PDA

View Full Version : Dr Glenn Morris -soke RIP 1944-2006

Blacktiger
04-05-2006, 04:36 PM
On April 1, 2006 Dr. Glenn Morris passed on and left the Hoshin system as his legacy. His life, works, seminars and personality will forever stay in the hearts of all those he touched.

The Grandmaster or Soke of the Hoshin System is Dr. Glenn Morris. Dr. Morris has trained in the martial arts for over fifty years. He began studying jujutsu, then judo, tai chi, kung fu, karate, boxing and wrestling. He earned his first black belt in jujutsu in 1965 while in the U.S. Army and taught self-defense in Germany for 3rd Med and later at Penn State University. He began teaching the Hoshin system of meditation and martial techniques at Hillsdale College in Michigan in 1980. In 1982, he and several students became interested in ninjutsu and began attend seminars with Stephen Hayes. This exposure to ninjutsu led to training under Hatsumi-Soke and a relationship of respect that continues to this day.

In 1985, Dr. Morris endured the greater kan and li of nei shen gung fu, sometimes referred to as Kundalini and in 1986 was made a member of the Chinese National Institute of Chi Kung. In 1989, he was recognized by the government of South Africa as a master instructor of martial arts by their Wu Shu Federation while he was putting on demonstrations in Johannesburg. In 1990, he achieved the rank of godan and shidoshi in bujinkan budo taijutsu at the Atlanta Tai Kai. In 1991 he was given the rank of rokudan and title of oshihan in nihon karatejutsu. In 1992, Dr. Morris was inducted into the World Martial Arts Hall Of Fame. He has been involved in martial arts for over fifty years and is an elected member of the prestigious World Head of Family and Sokeship Council as well as their hall of fame.

Educational Background

1985-1999 Continuing education courses for personal growth, professional seminars in humanistic psychology, bodywork, gestalt therapy, Rubenfeld Synergy, hypnotherapist certification, Chinese medicine, meditation and hypnosis, subtle energy medicine and NCTT. Achieved kudan and oshihan master level rankings in favored martial arts.

1980 Ph. D., Wayne State University; Communication Rhetoric and Public Address, emphasis on organizational communication, industrial psychology and psychotherapy. 1991 Sci. D., Eurotechnical Research University. Statistical study on transpersonal and biological aspects of leadership based on godai and TCM.

1973 M. A., Pennsylvania State University; Speech with emphasis in group dynamics and teacher training.

1968 B. A., Pennsylvania State University; General Arts and Science with emphasis in theatre and anthropology.

Martial Arts Ranks and Titles

• Present Soke (Head of Lineage) Hoshinroshiryu
• Grandmaster of the Millennium, 2000
• Elected to WHFSC Hall of Fame 1996, and Grandmaster of Year (Southwest Region) 1997
• Elected to Grandmaster of Year (Combat Arts) 1996
• Member World Head of Family Sokeship Council since 1992

• 2000 Soke of the Millennium
• 1999 Kudan (9th dan) Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu
• 1993 Hachidan (8th dan) Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu
• 1992 Hanshi European Samurai Jujitsu
• 1991 Oshihan (Major Master) Bunbu Ichi Zendo Budo Bugei Remmei
• 1991 Rokudan (6th dan) Nihon Karate Jujutsu
• 1990 Godan (5th dan) Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (Togakure Ryu Ninpo) jiki-deshi of Masaaki Hatsumi-soke.

• 1990 Kyoshi (knight) Yi Tsung Fighting Society
• 1985 Kundalini process began
• 1985 Sifu (teacher) Taotien Wei Shen Chi Kung
• 1965 Shodan (1st dan black belt) Nihon Karate Jujutsu
• 1955 First jujutsu lesson from cousin, Master Sergeant Bobby Briggs.

Dr Morris had a massive pool of knowledge in the martial arts and for those lucky enough to train with him or do a seminar you will know he was simply mind blowing no matter what style you were from.

I dont know if anyone here has trained with him but I thought I would post this just in case people had not heard the news as he trained with a vast group of martial artists.

mickey
04-05-2006, 05:16 PM
It is really sad to hear this,

Though I have never met the man, I really enjoyed his books. I extend condolences to all he considered family, friends, and fellow hobbyists.

mickey

jethro
04-05-2006, 05:32 PM
may he rest in peace.

IronFist
04-05-2006, 06:08 PM
RIP.

I read one of his books.