PDA

View Full Version : Q about UFC from back in the day.

tug
04-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Does anyone know how to find old fights from the early years of UFC? I am looking for one in particular from the mid 90's, but since I don't know the guys name, it's pretty difficult. Their website is great, but I don't know if they archive anything.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

TuG.

Donkwoon
04-06-2006, 03:31 PM
http://www.noholdsbarred.tv/ufctapes.html

I think you can get them all right here. I remember the first 5 or so. What are you looking for?

tjmitch
04-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Give some more info about which fight you are looking for. You know white guy/black guy mulllet/no mullet musclar/fat guy... that sort of stuff. What was the fight intersting for? A big KO...., a guy carrying a cross into the ring...some huge nut puches?

tug
04-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Ok, tall, lanky black guy, first round KO (if I remember correctly). The thing I will never forget (this is why I want to see it again) is at the start, the first thing he does is a front kick to the chest which actually connects and throws his opponent halfway across the ring. It was pretty amazing to me, because you hardly EVER see high kicks work in the ring, but he pulled it off. Big gamble too IMO.

Knifefighter
04-06-2006, 04:33 PM
I beleive that was Pat Smith who landed that kick.

tug
04-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Great, thanks guys, will do a search and get back if anyone wishes. I do apologize for the lack of information, it's just that back then I had no idea how UFC would explode into the force to be reckoned with as it has become. I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention at the time.

tug
04-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Checked out the site, but the links take you to Amazon buy the DVD. Pat Smith is indeed listed for UFC 1, but I am not interested in spending any money on it (go figure). I am just looking for the footage to view online.

Again, much thanks for the effort.

BTW - watching UFC Unleashed Live as we speak.

Shaolinlueb
04-06-2006, 06:51 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YL2NsALHyrU from ufc2

also try http://www.whoopass.tv/

MasterKiller
04-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Back in the day
before clocks and gold.
I used to go to the show
and sit in the front row.
Hopin' and prayin' someday
I'd get on a roll
so I could Fila's in the summer
and a mink when it's cold.

tug
04-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks Lueb, but that's not the one, even though it is pretty badaaass.

Mr Punch
04-07-2006, 10:21 PM
It was pretty amazing to me, because you hardly EVER see high kicks work in the ring, but he pulled it off. http://martial.best.vwh.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41005

tug
04-08-2006, 06:10 AM
Ok, so Crocop has amazing leg work, I saw that, but that's not what I was looking for.

(His hits are brutal, though, anyone know why he doesn't fight UFC?)

tug
04-08-2006, 07:22 AM
I beleive that was Pat Smith who landed that kick.

Upon further review, don't you mean Maurice Smith? Not doubting, just still trying to nail this one down.

Thanks,

TuG.

David Jamieson
04-08-2006, 03:01 PM
who could ever forget fred ettish's fetal fighting style. :p

or tank abbot, who dominated it with zero training and was just an all out badasssssss.

the debut of the gracie choke out was another highlight of the evolution of ufc.

suffice it to say, it is better now than it was then. before it was a circus of nutjobs and anger management candidates for the most part.

Nowadays, it's mostly technicians who are mouch better to watch and dissect.

s'all good though.

jethro
04-08-2006, 03:39 PM
who could ever forget fred ettish's fetal fighting style. :p

or tank abbot, who dominated it with zero training and was just an all out badasssssss.

the debut of the gracie choke out was another highlight of the evolution of ufc.

suffice it to say, it is better now than it was then. before it was a circus of nutjobs and anger management candidates for the most part.

Nowadays, it's mostly technicians who are mouch better to watch and dissect.

s'all good though.

I saw a LONG fight on cheap seats one time on espn classic. One guy was named tank and he was 100% muscle and you could literally tell a minute before he was going to throw a punch but he was one of the biggest badasses I have ever seen. He was fighting a guy who was way taller and had to kick tank about 200 times in the fight. Is this the tank you are talking about because that is one of the best fights i have ever seen. :D :D

tug
04-08-2006, 03:41 PM
There is and has only been one Tank - Tank Abbott.

wufupaul
04-08-2006, 04:11 PM
UFC 6- Pat Smith vs. Rudyard Moncayo :D

FatherDog
04-08-2006, 08:49 PM
or tank abbot, who dominated it with zero training

Except for his ten years of wrestling and amateur boxing.

David Jamieson
04-09-2006, 09:47 AM
actually, tank has been doing boxing training for some twenty years or so, but back in the day, he wasn't training in any sort of regular way.

To attribute 10 years of boxing to him is a bit generous just because he worked out in a boxing gym that he even admits he gets bored with.

There's training, then there's training. :p

Tank's Crazy is mostly all natural. Sure, he trains now, but back then? Nah. NOt with any seriousness, he'd rather fight than train.

tug
04-09-2006, 11:57 AM
I would tend to agree with your observation of Tank's abilities, and I would also tend to believe that he is an exception to the rule as it applies to MMA - he's just a crazy brawler that you will never forget you messed with, win or lose.

jethro
04-09-2006, 01:46 PM
I saw a LONG fight on cheap seats one time on espn classic. One guy was named tank and he was 100% muscle and you could literally tell a minute before he was going to throw a punch but he was one of the biggest badasses I have ever seen. He was fighting a guy who was way taller and had to kick tank about 200 times in the fight. Is this the tank you are talking about because that is one of the best fights i have ever seen. :D :D

I am only 22, so getting my hands on videos of these is kind of hit and miss. But IF you are talking about the tank I saw, then I have to mostly agree with you. But I would go ****her, he's not just a brawler. He's more extreme than than. He will start out like every round just coming at you with recklessness you would only see from komodo dragon on crack. He comes out swinging so hard that within 30-60 seconds into the round he is ready to fall over he is so tired. But then he gets hit and he starts throwing way more wildly and somehow makes it to the start of tyhe nextround so he can wail on dudes again and hopefully take em out quitck. Great fights no matter what tank fight it is, but tyson would have put him down by the second round.

Becca
04-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Sounds like the same Tank, 'cept he has never been accused of being 100% muscle. He was more of the deceptively strong fat guys. You know, like that weight lifter that looks flabby, untill he wins a competition with out really trying.:cool:

This is the Tank. (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?fighterid=110)

jethro
04-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Sounds like the same Tank, 'cept he has never been accused of being 100% muscle. He was more of the deceptively strong fat guys. You know, like that weight lifter that looks flabby, untill he wins a competition with out really trying.:cool:

This is the Tank. (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?fighterid=110)

NOOOOOOOOOOO

That is not it.

The guy I am talking about may not be from ufc, i'm sorry I couldn't really follow this back in the day. The guy I saw I believe was fighting in the world kickboxing championship. SO ALL OF MY PAST COMMENTS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT BIG WHITE GUY. The guy I'm talking about was black, I'm not sure if his name was tank, but when I saw this thread I thought it had to be him, no training, total badass, and the name tank seemed like the only name that fit him.

Teh fight I saw was the longest fight I have rever seen since vargas vs. quartey where guys are KILLING eachother the entire fight. And if anybody is familiar with cheap seatsm, then you know it kind of like mystery science theater 3000. THIS FIGHT TOOK UP THE ENTIRE EPISODE AND WAS TRULY ONE FO THE GREATEST FIGHTS EVER. So the tank I am thinking of was like 5 foot 10 and was ALL muscle. But like I said, this guy is black and may look more muscular than he actually is, and even though i haven't ever seen the real tank fight, I would still throw a couple bills down with good odds for my tank to win, cause this is THE crazaiest fighter I have ever seen. ANYONE KNOW WHO THIS GUY IS, TANK IS A NAME THAT I CAN'T REMEMBER IF THAT'S HIS NAME, BUT IT IS THE ONLYONE THAT FITS.

And Becca, thanks for the link, I don't get many websites at work, but sherdog.com looks pretty cool...:D

Becca
04-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Yeah, Sherdog is my favorite site for trying to find fighters.
Speeking of which, Zane Frazier (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?search=yes&fighterid=18) kind of fits your discription. I actually went to Clash of the Titans to see him and Jake Hatten fight. I'd seen old IFKA footage of Zane and had a feeling it would be a good fight. Which it was, BTW.

FatherDog
04-09-2006, 07:39 PM
actually, tank has been doing boxing training for some twenty years or so, but back in the day, he wasn't training in any sort of regular way.

To attribute 10 years of boxing to him is a bit generous just because he worked out in a boxing gym that he even admits he gets bored with.

I didn't actually mean "ten years of amateur boxing". I should have said "Ten years of wrestling, and some amateur boxing". He had ten years of wrestling before he stepped into the UFC, and some amount of amateur boxing experience.

jethro
04-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Yeah, Sherdog is my favorite site for trying to find fighters.
Speeking of which, Zane Frazier (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?search=yes&fighterid=18) kind of fits your discription. I actually went to Clash of the Titans to see him and Jake Hatten fight. I'd seen old IFKA footage of Zane and had a feeling it would be a good fight. Which it was, BTW.

This guy is too big, the guy I am thinking of is WAY more muscular and shorter and uglier. Trust me if you find him you will kno wwho I am talking about. And if you don't recognize him, you will find a gem of a fighter:D I would buy the cheap seat season 1 or something, but I don't think it is out:(

Ou Ji
04-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Ok, it will take awhile before I can go through my tapes but I recorded a lot of fights back in the early televised shootfighting and ultimate fighting championship.

I know I have the first one. I'll let you know what I find.

jethro
04-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Ok, it will take awhile before I can go through my tapes but I recorded a lot of fights back in the early televised shootfighting and ultimate fighting championship.

I know I have the first one. I'll let you know what I find.

it was a kickboxing championship, pretty sure not ufc and he was the 260 pound muscle man with the shaved head was going up against a tall tough black guy who kicked A LOT.

The fight itself is epic on every level and again one guy is black, huge and all muscle, other guy is muscualr tall, black, and really tough, but somehow looks about half the man as muscles.

omarthefish
04-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Ok, so Crocop has amazing leg work, I saw that, but that's not what I was looking for.

(His hits are brutal, though, anyone know why he doesn't fight UFC?)

Since no one picked up on this, I will.

Most likely because he's already fighting in both K1 and Pride which both carry more prestige and pay about 5-10 times what the UFC does. Also, the restart rule in Pride works in his favor as his groundwork is very mediocre for that level of competition.

tug
04-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks, guys.

Jethro, the fight I'm talking about is definitely old school UFC. It was one of the ones that I was actually able to get some friends and money together for the PPV aspect, and that's part of the reason I want to see it again. Good times...

Ou Ji, it would be greatly appreciated if you could find that fight between Smith and Mancayo and post it, because no matter where I look, I am coming up empty handed. I suppose if it comes down to it, I can buy it. Please let me know.

Omarthefish, thank you for the clarification. I am aware of the other sanctioned MMA tourneys, but didn't know the requirements/specifics/preferences of entering.

On that note, I would tend to agree that Crocop is probably better off elsewhere besides the UFC.

TuG.

jethro
04-10-2006, 08:03 PM
hey i don't know nothin about old school ufc, btu was looking thru this and saw the name tank and thought it was about a guy I saw a while ago, sorry to bog down the thread, I will probably start a new one if nobody recognizes this guy I'm looking for:D

tug
04-11-2006, 07:42 AM
hey i don't know nothin about old school ufc, btu was looking thru this and saw the name tank and thought it was about a guy I saw a while ago, sorry to bog down the thread, I will probably start a new one if nobody recognizes this guy I'm looking for:D

Yeah, pretty sure we're not talking about the same guy.