PDA

View Full Version : Sparring and waivers.

packard
03-30-2006, 07:27 AM
Sparring and waivers.

Just a quick question, do any of the martial arts schools you attend or teach with in have waivers for sparring?

P

GreenCloudCLF
03-30-2006, 07:29 AM
Sparring and waivers.

Just a quick question, do any of the martial arts schools you attend or teach with in have waivers for sparring?

P

Do you know any that dont??!!?!?

Jun Fan
03-30-2006, 08:06 AM
Every school I've ever gone to made us sign wavers. They'd be crazy not to.

packard
03-30-2006, 08:34 AM
my school does not have a waiver - but we are based in the UK. I assume that makes a difference?

P

Judge Pen
03-30-2006, 08:41 AM
UK: It possibly might make a difference, but since most American law is based, somewhat, in English common-law, then I would assume that the doctrine of "assumption of the risk" is alive and well in the UK. Assumption of the risk is the driving force behind liability waivers.

You can defend a lawsuit based upon Assumption of the Risk even without a waiver, but the waiver is just clear evidence that they knew or should have known the risks of a particular activity.

ShaolinTiger00
03-30-2006, 09:27 AM
You sign a 6 page waiver/questionare/release before stepping foot onto my gym floor to warm up.

Oso
03-30-2006, 10:01 AM
You sign a 6 page waiver/questionare/release before stepping foot onto my gym floor to warm up.

[Waiver Envy]

would you be willing to share?

my waiver is only a page long.

[/Waiver Envy]

Shaolinlueb
03-30-2006, 10:35 AM
depending on how its written sometimes they dont do shiot. best bet is to get one revised by a lawyer. but yes almost all schools in the western mass area as far as i know have waiver that they make you sign when signing up.

personally i think if you dont have something that says "im not gonna sue your ass if i get hurt" is crazy. cause no matter how careful you are, an injury is gonna happen. mostly with beginers it seems from my experience. but never the less its a precautionary.

Chief Fox
03-30-2006, 12:00 PM
my school does not have a waiver - but we are based in the UK. I assume that makes a difference?

P
Yes it does make a difference. You see, people in the UK are typically pussie$, so there is no threat of injury, thus, no waivers. It's all pretty simple.

:D

Jun Fan
03-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Yes it does make a difference. You see, people in the UK are typically pussie$, so there is no threat of injury, thus, no waivers. It's all pretty simple.

:D

AHAHAHAHAHA:D

ShaolinTiger00
03-30-2006, 12:22 PM
[Waiver Envy]

would you be willing to share?

my waiver is only a page long.

[/Waiver Envy]

because of the nature of MMa and grappling I make everyone also sign an understanding of the amount of contact and accidental contact that may occur = preemptive strike on sexual harrassment.

I also have a release of treatment so that if little timmy falls and busts his head open i have the authority to attampt to save his life. (you'd be amazed that there are some people in the world that do not want this.. religion er something..)

Shaolinlueb
03-30-2006, 01:35 PM
because of the nature of MMa and grappling I make everyone also sign an understanding of the amount of contact and accidental contact that may occur = preemptive strike on sexual harrassment.

I also have a release of treatment so that if little timmy falls and busts his head open i have the authority to attampt to save his life. (you'd be amazed that there are some people in the world that do not want this.. religion er something..)

thats nice shaolintiger00. i never really thought about the sexual harassment form.

Becca
03-30-2006, 04:53 PM

P
Did you sign a contract of any kind with them? It might have been added in to it. That's the way my sifu does his.

Paul T England
03-31-2006, 02:45 AM
Would anyone like to give an example of a document. I think it might be useful to many schools.

I am in the UK but UI think its a good idea to at least cover your back!

Paul

Judge Pen
03-31-2006, 06:00 AM
Google "Liability waiver" or "exculpatory clause" or "hold-harmless clause" and see what you can find. Of course, that's never a substitute for a good barrister or lawyer. :)

Iron_Eagle_76
03-31-2006, 07:42 AM
Our school's is pretty simple, two pages, but was written by a friend who is a lawyer. Shaolin Tiger brings up a good point on the sexual harrassment issue while grappling.

Iron_Eagle_76
03-31-2006, 07:44 AM
Our school's is a basic two page written by a friend who is an attorney. Shaolin Tiger brings up a good point on the sexual harrasment during grappling issue.

Iron_Eagle_76
03-31-2006, 07:45 AM
Sorry for the repeat, computer screwed up and didn't think it went through!!:D

Oso
03-31-2006, 08:34 AM

yea, good point about the sexual harassment. heh, my biggest problem is a 17 year old who makes a lot of 'incidental' contact but so far my female students have handled him appropriately. luckily I haven't gotten in any women who are overly sensitive but I might.

i do have a statement about rendering first aid.

yu shan
03-31-2006, 08:43 AM
Oso, can you go into this a little for me? I`m right in the middle of changing my waiver, any input is appreciated.

Oso
03-31-2006, 09:49 AM
i just state that in the event of injury any first aid given may not be given by certified personel and as such any first aid given in non life threatening situations is voluntary on the part of the injured person....or something like that, i don't have it in from of me.

before anyone jumps all over me on that one: I've been certified in CPR off and on since 1980...8 or 9 times. For a period of 10 years or so I was certified continually and in that 10 years saw the format change 3 times ending in the same format it began in.

I've also been basic and advanced first aid certified a similar number of times as well as the whole boy scout first aid training.

At my current job at a school, the school nurse tends to call me for backup when she needs an extra hand in an emergency...like when the kids got his hand stuck in the milk machine...that was fun.

I know I should maintain certification in both as school owner but just never seem to get the time to get around to it.

besides, the last time I went through both they tried to recruit me as an instructor and I was like "what's the pay?"...'nothing'..."No thanks".

ShaolinTiger00
03-31-2006, 09:50 AM
yea, good point about the sexual harassment. heh, my biggest problem is a 17 year old who makes a lot of 'incidental' contact but so far my female students have handled him appropriately. luckily I haven't gotten in any women who are overly sensitive but I might.

i do have a statement about rendering first aid.

I just want to clarify that my acknowledgement adresses that the student realize that there is a great deal of contact, but by no means are they to accept innapropriate contact etc..

Oso
03-31-2006, 09:59 AM
of course.

maybe what I said wasn't too clear.

all of my female students are adults and i have a couple of teen males in hte adult class. one of them seems to 'accidentally' make contact a bit too often. the situation came to my attention from two of my women and we talked about it and they felt like they could handle it in an appropriate manner and solve the problem instead of me having to talk to him about it. they did and it's not an issue any longer.

yu shan
03-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Let me guess, the ole "an zhang" double pressing palms to the chest? ;)

Oso
03-31-2006, 11:54 AM
pretty much everything w/ all the strikes to ribs and stomach in our two person drills...and the chin na we do.

packard
04-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks to the response to the post every one. It has been very helpful.

Does any one wish to post a copy of the waiver used by thier school? It would be really helpful to pass on to my teacher, who has spoken to me about this recently.

many thanks,

P