PDA

View Full Version : lucky number slevin

doug maverick
04-08-2006, 11:12 AM
watched this flick yesterday, and i gotta say i really, really liked it. it was funny, and the action was great(it had some great bloody kill scene's) my only prolem is(and it may not be a proplem for most people) is that there are (spoiler alert) to many twist, way too many. but it was really good sorta like north by northewest but with a couple(okay alot) of twist. josh hartnett was okay, so was lucy liu. morgan as always stole the show. if you want a good tarrintino meets guy ritche(i'm talking about snatch and lock stock, not that **** crab he did with madonna) style film then check this out!!!!!!!!!!!

mickey
04-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Greetings,

I saw this movie and enjoyed it. It is nice to see name actors surrender their egos for an overall great ensemble performance.

mickey

dwid
04-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Wow, I gotta say I had a different experience with the movie. I thought the dialogue was downright annoying. Why does every single conversation have to be an exchange of clever little quips between characters? It was the clumsiest dialogue I've seen in a movie in a long time. The action was okay, but overall the performances were a lot of showboating with no real depth. The character development never really went beyond an attempt to convince the viewer that all these guys are really cool.

North by Northwest? I don't think this movie and that one are in the same hemisphere. Not even close. Hitchcok was a great director, there was nothing all that impressive about the direction in this film.

I can kind of agree with the Guy Ritchie comparison, because his movies tend to be a bit shallow. Entertaining as hell, but no real depth. This movie was like that, but not as entertaining.

Regarding the Tarantino comparison, I would say it was more reminiscent of all the generic knockoffs that came out in the wake of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.

I really wanted to like the movie, but it just didn't come together for me.

jethro
04-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Wow, I gotta say I had a different experience with the movie. I thought the dialogue was downright annoying. Why does every single conversation have to be an exchange of clever little quips between characters? It was the clumsiest dialogue I've seen in a movie in a long time. The action was okay, but overall the performances were a lot of showboating with no real depth. The character development never really went beyond an attempt to convince the viewer that all these guys are really cool.

North by Northwest? I don't think this movie and that one are in the same hemisphere. Not even close. Hitchcok was a great director, there was nothing all that impressive about the direction in this film.

I can kind of agree with the Guy Ritchie comparison, because his movies tend to be a bit shallow. Entertaining as hell, but no real depth. This movie was like that, but not as entertaining.

Regarding the Tarantino comparison, I would say it was more reminiscent of all the generic knockoffs that came out in the wake of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.

I really wanted to like the movie, but it just didn't come together for me.

I hated sexy beast but snatch is an all-time fav for me, you think I would enjoy it??
Don;t shoot me alright man, just asking you a question.

dwid
04-16-2006, 05:13 AM
I hated sexy beast but snatch is an all-time fav for me, you think I would enjoy it??
Don;t shoot me alright man, just asking you a question.

As long as your expectations aren't too high, you might like it. I think the dialogue will likely be hard to take - Snatch definitely had dialogue that was better written in the sense that it rang true to the characters. The dialogue in Slevin abandoned any sense of legitimacy in exchange for cleverness. It's like the characters are all interchangeable.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, you know. I don't mean to criticize anyone who enjoyed the film, I was simply expressing my own feelings regarding it.

Shaolinlueb
04-16-2006, 08:23 AM
i thought lucky number slevin was good. i think you analyze it too much man. i usually dont dig lucy liu but she was hot in this movie.

dwid
04-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Trust me, I didn't set out to overanalyze it. I wanted to see something light and entertaining. I'm about to take my licensure exam to be an RN, and was looking for an evening away from working on stuff related to the test. The dialogue made it impossible for me to suspend disbelief or fully immerse myself in the story. That made me kind of angry.

doug maverick
04-18-2006, 09:52 AM
my comparison to north by northwest was only in idea,josh harnett plays a character who was mistaken for someone else, ofcourse there two deferent films, of course north by north is better. i mean if you think about it hollywood films in general are on a downward scale, mainly because you corparate america running it and not people who know and understand film, they don't care about films they just want dollars. they try to shove crap down our throughts(thus all the bloody remakes), like they do there products. there are many talented writers and directors out there who are not getting a break, so they produce there films independently, there are so many mediums now to get your film out you don't really need hollywood, it has become a jaded lifeless organism, a carbuncle on the skin that needs to be removed. i mean you still have comapnies like deminsion and on occasion twentieth century fox. that put out good films, but hollywood as it once was is a dead past time................