on your instructor/Sifu too. However, it also comes down to the student and his/her dedication, seriousness, determination, experience, and growth.

Good martial science/good Teacher/good student
=
Great progress.

SevenStar
04-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Right but, if you are still able to fight and fend yourself after being hit, shouldn't you?
The only time i think you are unable to fight after being hit is if you face a guy like Mike Tyson who will probably leave you in a coma after one solid hit to the head. If Tyson hits you in the body, that would most likely stop you too. Of course there are those fighters who aim for your eyes, throat, balls who can stop you for a bit also.

Like one of the post above I agree that it often depends on your instructor/Sifu too. However, it also comes down to the student and his/her dedication, seriousness, determination, experience, and growth.

Good martial science/good Teacher/good student
=
Great progress.

It sounds like you've never been sucker punched. When you get blindsided, you will think you DID get hit by tyson. Because you weren't prepared to get hit. And while you are dazed, he will keep throwing punches at you, and you will be helpless. This is what btl is referring to.

viper
04-25-2006, 11:47 PM
sevenstar is right a unprepared king hit will put you down no matter who you are you only learn by seeing it or having it done to you.

CaptinPickAxe
04-26-2006, 10:23 PM

I'm also 18, I've been in martial arts since I was 13 and I can say that Kung Fu has saved me on numerous occasions!

Tai Chi? Wing Chun? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Almost ALL Tai Chi is the neo-yoga for the middle aged/geriatric population. If you're lucky enough to find a good Sifu who teaches it's applications, he'll tell you that it isn't really effective unless coupled with an external art. It's the Yin and Yang. And Wing Chun...don't get me started on wing chun. Center Line attacking is BS! The knocked-knee stance is a push over stance and begging to be thrown by a good player.

If you want to be a good fighter, train in something that based on applications and applying those applications in sparring. You have to have the snot beat out of you if you want to learn. I, personally, enjoy losing fights. I learn more when I get pounded than when I'm owning.

Sorry, for the bad attitude...
I've been surly as of late:o

Samurai Jack
05-01-2006, 03:09 AM
Cap' I'd love to hear an explanation as to why you think centerline theory is "BS". I've experienced otherwise.

viper
05-01-2006, 05:45 AM
Captain pick axe I do wing chun id happly take you up on a friendly spar to show we are not all push overs i assure you. I also highly agree about losing for some reason when i fight spar alot of people im always improving or askig for crituque as in loss we grow to succeed but alot of people who win neva avctually look at why they are winning.just happy they win. I think atacking centre line def has its place and i use it alot.
The centrte line theory doesnt just relate to the absolute centre its as far as the two hands crossed can reach so theres alot to play with. One thing though is alot of peps dont atack the centre they just fight and go for whats there not that i dont think it works just make my life easier to know whats doin in there head. I think its not the system its the user and the teacher "exp is growth" So the only martial art I joke bout is tkd seems to b a joke now app.

CaptinPickAxe
05-01-2006, 10:48 AM
WC, in all the cases I've encoutered, is garbage. It's notorious, and I mean NOTORIOUS, for teaching the craptastic anti-grapple. Which will only work against an untrained attacker...if you're lucky. The center-line punches are just asking to have your arms tied up and doesn't produce enough power. It seems WCers rely on speed of hands, but that is only half the battle when it comes to punching. You need power, timing, and speed. Not just one of the elements. The knock-kneed stance is unstable an begging to be thrown by a good Player of a throwing art. Also, from all the WCers I've touched hands with, the stance isn't effective. Why square up on an opponent when that stance severely increases your chances of being grounded with a single/double leg shoot? Then what? Will your chain punching work when your on your back on the ground? (if you say yes, expect me not to respond to ANYTHING you have to say from that point on)

Fact is, the art died with Yip Man as he never found a succesor. All the bickering from the masters is from people who only learned a portion of the art (be it big or small, it still isn't the complete art).

Train in an alive art without the mystical mumbo-jumbo of the traditional arts that the Chop Socky geeks love so much. Once you get past the mysticism, then you can get down to the nuts and bolts of the fighting side of you art and find out if what you're learning isn't a bunch of Dim Mak malarky.

CaptinPickAxe
05-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Captain pick axe I do wing chun id happly take you up on a friendly spar to show we are not all push overs i assure you. I also highly agree about losing for some reason when i fight spar alot of people im always improving or askig for crituque as in loss we grow to succeed but alot of people who win neva avctually look at why they are winning.just happy they win. I think atacking centre line def has its place and i use it alot.
The centrte line theory doesnt just relate to the absolute centre its as far as the two hands crossed can reach so theres alot to play with. One thing though is alot of peps dont atack the centre they just fight and go for whats there not that i dont think it works just make my life easier to know whats doin in there head. I think its not the system its the user and the teacher "exp is growth" So the only martial art I joke bout is tkd seems to b a joke now app.

You bring up some good points. When you take the art and put it to a real situation, then you make that a living art. It's not just a bunch of suggestions of what might work if your in a fight. Most of the TMA's applications I've encountered and studied are far too scripted to work.

MasterKiller
05-01-2006, 11:26 AM
judoka, thai boxers, capoeristas, boxers, wrestlers..

Um...which one of these is not like the others?

PangQuan
05-01-2006, 12:35 PM
my favorite thing is when people will take somthing that they personally dont like, or may not understand, and pose as an expert and make claims based on thier personal beliefs.

if anyone has any questions as to whether kung fu "works" you either need to:

a: get a new teacher

b: get your head out of your ass

or

c: just give up now, cause you will never get it.

ninjutsu9
05-01-2006, 04:59 PM
any fighting style can be useful if you are naturaly good at the type of techniques, and the best self defense is awarness because that is the only way to defend against sucker punches, kicks,etc.

viper
05-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Captain pick axe you make some good points I also do bjj at my wc school to make us more rounded. As for anti grappling I know squat bout it but I know bjj so I wouldnt be to stressted if there was groudwork etc. Must be our school we train very alive we box almost as much as we wc its just smart eventaully all arts will be like one. Also chain punches on the ground ive seen that in vid clips and I showed my sifu and theres no way id ever do that standard ground and pound works fine hehe. These wc you have encounters were they just beginners chain punches have power its bout real practice not just air punching got to practise puting the energy into somthing or someone. With scripting of tma pherhaps thats ur issue and not the system.

CaptinPickAxe
05-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Unfortunately, that's what most Sifus/Senseis are teaching. Reaction for action. Not only does this throw a wrench into your "game plan" if your opponent isn't strictly adhearing to what the kata requires. It also leaves out the option of being the aggressor in a fight. Who thinks a pacifist who never trains full contact will win against a guy who truly loves to fight? I have touched hands with Praying Mantis fighters, WCers, and bland forms of Shaolin.

All are just entirely too full of themselves and their "rich history" to really give two hand fulls of monkey sh!t about if the students they produce can really fight. Let alone fend for themselves in a true fight situation. We've been training a couple of people here in Minneapolis and back in Texas. Two of my former students are WCers now and they have completely reverted to sissy slapping and senseless spiritualism most TMAs resort to. I think the mindset of most people who study MAs (Mystic Arts) are people who have watched one too many Jet Li or Jackie Chan flicks to really have any sort of creditablity on a real fight.

It all boils down to this:
Either you train to fight by fighting full force, or you train katas to learn a flowery dance.

CaptinPickAxe
05-01-2006, 05:33 PM
my favorite thing is when people will take somthing that they personally dont like, or may not understand, and pose as an expert and make claims based on thier personal beliefs.

if anyone has any questions as to whether kung fu "works" you either need to:

a: get a new teacher

b: get your head out of your ass

or

c: just give up now, cause you will never get it.

You take your Kung Fu with your Katas of Doom and I'll take my 2 hours sessions, 3 times a week of hard sparring, rigorous cardio, and form work (for correct form of kicks, punches, throws, and submissions) and we'll see who comes out on top. Or wait... I guess it's just me posing "as an expert" to make "claims based on personal beliefs."

Oh, BTW....
I don't make hasty generalizations.... I form them by spending time researching or practicing with or against an art/artist.

CaptinPickAxe
05-01-2006, 05:40 PM
any fighting style can be useful if you are naturaly good at the type of techniques, and the best self defense is awarness because that is the only way to defend against sucker punches, kicks,etc.

You could have the reflexes of a cat on PCP, but only luck will determine if you can counter/dodge/see the sucker punch coming. Even the most trained fighter can be at a disadvantage after a sucker punch....

It really changes your perspective on the world after you've been cold-co cked right on the button.

viper
05-02-2006, 06:09 AM
CPA you make many points my belief is train like to fight for me its hard hard go go I supose its putting wing chun in a mma bottle so to speak I tend not to talk to many other schools but many do tend to become to dancy based. why i like wc because punches come staight or around same with kicks "principles" thats it I try to blend science and the other stuff to make a good blend. I personally like training in hard sparing and conditionig it works but i also do forms and etc. Also my friend and I were walkng along he got kng hit out of nowhere no reason or warning it devasted him just put him down I turned to see the elbow by then the second was comin iv exp second or first hand wateva the devastation of a unsesepcting hit can do its true awareness plays a part but we arnt jesus (not trying to offend)_ and we cant see the future its like a rock falling from the sky hitting u n killing u awareness 0% Im not dissing it has its place esp in a confrontation that u actually know ur in thats all. I feel kung fu works so does carrying a fork uno pul it out stab the dude or chick or dog. I guess in suming its the tool u like to use for the job if it gets it done use it but the only way uno if it works is to use it. Also critical factor mental conditioning no amount of training will prepar you for certain aspects just look at post war stress some wont agree some will but look at the whole picture. (im aware of my many gramma n spelling mistakes i put all my effort into training its my excuse n im sticking with it.)

PangQuan
05-02-2006, 09:20 AM
You take your Kung Fu with your Katas of Doom and I'll take my 2 hours sessions, 3 times a week of hard sparring, rigorous cardio, and form work (for correct form of kicks, punches, throws, and submissions) and we'll see who comes out on top. Or wait... I guess it's just me posing "as an expert" to make "claims based on personal beliefs."

Oh, BTW....
I don't make hasty generalizations.... I form them by spending time researching or practicing with or against an art/artist.

you mean hasty generalizations like assuming all i do is practice "kata" :p

dont assume i dont train hard, i train twice as much time as you anyhow.

who says i dont spar hard, or work cardio. and who said i was talking to you in the first place. lol

Samurai Jack
05-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Captain Pick Axe:

Thanks for clarifying. I can't speak for or against wing Chun at all, since I've never been exposed to it. I have studied several other arts that rely on centerline theory as a method to exploit a standing opponent's balance, a guidline for sinking punches deep into an opponent's body while keeping some form of gaurd up, and a method for instantly figuring out what angles are open on an oppent at any given moment. These skills apply most directly to stand up fighting, and for that, learning to exploit and control the centerline is probably the single most effective fighting tool I know of.

As far as sparring is concerned, we are in complete agreement. Most, if not all of us need to get pumelled severly before we'll ever get an inkling of how our art really works in a fight. Too bad you live so far away. The local boxing gym just closed and I need some mean angry sparring partners who want to prove my stuff dosn't work. It's a painful lesson, but sometimes it's true. That's why we've got to keep testing ourselves.

Take care.

red_samurai
05-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Some people just aren't good fighters and no amount of training will change that.

Western attitude...
You get what you put in....
Hard work makes you a fighter...
You put in serious effort...
You will get serious results...
Im not talking what you "think" is serious...
it has to be real...
Hard work beats lazy talent anyday...
Talent...
Gee... Billy doesnt like baseball cause he isnt good at it...
he hasnt even tried hard...
lets put him in choir or something he has talent for..
He dont like to try hard!
it hurts his feelings!
Awe... he is crying... He didnt work at it hard enough and he only has himself to blame
If you get beat.... its because some one worked harder...
Maybe not that instant...
It coulda been in training in the past...
but it all catches up...
Some of us have a clue... but... I think thats about it...
Hard work defeats all obsticles...
just do the "Right" hard work...
and if you are really "serious"
then its no problem.
Talent... phhh

PangQuan
05-03-2006, 12:21 PM
if it takes one man one time to master his technique, you practice ten times.

if it takes one man ten times to master his technique, you practice one hundred times.

if it takes one man one hundred times to master his technique, you practice one thousand times.

with this method even the most untalented individual will get it.

i agree, hard work is the answer...

CaptinPickAxe
05-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Captain Pick Axe:

Thanks for clarifying. I can't speak for or against wing Chun at all, since I've never been exposed to it. I have studied several other arts that rely on centerline theory as a method to exploit a standing opponent's balance, a guidline for sinking punches deep into an opponent's body while keeping some form of gaurd up, and a method for instantly figuring out what angles are open on an oppent at any given moment. These skills apply most directly to stand up fighting, and for that, learning to exploit and control the centerline is probably the single most effective fighting tool I know of.

As far as sparring is concerned, we are in complete agreement. Most, if not all of us need to get pumelled severly before we'll ever get an inkling of how our art really works in a fight. Too bad you live so far away. The local boxing gym just closed and I need some mean angry sparring partners who want to prove my stuff dosn't work. It's a painful lesson, but sometimes it's true. That's why we've got to keep testing ourselves.

Take care.

I only pass on the tradition that my Sifu started. I don't teach, I just exchange ideas. Sometimes it's more than what is brought, sometimes I'm the student. It seems, as you said, we agree on training... but that's where it seems to end. I believe conditioning is the most important fighting tool. Even if you know how to exploit the centerline, if you can't take many solid punches. Your chance to exploit will have been waisted.

I have to leave for a few, but when I return, I will continue on my point.

PangQuan
05-03-2006, 03:55 PM
I agree

conditioning is certainly a point many martial artists overlook a bit too much.

if you find yourself up agains a solid opponent with a strong defense, and you cant last the several minutes its going to take to get inside or finish up, you will lose.

after your winded the first thing to go is your technique, so without proper conditioning your techniqe is worthless.

we lose a lot of students yearly at our school due to this, we do lots of conditioning. i find that the average person interested in the martial arts, are not willing to put in the work it takes to achieve a good rounded fighters conditioning.

conditioning is an excellent aspect of traditional arts that should certainly be put to use. run, climb, push, hit, get hit. and then do it all again.

SevenStar
05-05-2006, 02:57 PM

heh. Wrestlers. They are the ones that aren't stand up oriented.

SevenStar
05-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Hard work makes you a fighter...

nah. fighting makes you a fighter. All the hard work in the world isn't much help if you've never fought. Hard work is key, but that alone won't make you a fighter.

PangQuan
05-05-2006, 04:51 PM
hard work is a pre-requisite of a good fighter.

Samurai Jack
05-07-2006, 12:25 AM
Actually, when all else is done, I think it's the ability to eat pain that deferentiates the fighter from the hobbiest. Maybe the willingness to dish it out too. I'm surprised at the number of people who seem so reluctant to apply technique in a manner that actually causes pain, but who will take punches and whatnot and come back for more.

jethro
05-10-2006, 05:11 PM
God I love to get hit

until the next day when I can't move:D

CaptinPickAxe
05-12-2006, 12:46 PM
It is nice, right? You got to love how you feel like you were in a car accident then gradually it doesn't hurt as much any more....

you know...conditioning?;)

dw3041
05-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Conditioning using heavy blows is a common technique, but you can also condition your body to be able to take hits without going through the process of killing your nerves. Although it takes a bit longer, this is done in some soft styles of kung fu where having lots of feeling in your limbs is important.

CaptinPickAxe
05-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Conditioning using heavy blows is a common technique, but you can also condition your body to be able to take hits without going through the process of killing your nerves. Although it takes a bit longer, this is done in some soft styles of kung fu where having lots of feeling in your limbs is important.

Care to explain? The conditioning I'm aware of is Iron Fist/Shirt which still includes blows (albeit softer) to condition skin and bone.

Lot's of feeling in your limbs important only in certain forms of kung fu? Bah, you need sensitivity in everything so you can feel yourself being put in locks and the likes. The only thing that makes kung fu more l337 than everything else is Chi....

and we all know chi blasts are a bunch of crap.

greendragon
05-14-2006, 07:07 AM
I vote yes, it helps. I grew up street fighting. More important than ability to take a punch is killer instinct (fighting spirit). You guys that dig pain are sickos, I think there is a different website for you.
CPA you are too over confident and under estimating your oponent could be a big mistake. Also, this may shock you, the ultimate martial art is Tai Chi Chuan. It just takes years to learn with a good teacher to be able to use it well for real.

dw3041
05-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Care to explain? The conditioning I'm aware of is Iron Fist/Shirt which still includes blows (albeit softer) to condition skin and bone.
Lots of hard conditioning methods tend to deaden the nerve endings to reduce the feeling of pain. Softer methods of conditioning, such as Cotton Palm, use herbs that help bring the Qi to different areas of the body and help strengthen that area. Other methods are similar to hard conditioning only softer so it takes longer. The benefit of the longer process is that your body has time to actually build up it's strength insted of just losing feeling. By using hard methods you are cutting into the healing time of your nerves and you end up killing them and forming callouses.

One good way to build strength without loosing feeling is to roll your arms or legs across bamboo rods (or even just some wooden dowels). Just make sure not to bruise yourself while doing it. If you do, wait until it heals before doing it again.

CaptinPickAxe
05-14-2006, 07:18 PM
I've been rolling PVC pipes full of BBs and Sand down my shins and across my forearms. I also do Iron Palm, but I have to tell you, chum. There is nerve damage. Just not as exstensive.

Callousing is detremental as well my friend.... In a beneficial sort of way;)

dw3041
05-14-2006, 08:53 PM
I've been rolling PVC pipes full of BBs and Sand down my shins and across my forearms. I also do Iron Palm, but I have to tell you, chum. There is nerve damage. Just not as exstensive.

Callousing is detremental as well my friend.... In a beneficial sort of way;)
If you have nerv damage from rolling PVC on your shins and arms then you are doing it too hard. And iron palm does tend to damage your nerves, I never said it wouldn't.
I also never said that I was for callouses, I was saying the opposite actually.

MyDrills
05-24-2006, 09:46 PM

Monk San Te, ur Hungar is better :)

MyDrills
05-24-2006, 09:53 PM
CPA, i also do that to condition my shin. but i use chinese herbal medicine after.
makes my shin harder. :)

CaptinPickAxe
05-25-2006, 12:00 AM
I use dit da jow as well, but medicine can only cure so much. There is detriment to anything that has impact. No matter how varied the levels of detriment are, if you do it long enough, you'll end up the same way.

I'll give you a saying I know you TCMAers can dig:
There are two roads, the long one and the short one. They both have different distances but the same destination.

MyDrills
05-25-2006, 12:50 AM
CPA, i was referring to that as well. :)

MyDrills
05-25-2006, 12:54 AM
God I love to get hit

until the next day when I can't move:D

same here, i like to feel the impact. :)

makes you tougher the next time :) :)

spaced
06-02-2006, 06:42 AM
I'm 18 years old and was interested in learning kung fu, I had an interest in the mantis style. Anyways, I was just wondering if kung fu could really be applied to real life street fights? Do the techniques you learn really help you when the time comes? If so, how long would you say you have to be in Kung Fu before you learn how to defend yourself?

My friend was in karate his whole life and lost 5 teeth and got put in a hospital because the guy just tackled him and went for his face.

Just wondering if Kung Fu is really effective in real life situations and if i should invest my time in it.

Thanks, Nathan

You have the wrong mindset to study kung fu. Dont study kung fu, just because you hope that it will help you in a fight. Kung fu is not just about protecting yourself, its about making your mind better and changing the way you see things, improving your health - mind, body and spirit. If you want to do kung fu becuase you hope to beat people up, I suggest you give it a miss as you are not learning for the right reasons.

PangQuan
06-02-2006, 09:49 AM
people study for many different reasons.

if you just want to learn to fight. you COULD study kung fu. provided you find a good master. you can learn to fight.

true there is more to the arts than just fighting power.

if your connection to wanting to learn is strictly for fighting. that is fine.

if you find a good master and stick with your training, you will find the added benefits that good training will instill in a practitioner. they will make themselves apparent through hard work and dedication.

i say, if your motivation is to fight. then fight.

that is not an evil motivation, and it is better than none. you can grow from there.