PDA

View Full Version : Acupuncture to quit smoking?

Lau
04-03-2006, 04:04 AM
Ls,

My wife want to quit smoking and is thinking about acupuncture for some help. Can acupuncture really help to quit smoking? And if so, how does that work?

Best regards, Lau

Xiao3 Meng4
04-03-2006, 06:17 AM
I used it to quit smoking... it worked! :)

These days, most cities offer free auricular acupuncture for addictions, so check around and you'll probably find one. The treatment is most effective if you arrive at the sessions "sober"... that is, without having smoked that day. Most treatments consist of 5 needles in each ear for 45 minutes, followed by semi-permanent ear seeds (hard kernels stuck over ear points with tape; when you're craving a cigarette, simply press the seed until you get a reaction from the point). Treatments are 2-3x a week for approximately 3 weeks. Times vary depending on will and commitment.

It's painless, and helps greatly with symptoms and stress. It's still up to you, to quit, though... the needles don't brainwash you.

CSP

Lau
04-07-2006, 01:50 AM
Thank you for your reply, I will tell my wife about this. Good thing it helped for you!

Best regards, Lau

couch
04-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Thank you for your reply, I will tell my wife about this. Good thing it helped for you!

Best regards, Lau

I am an TCM doctor in training in Calgary, Alberta. It is very successful in controlling cravings and regulating appetite - as many people feed their old addiction with food, etc.

Just want to say that it is an aid, just like the "patch." You have to want to quit smoking and make that promise to yourself...and we're here to help. Just like Xiao Meng said.

Ear acupuncture works the best for the actual addiction. There are also ear seeds that can be placed in your ear(s) for after the treatment and to be pressed in the event of a craving.

All the best..good luck to your wife!

Kenton Sefcik
2/3rds a doctor!