PDA

View Full Version : Stop time with your mind omgwtfbomb!

IronFist
03-30-2006, 02:08 PM
http://www.grasshopper.com/mind-games/how-to-stop-time

_William_
03-31-2006, 08:31 PM
AAAAUGHHH!!!

****KA-BOOOOOMMM!!!****

(That was the sound of my mind exploding)

_William_
03-31-2006, 08:38 PM
But seriously, OMG it worked. What the hell?

David Jamieson
04-01-2006, 03:53 AM
it gets better.

here's the thing, because of the intertwined nature of matter and conciousness, when you do that, you are only stopping time for yourself and nothing else. all other timelines but your own continue on around you uninterupted.

IronFist
04-01-2006, 10:45 AM
^ So do you end up a second behind them when you resume "normal" time?

If you have a normal watch that is aligned with the clock on the screen, and you do that trick to stop the second hand on the screen, when you get back will it match your watch again? What's going on?

fa_jing
04-01-2006, 09:17 PM
I noticed no effect whatsoever.

_William_
04-02-2006, 08:21 PM
With further experimentation it seems to be an optical illusion more than anything. I tried playing music in the background, and had a flashing icon on the screen. None of this stopped. So, it seems with the diverting of the eyes from the clock, it is optical illusion.

Oh well...

David Jamieson
04-03-2006, 08:35 AM
the result is, that the more you do it, the slower your body ages.

hence meditators look younger.

Ou Ji
04-03-2006, 09:58 AM
I doubt you would see or hear anything, other than a brief persistance of image, since sound and light waves would no longer reach your senses.

So obviously it's an illusion.

Actually, if time stopped for a moment then started again would anyone notice?

MasterKiller
04-03-2006, 10:05 AM
^ So do you end up a second behind them when you resume "normal" time?

If you have a normal watch that is aligned with the clock on the screen, and you do that trick to stop the second hand on the screen, when you get back will it match your watch again? What's going on?

Same as "jet lag" effect. Jet lag is the effect caused on your body by traveling in time a few nanoseconds (plane is high up, traveling faster than earth...you know the story). You eventually catch back up and recover.

Crushing Fist
04-03-2006, 10:20 AM
isn't jet lag caused by time zone changes?

seems a few nano-seconds here and there wouldn't make much difference

I could time slip 1000 nanoseconds and still be only a millionth of a second behind.

nothing to lose sleep over

MasterKiller
04-03-2006, 10:31 AM
isn't jet lag caused by time zone changes?

seems a few nano-seconds here and there wouldn't make much difference

I could time slip 1000 nanoseconds and still be only a millionth of a second behind.

nothing to lose sleep over

Nothing to lose sleep over, correct. But when you travel through time, it affects you physically. And that is exactly what occurs when you fly in an airplane, above the Earth's surface, at speeds differing from the rotation of the planet. Your body on the plane ages RELATIVE to the plane in flight, not the planet. So when you land, you have either gained or lost a few nano-seconds, which makes some people ill.

Crushing Fist
04-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Where are you getting this info?

I'm not questioning that travelling at very high rates of speeds effects relative time...that is proven.

just that it is the primary cause of jet-lag

everything I see about it is in reference to the disruption of the body's diurnal rhythm by a matter of hours... not nanoseconds worth of time travel

if this experiment has anything to do with time at all, it would have to be in perception of time, not physical time-relativity.

unless you're in a jet pulling Mach 2 while websurfing

IronFist
04-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Jet lag is the same as it would be if they go "alright, everyone set your clocks forward 3 hours starting tomorrow." Everyone would be messed up just the same.

Ou Ji
04-04-2006, 06:28 AM
No, jet lag is like flying to China when the environment says daytime but your body says night and wants to sleep.

Changing your clock to a later time has no effect on the human body.

Unless you have a magic clock that changes real time. :)

MasterKiller
04-04-2006, 10:45 AM
If you were instantly transported from Los Angeles to New York, would you still get Jet Lag?

Travellers can experience jet-lag-like symptoms after long flights having a minimal time change like the Amsterdam to Johannesburg flight.

The effect, known as time dilation, occurs whenever two observers move relative to each other. In daily life we don't notice weird time warps, because the effect becomes dramatic only when the motion occurs at close to the speed of light. Even at aircraft speeds, the time dilation in a typical journey amounts to just a few nanoseconds. Nevertheless, atomic clocks are accurate enough to record the shift and confirm that time really is stretched by motion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

Those nanoseconds of time travel cause your body discomfort.

Ou Ji
04-04-2006, 01:13 PM
"Crossing time zones can cause you to wake during the night or have difficulty getting to sleep and then want to fall asleep during the day. Your inbuilt circadian rhythms have been disturbed, and it can take many days for the body to readjust to the new time zone."

"Crossing time zones

The main but not the only cause of jet lag is crossing time zones. Usually going east is worse than going west. Children under three don't seem to suffer jet lag badly as they are more adaptive and less set in their ways. Adults who adjust readily to changes of routine also seem less susceptible to jet lag. Those who are slaves to a fixed daily routine are often the worst sufferers."

"Jet lag, or desynchronosis, is a temporary condition that some people experience following air travel across several time zones in a short period of time. This causes the traveler's internal clock to be out of sync with the external environment. People experiencing jet lag have a difficult time maintaining their internal, routine sleep-wake pattern in their new location, because external stimuli, like sunshine and local timetables, dictate a different pattern. For this reason, one can feel lethargic one moment and excited the next. Jet lag creates a double bind for vacationers and business people who must cross several time zones to reach their destination, but who are also intent on maximizing sightseeing or productivity. As travelers attempt to adjust their internal clock to a new external environment, symptoms result with varying intensity.

Jet lag (desynchronosis) occurs while rapidly crossing time zones, or, more specifically, it occurs after crossing the Earth’s meridians. Meridians demarcate geographic position in relation to the Earth’s poles and, ultimately, define time zones. Jet lag is a unique sleep disorder because its onset is not necessarily caused by abnormal sleep patterns, like insomnia. Travelers who sleep normally prior to transmeridian travel are not immune to jet lag; the symptoms result when a person’s internal clock attempts to acclimate to a new external environment. This acclimation involves circadian rhythms that, among other functions, are associated with the body’s management of sleep. "

Nothing at all to do with time dilation.

MasterKiller
04-04-2006, 06:43 PM
That is old medicine and outdated. We live in a quantum world now and better explanations are available.

Royal Dragon
04-04-2006, 07:11 PM

Reply]
I don't belive it. I think it's just lethargy from sitting too darn long.

MasterKiller
04-04-2006, 07:25 PM

Reply]
I don't belive it. I think it's just lethargy from sitting too darn long.

If that were the case, you would suffer from jet lag after a long drive, or even a train ride.

But most people will suffer some symptoms after a 12 hour flight, even if you don't land in a different time zone, as long as it is East-West or West-East.

If you fly from LA to NY back to LA again, you will probably suffer some symptoms. But according to the Circadian rhythms theory, you should not suffer because your destination does not mess up your biological clock.

There is no Jet Lag effect from North-South flight travel as you are still rotating at the same speed as the planet.

Scott R. Brown
04-05-2006, 12:39 AM
I am not impressed!

Time always stops for me whenever I gaze into my wife's eyes!:)

(Guess whose getting laid after their wife reads this!!:D )

OOOPS!!!!! I think I just blew it!!!:mad:

Crushing Fist
04-05-2006, 07:26 AM
contradicting yourself now?

Travellers can experience jet-lag-like symptoms after long flights having a minimal time change like the Amsterdam to Johannesburg flight.

There is no Jet Lag effect from North-South flight travel as you are still rotating at the same speed as the planet.

which is it?

I did find an article with a topic named "jet lag" which refers to time-dilation, but it appears to have been merely a clever name pun and does not mention jet-lag sickness at all
this is it (http://aca.mq.edu.au/PaulDavies/publications/papers/sci_am_2.pdf)

it also has a chart which mentions a submarine at a depth of 300 miles relative to sea level... thems sure is deep waters :p

here (http://freespace.virgin.net/ahcare.qua/literature/science/timeflow.html) is another artice which has copied portions of text from the previous, and it still talks about circadian rhythms being the cause of jet-lag symptoms.

On the topic of the thread... its portion on"mind time" is likely most relavent... like I said before, time perception is what is changing here.

I recall reading a book "the cycles of heaven" which talked about experiments in which people removed from normal external time stimulus (brought to the arctic circle with 6 months of daylight for instance) and given watches that had innacurate readings, like moving too slow. Without any other stimulus the inaccurate watches were enough to entrain them to its longer than 24 hour day cycle.

This still isn't jet lag, but its somewhat interesting.

So...

I ask again

masterkiller

where are you getting this info?

I've looked and not found... perhaps a link?

or is this your own theory?

:)

TenTigers
04-05-2006, 07:28 AM
My Mind is stopping with time. I think it's called alziemer's disease.

MasterKiller
04-05-2006, 07:47 AM
which is it?

According to quantum mechanics, it is both.

Crushing Fist
04-05-2006, 08:32 AM
I'm going to have to say...

TROLL!!!

and here I thought Quantum Mechanics was all about particle/wave theory, not the inability to present a consistant and supported argument.

:)

MasterKiller
04-05-2006, 08:40 AM
and here I thought Quantum Mechanics was all about particle/wave theory

That is old quantum theory and outdated. We live in a unified-theory world now and better explanations are available.