PDA

View Full Version : Old MA booklet I found

anerlich
04-03-2006, 07:10 PM
I recently helped move my 86-year-old father in law into a retirement home, and to sell his house for him.

While going through the enormous amount of crap accumulated over his close to 50 years in the house, I found a little book entitled "Hit 'em hard! Ju-Jitsu", by a guy called Tommy Turner, who apparently used to instruct the cops and WWII infantry in H2H combat in the 30s and 40's.

The book looks to be at least 50 years old, and was sitting in his garage for at least 20. My FIL is one of the planet's laziest men, and my BIL is a navy veteran but a man whose principal hobby is drinking beer, so I have no idea how it came to be in their possession.

While sipping skim soy lattes with a bunch of my metrosexual Wing Chun dilletante friends in a local trendy cafe, I figured it might be an idea to share it with fellow internet warriors such as yourselves:

http://www.zeta.org.au/~ajnerl/ttjj/ttjj.html

The images load a bit small but will zoom to legible size. Excuse the poor page design, but such aesthetics are not a passion of mine.

If you don't think this is WC related and shouldn't be on the forum, feel free to ignore it. If you wish to abuse me for it, remember I'd probably enjoy that.

kravi
04-03-2006, 11:22 PM
interesting reading..

what's a waddy?? (page 43)..

fiamacho
04-04-2006, 02:22 AM
While sipping skim soy lattes with a bunch of my metrosexual Wing Chun dilletante friends in a local trendy cafe, I figured it might be an idea to share it with fellow internet warriors such as yourselves:

Good for you as long as you know how to apply and stop wasting time with the Chai Lattes, ou should be ok.

So tell me how's your Tok Sau?

golden arhat
04-04-2006, 06:13 AM
pretty average book. although it is your perogative (it should be his) i would thouroughly advise against sending your father to a retirement home almost nobody deserves to go there not sure about oz but here in the uk they leave people in there own filth and beat and abuse them while in care its in the news all the time it is disgusting :eek:
also what do chai lattes taste like:)

Nick Forrer
04-04-2006, 07:35 AM
Hey Andrew

Nice find..thanks for posting this

*peruses over it sipping a mocha frappachino with a shot of vanilla syrup*

Will be an email coming your way soon:)

Nick Forrer
04-04-2006, 07:40 AM
although it is your perogative (it should be his) i would thouroughly advise against sending your father to a retirement home almost nobody deserves to go there not sure about oz but here in the uk they leave people in there own filth and beat and abuse them while in care its in the news all the time it is disgusting like:)

Depends. My late Grand parents were in a very nice home on the southern coast in sussex. However it cost a fortune and was essentially a glorified hotel. I dont dispute however that the way old (poor) people are treated in this country (England) is a disgrace. And given that we have more and more people living beyond retirement age its only going to get worse:(

lawrenceofidaho
04-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks, Andrew.......

The "full-nelson escape-to-leg-lock" is interesting. I'm looking forward to trying it. :)

-Lawrence

couch
04-04-2006, 11:45 AM
interesting reading..

what's a waddy?? (page 43)..

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/waddy

anerlich
04-04-2006, 03:30 PM
although it is your perogative (it should be his) i would thouroughly advise against sending your father to a retirement home almost nobody deserves to go there not sure about oz but here in the uk they leave people in there own filth and beat and abuse them while in care its in the news all the time it is disgusting

The alternative was leaving him in his own home - he's a difficult, insensitive and ornery old basket who didn't want to live with any of his kids (and they weren't overjoyed at the prospect either). He's almost legally blind, partially deaf, had one fall, and fallen asleep twice with stuff on the stove and nearly set the place on fire. He also had an intruder come in once and steal $1000 from his wallet (he has issues with banks :rolleyes: ). His house is away from public transport and he has heart trouble which means he can't walk the c. 1km to shops, etc.

He would have required frequent visits from one or more us all the time. There was one night his phone wasn't working and I had to do a 100Km round trip to make sure he wasn't dead (as it was, my sister in law had bought him a new phone with big numbers for his bad eyes, but it had technical probs with the bell).

My wife and her siblings spent HUGE amounts of time looking for a good place for him, Where he is now is, as someone else said, like a hotel ... his meals are provided and cooked for him, they make sure he takes his medication on time (which he forgets otherwise), someone cleans his (private) room and changes his bedding, etc., his laundry, dental care, entertainment are provided. It's almost like being on a cruise, except the scenery is less interesting.

It's a HUGE relief to everyone, including him, involved that he finally made the jump.

Tok sao is just fine, thanks, and I've never tried chai ...

golden arhat
04-05-2006, 01:34 AM
thanks for clearing that up my grandpa has issues with banks also:rolleyes: , he lost his entire savings when thay went bankrupt

Ultimatewingchun
04-05-2006, 09:47 AM
Some interesting moves, Andrew...Gonna try the full nelson escape also! :rolleyes: