PDA

View Full Version : congradulations canada on preserving your national igloo

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-05-2006, 07:16 AM
yanks say the darndest things:

http://www.dumpalink.com/media/1144225521/Americans_Talk_About_Canadians

David Jamieson
04-05-2006, 07:36 AM
That's an old Clip from Rick Mercers "Talking with Amercans".

There has been a long standing joke in canada about our american cousins that they live in an insulated box. Rick set out to see if that was true.

Well, he got a few seasons worth of shows talking to a wide range of americans including intellectual elite and even statesmen from the US and found there was a contiguous thread of ignorance when it came to the US perception of Canada.

The only retaliation for this would of course to be to send up a comparable american comedian say, jon stewart up to Canada to do a show of a similar vein.

Only, I think that Canadians would fair a lot better. :p

Oso
04-05-2006, 07:56 AM
I think Canada is A-OK.

'course I take that opinion from one visit to the Sundowner in Niagara...;)

David Jamieson
04-05-2006, 08:10 AM
well most canadians think america is ok too. lol

we just love poking fun at the big guy because he's an easy target.:p

MasterKiller
04-05-2006, 08:41 AM
Canadians are easy to pick out in a crowd. Something about bulbous eyes being too close together smacks of the Canadian gene pool.

Oso
04-05-2006, 09:10 AM
i dunno, i didn't see anything like that description at the Sundowner.

hands down the best establishment of that sort I've ever been to.

David Jamieson
04-05-2006, 10:29 AM
spoken like a true patriot wolfen.

I enjoy jons critiques of our political process, in fact i found them hilarious esecially when he juxtaposed the mudslinging of the states compared to the equivalent that is found in a canadian political campaign.

um, when's the last time you watched 22 minutes? it's a far cy from the old school 50+ demograph of air farce.

even i don't like air farce, it's old and moldy and all it's comedians except for the recently injected new bloods are from teh 60's era and still have that old perspective ergo, they aren't that funny to me or my generation and the younger generations.

problem is they are entrenched in canadian tv, we have a lot of old people and so, they still are on.

Rick Mercer on the other hand has a show that is more similar in vein to jon stewarts offerings and has some pretty edgy stuff.

difference is that rick gets face time with the high office politicos all the way to the prime minisiter, as does 22 minutes, whereas in the states, you will never see the president or his cabinet getting into a little self deprecating humor.

American humor historically is not self deprecating and instead revolves around making fun of someone else.

Canadian humor on the other hand is more like british comedy in that it gives us a chance to laugh at ourselves.

It's a cultural difference.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-05-2006, 12:10 PM
exceptions and rules and all, but yeah i can agree with that.