PDA

View Full Version : ATTN Coach Ross

Ray Pina
04-06-2006, 07:10 AM
Just got the e-mail announcing the upcoming MMA events .... congratulations for being able to put something like that together and thank you; you're giving all of us additional opportunities to test and improve ourselves.

My only beef is not being able to strike the head while on the ground (I'm a striker not a locker, and this makes it a locking game) and not being able to jump on a guy after knocking him down with a strike.

I'm seriously considering entering the June and August event, just that I feel like the rules favor a locker, because while on the ground they don't have to worry about a forearm to the face and can just keep latching onto extremities with no consequences. But, no head gear!!!!!

I'm stoked.

What's the weaight divisions: 176 and 187?

tjmitch
04-06-2006, 08:12 AM
Just an idea...but instead of going for the ground and pound, stand back up. Back into your world , similar to the chuck liddel school of MMA.

hjt
04-06-2006, 08:31 AM
i believe youre allow to strike to the body. which can cause as much damage as striking to the head. its all for safety reason, also its an amature event.

but this is cool.

is there going to be a MT event in the city?

Ray Pina
04-07-2006, 06:21 AM
I actually like finishing by ground and pound when I can. And yes, body shots can cause damage, but I do not think they compare to striking the chin/neck area.

I think I'm definitely going to do the August one, just have to think how I want to aproach it strategicaly. Technically, if you get the guy with a few good shots he can go down and you can't jump on him and strike his head. And if he pulls you down you can't reverse it and strike his head .... this seems to favor the grabber. But that's alright. It's all experience.

Is there a 3 knock down rule? That can even things out a bit.

hjt
04-07-2006, 07:39 AM
I actually like finishing by ground and pound when I can. And yes, body shots can cause damage, but I do not think they compare to striking the chin/neck area.

I think I'm definitely going to do the August one, just have to think how I want to aproach it strategicaly. Technically, if you get the guy with a few good shots he can go down and you can't jump on him and strike his head. And if he pulls you down you can't reverse it and strike his head .... this seems to favor the grabber. But that's alright. It's all experience.

Is there a 3 knock down rule? That can even things out a bit.

i didnt know strikes to the neck were allowed in any MMA competition?

MMA is a game of skills, if you cant GnP them, you can submit them and vice versa.

no offense to you, but that is the typical answer of anyone, who is not knowledgable of the ground game, they say that these rules favor the ground fighter, i dont think its true, if you are a good fighter, you make them fight your fight not theirs.

Ray Pina
04-07-2006, 10:05 AM
I understand what you're saying, but if you're not allowed to strike the guy in the face when he's down, or, if you knock him down and can't go down and finish him off with strikes, then the rules forbid me from playing my game, let alone force anyone else to play it. Do you understand that?

I'm just discussing here and realise it is what it is, but I would think most people would see those rule sets as favoring a grabber. I wouldn't say I lack knowledge of the ground, in fact, my last three fights were all decided on the ground.

It's just like a TKD tournament saying you can't punch the face or capture the kick .... who does that favor, the puncher or kicker? Doesn't mean the puncher can't kick, just means it limits him to play their game.

Idealy I'd play with no gear, no rules. I don't even like some UFC rules. I think if a guy shoots and fails and gives you his head he should be punished for it with elbows to the base of his spine. That's fighting. I understand this is sport.

But like I said, I apreciate the opportunities Coach Ross is providing and understand the NJ Athletic Commission will not sanction a blood bath, though I'm sure there will be blood. I was surprised how blood soaked the San Da ring was in Dec. Kind of cool getting in there and seeing .... adding a good portion of my own too, unfortunately.:(

hjt
04-07-2006, 11:25 AM
I understand what you're saying, but if you're not allowed to strike the guy in the face when he's down, or, if you knock him down and can't go down and finish him off with strikes, then the rules forbid me from playing my game, let alone force anyone else to play it. Do you understand that?

I'm just discussing here and realise it is what it is, but I would think most people would see those rule sets as favoring a grabber. I wouldn't say I lack knowledge of the ground, in fact, my last three fights were all decided on the ground.

It's just like a TKD tournament saying you can't punch the face or capture the kick .... who does that favor, the puncher or kicker? Doesn't mean the puncher can't kick, just means it limits him to play their game.

Idealy I'd play with no gear, no rules. I don't even like some UFC rules. I think if a guy shoots and fails and gives you his head he should be punished for it with elbows to the base of his spine. That's fighting. I understand this is sport.

But like I said, I apreciate the opportunities Coach Ross is providing and understand the NJ Athletic Commission will not sanction a blood bath, though I'm sure there will be blood. I was surprised how blood soaked the San Da ring was in Dec. Kind of cool getting in there and seeing .... adding a good portion of my own too, unfortunately.:(

you have to realize that MMA is a sport, its not street fighting, there are rules and governing bodies that make these rules, these rules are there to protect the fighter.

i come from the old school training, train to fight and prove it, but i know the difference between sports fighting and real fighting, in a real fight all technique go out the window, when presented with the fact that the guy you are fighting wants to kill you too and things you trained and practice in class arent that effective in the streets. i know that in sports fighting there is more control and i know that what i m up against. i personally prefer ring fight its fun.

may i ask where have you fought, besides a san da fight?

ShaolinTiger00
04-07-2006, 11:50 AM
I agree with Ray, the USKBA amateur rules suck ass. shinguards? no hitting the head on the ground? WTF?

I understand the idea and goal behind amateur MMA and I support it, but there has to be some more tweaking..

ex. in OH amateur rules essentially 3, 3minute rounds. nothing to the head but a fist but you can hit anytime. no shinguards, 6 oz. gloves.

Ray Pina
04-07-2006, 12:40 PM
may i ask where have you fought, besides a san da fight?

I don't compete in tournaments anymore, so besides San Da I have no "official" fight experience. I do try to fight every 50 days or so if I can, be it a Throwdown or a challenge match.

I bang with my students from time to time too but I don't count that, because no matter how much I demand it, I still feel they don't let loose on me because I'm their teacher.

I plan on starting a MMA career this summer and have focused my training more than ever. I'm down to a pretty lean 184 right now.
---------

ShaolinTiger: I hear ya.

I was talking to a Krav guy at work, and he's like, well, the other guy can't hit you on the ground either. And I understand that reasoning, but I'd rather allow it. I usually go for a lock to make the guy defensive so I can hit. I like hitting. I only know one or two locks:o

But I'm down for the experience. And I like that it's no head gear .... thank God. I never feel like I can breath with those things on. I'm looking forward to it.

I just hope my master doesn't give me hell, supports me, and maybe comes out for this one. Would be nice to have a corner. At the same time I'm not rushing because I am in the middle of learning some new stuff. I guess I'll keep training hard and take inventory around mid-June and see what's what.

lkfmdc
04-07-2006, 04:01 PM
It's pretty simple, if you don't like shin guards and want to hit the head on the ground you can do what a lot of peole have done over the last ten years, just fight pro and never do amateur....

NO one is going to show up at your house and force you to enter an amateur USKBA event!

If you don't like it, don't do it... there are plenty of pro shows around

Green Cloud
04-07-2006, 09:51 PM
I chalenge every one to a San Da match or a duel the death!!!

lkfmdc
04-08-2006, 09:26 AM
KOF Death Duel rules suck arse!!!!

If I can't bring my friend with his chainsaw WTF??!!!! That isn't a real duel to the death

hskwarrior
04-08-2006, 12:22 PM
are 12 guages ruled out?

what about brass knuckles?

are we allowed to utilize snipers?

Just wanted to know.

hsk:D

Green Cloud
04-08-2006, 01:23 PM
LOL you are a sick puppy:D