PDA

View Full Version : Aids?

Emeraldphoenix
04-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Curious, Would you teach someone who has AIDS?/Work out with someone who has AIDS?

If anyone does please tell us your experience.

David Jamieson
04-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Sure. Why not?

I don't think sparring full contact would be a wise choice due to the risk of blood being let, but standard workout is no barrier.

MasterKiller
04-05-2006, 01:24 PM
I would train them to hit bags, mitts, and such, but I would not engange in any kind of contact drills.

I get blood on me sometimes just from light rolling-- scraped toes, bloody noses, busted lips, torn scabs, ripped fingernails...the chance of exposure is just too great for me.

SanHeChuan
04-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Blood
Seminal and vaginal fluid
the fluid in your joints
and breast milk

carry the HIV virus

Saliva
sweat
urine
and fecal matter

by them selves do not carry the virus

It shouldn't be a problem, but you should educate yourself about the virus for your own piece of mind.

Still i can understand some trepidation. :o

jethro
04-05-2006, 01:31 PM
david is right that you could not do any type of sparring, but with training there is no way to transmit by just accidentally touching his/her sweat. Blood is the only way and though it needs to be their blood going into an open wound of yours, this should not happen if you are cautious. Everybody needs to be given a chance. But I have never heard of a case where people are sparring and getting AIDS that way. There are few ways to transmit it, and other than sex and needle use with drugs or blood exchange, there are far fethced ideas that culd happen like Adabezie's ***** method. But be cautious and you can certainly train people with aids. A doctor's opinion on this would also be vital.

Emeraldphoenix
04-05-2006, 01:32 PM
How is old Cherry point doing? I was stationed at Lejeune 1/8.

Oso
04-05-2006, 01:36 PM
As far as AIDS goes, I pretty much feel the same. Forms and other solo work would be fine but we regularly draw blood with our two person...nothing serious: scratches, busted noses and lips, ripped fingernails.

But, where to start? Have a questionaire? You'd need to cover everything else...hepatitas? mad cow disease?

I work with OSHA regs on Bloodborne Pathogens and deal with all types of body fluid on a daily basis.

Maybe martial arts schools are a little behind the times as far as all that goes but I think we'd be looking at discrimination issues if we said they could do one aspect but not the other.

Anyone know how this is handled in pro boxing? the Olympics?

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-05-2006, 01:41 PM
if i were an aids patient i would train with other aids patients or i would shadowbox/do forms.

the guilt i would have of infecting someone else would simply not be worth the risk. there are too many variables.

Chief Fox
04-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Curious, Would you teach someone who has AIDS?/Work out with someone who has AIDS?

If anyone does please tell us your experience.
It depends on if they're gay or not.

David Jamieson
04-05-2006, 01:50 PM
pro boxing disallows aids victims from participating.

olympics disallows it in contact sport venues.

Emeraldphoenix
04-05-2006, 01:55 PM
So you are saying, that you are looking for date?:eek:

Oso
04-05-2006, 01:56 PM
DJ, you're usually correct I think on facts like this. so...it seems as if you could get sued but if pro boxing and especially the Olympics have set the precedent that there IS a danger to other people by allowing someone with AIDS to participate in contact sports then you probably wouldn't have to worry about losing the case if you decided that you didn't want to chance it.

what about lepers?

Emeraldphoenix
04-05-2006, 02:01 PM
The only problem with lepers is that you have to contend with flying body parts. It is very annoying when a nose goes flying across the room thus momentarily distracting you and your opponent takes this split secong to take you out while watching his nose fly into the changing room.:eek:

Oso
04-05-2006, 02:03 PM
that was the mental picture.:D

trying to remember the Monty Python skit....

Chief Fox
04-05-2006, 02:05 PM
So you are saying, that you are looking for date?:eek:
Ummmm, uhhhhhh, hmmmmm...never mind.

Good one. :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-05-2006, 02:10 PM
party at the leper colony (http://users.1st.net/abaddon/leperparty.mp3)

SanHeChuan
04-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Emeraldphoenix,

You know we're still swinging with the wing. I find the area to be particularly sparse with the womens. I'd rather be any where esle they could send me, if my sister didn't live in VA.

Chief Fox,

Did gayness become contagous now too :eek:

I'm no fan of the ****'s but theres gay and then theres GAY, and the move GAY you are the less likely you'd be doing martail arts anyway.

I don't think i'd refuse to train with someone for being gay unless it was BJJ :D Then i'd be all for it :eek: wait...what...no...i mean...(just joking in case you didn't get it)

BJJ is sooo gay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzdT-kerHac&search=BJJ%20) :D

Chief Fox
04-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Chief Fox,

Did gayness become contagous now too :eek:

Nah, Just trying to liven the place up a bit.

Emeraldphoenix
04-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Atlantic beach and emerald isle had some female folks running around. Or just do what we used to myrtle beach baby. 2 hours and nothing but the honies and they like marines down there. that is for sure.:D

David Jamieson
04-05-2006, 02:44 PM
I used to play poker with a leper, but he kept throwing his hand in.

so, i decided to try hockey, again with a leper and again, there was always a face off in the corner.

yuk yuk

my apologies to all the lepers out there.

David Jamieson
04-05-2006, 02:50 PM
by the by, special olympics and the gay olympics allow aids victims to participate, but again, not in full contact sports where bleeding is a possibility/probability.

all sanctioned boxers must signed a waiver declaring they are free of transmissable disease and that means any disease such as hep as well.

Chief Fox
04-05-2006, 02:57 PM
by the by, special olympics and the gay olympics allow aids victims to participate, but again, not in full contact sports where bleeding is a possibility/probability.

all sanctioned boxers must signed a waiver declaring they are free of transmissable disease and that means any disease such as hep as well.
GAY OLYMPICS! So the sports would be, figure skating and..........

jethro
04-05-2006, 03:10 PM
So really aids victims should DEFINITELY be allowed to compete in demonstrations and individual competitions, which is not the same as full contact. But at least they would be able to learn and display their skills. And chief foxcan be gay if he wants to, I would just have 2 reasons to run from you now:D ;)

KC Elbows
04-05-2006, 03:42 PM
GAY OLYMPICS! So the sports would be, figure skating and..........

The louge.

David Jamieson
04-05-2006, 03:49 PM
One would also have to consider that when a person has aids, they are likely not in the mental and physical condition to participate in olympic calibre sports at that level.

It is highly debilitating in scope and eats away at a person in most cases.

someone who has HIV in very early stages may be different, but Aids is another matter entirely.

To the point where it would likely be self evident that participation in high caliber competitive sports would not be a probability for someone suffering with the disease.

jethro
04-05-2006, 03:58 PM
One would also have to consider that when a person has aids, they are likely not in the mental and physical condition to participate in olympic calibre sports at that level.

It is highly debilitating in scope and eats away at a person in most cases.

someone who has HIV in very early stages may be different, but Aids is another matter entirely.

To the point where it would likely be self evident that participation in high caliber competitive sports would not be a probability for someone suffering with the disease.

I have not been well learned in the drastic differences as having aids or having hiv. I don't know how long it takes before it becomes aids. So while all that info would help a lot, I know that we all remember magic johnson, when he came back and had hiv, he was still a GREAT player even with how old he was. So the way I have always figured it is if you have hiv you have a chance, but when you have aids, you're screwed, right??? I just don't know the stages and how it affects you, how healthy you are in the first place, how the virus reacts to your body, etc. There is a lot that factors in here that would be very hard to analyze.

Wood Dragon
04-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Leprosy is one of the -least- communicable diseases, as only a tiny percentage of the population is vulnerable to infections (95% of the human race is naturally invulnerable). Actual infections are easily countered with MDT.

Hieronim
04-05-2006, 11:22 PM
question is would you work out in a gym with someone who has aids?

Iron_Eagle_76
04-06-2006, 06:09 AM
As far as the HIV or AIDS issue, I would let them train but no contact sparring or rolling as there would be too much risk. Someone mentioned how does pro boxing deal with this issue, anyone remember Tommy Morrison,(played Tommy Gunn in the atrocious Rocky 5), he was diagnosed with HIV in the early 90's and was not allowed to box anymore, to my knowledge, if anyone has further information please elaborate.

Mr Punch
04-06-2006, 06:40 AM
:eek:

...and some of those dirty buggers almost certainly had HIV.

If they bleed, don't swallow it!

Little cuts on someone with HIV are not going to transmit it unless they are rubbed into your little cuts, you ingest it etc... I think people are far too sensitive aboutt his, and the boxing ban is just for show.

On a side note, things like hep are far more contagious.

Ray Pina
04-06-2006, 07:11 AM
My master makes everyone wear gloves when we train. He doesn't mind being bruised, he doesn't want to be scratched. If you're pushing hands, use a pair of clean socks like arm condoms.

Oso
04-06-2006, 07:22 AM
:eek:

...and some of those dirty buggers almost certainly had HIV.

If they bleed, don't swallow it!

Little cuts on someone with HIV are not going to transmit it unless they are rubbed into your little cuts, you ingest it etc... I think people are far too sensitive aboutt his, and the boxing ban is just for show.

On a side note, things like hep are far more contagious.

true but I've certainly had blood from other folks on my skin while I've had open cuts...even in day to day work I had a situation where me and another guy were trying to get a big motor out of a fan unit, it slipped and both our hands got cut bad enough that by the time we were able to get the motor lifted back up and get our hands out, you couldn't tell who's blood was on who. that was actually kind of funny as we first thought our arms were stuck and two a third party observer we were in a somewhat compromising postition. ;)

Hep is certainly more contagioius.

For a school owner, or a large organization like the IOC, it becomes a liability issue.

I may be wrong but as the owner, if you allow someone with a potentially lethal contagious disease to engage in contact events that have a risk of transmission, no matter how small, then you become liable.

JP????

MasterKiller
04-06-2006, 07:42 AM
My master makes everyone wear gloves when we train. He doesn't mind being bruised, he doesn't want to be scratched. If you're pushing hands, use a pair of clean socks like arm condoms.

Gloves with velcro straps can scratch the hell out of your arms, especially if you do a lot of pummeling. My arms have been scratched up enough during pummling drills that blood transmission would be a concern for me.

Emeraldphoenix
04-06-2006, 07:49 AM
I may be wrong but as the owner, if you allow someone with a potentially lethal contagious disease to engage in contact events that have a risk of transmission, no matter how small, then you become liable.

Then maybe you could not teach someone in a school setting. or atleast sets only for them/no contact at all type drills.

If what you are saying is true then that is interesting. Never actually thought of it that way.

All the feed back has been good.

Oso
04-06-2006, 12:06 PM
then there's the other side of the coin: What obligation would you or I as school owner have to notify the rest of the students? I'm not sure exactly what the laws are against discriminating against someone with HIV/AIDS but I'm sure there are some.

I don't think you can discriminate agianst HIV/AIDS in employment but I'm not sure...haven't ever run across that yet.

For me, it's pretty settled, if the IOC and whatever the top boxing association is have ruled that HIV/AIDS victims can't participate in contact sports then I'd probably try to follow that lead. But, that pretty much means that in my two hour class someone could only really participate in the first and last 30 minutes.

Ray Pina
04-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Gloves with velcro straps can scratch the hell out of your arms, especially if you do a lot of pummeling. My arms have been scratched up enough during pummling drills that blood transmission would be a concern for me.

We use cotton gloves, like what you'd wear to do some yard work.

SanHeChuan
04-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Like those japanese cab driver mickey mouse gloves:D

Mr Punch
04-07-2006, 10:46 PM
I don't think I want to be stuck to anyone with blood, AIDS or no!

Anyway, as for liability I think you have to make it public in the UK but I don't think this is ever harshly enforced because of protection of privacy. It's double-edged I guess.

Certainly if you tell the class someone has AIDS I guess it's up to the individual wants to train with them. For me, I would. If I'm wearing long training pants and long sleeves there's less chance of getting cut, and at breaks you can always check. Of course, if somebody's badly cut and bleeding all over the place it's no go, but I would rather think so AIDS or no again.

tree beard
04-09-2006, 09:24 PM
firstly, i would contact my attorney.

second, i would most likely offer an interested party the opportunity to enroll in private lessons at the open-class price. hopefully, this would be accepted.

as far as what i know on liability... persons with aids ARE protected by an ammendment to the constitution. for example, i am a real estate agent. if i am selling a person's home who is infected and i tell a potential buyer that information, and they back out (or even if they don't) then i could get in serious trouble. however, protection only goes so far. people with aids aren't allowed to give blood and hospitals don't get sued for discrimination, so i imagine that you wouldn't be liable in a situation where blood is a potential hazard. on the other hand, you may find trouble in disclosing to other students that one student is infected. that IS most likely going to be the groundwork for a lawsuit.

again, call an attorney. :)