PDA

View Full Version : Selfdefense in The Streets with Wing Chun or Any Martial Art ?

Firehawk4
04-08-2006, 05:17 PM
This is what someone wrote about selfedefense in the streets this is about Muay Thaiboxing but that is not what concerns me it is the thought of useing excesive force in the streets for selfdefense or what is the limit that you can use as far as force goes agianst your attacker are there limts ? And what are they ? And what kind of trouble can you get into if you use to much force agianst your attacker even if he has a knife ? Here is what they said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard
Muay Thai is a Great method of fighting. Utter Crap for self defense.
OOOh. Did i hit a nerve? So you go in for the Jab, elbow him unconcious and then knee his body to pulp. What do you tell the cops then? Opps?
Self defense also means keeping your ass out of jail.

Hit a nerve? No. However, I disagree that its "crap" for self defense. But its far from the best self defense art. However, I will say that the rigorous, realistic training of MuayThai actually makes it more effective than many other so-called "Self Defense Arts", because even though you might not know actual self defense application, you have the technique and the timing to defend yourself against a lot of attacks, armed or unarmed.

And as far as what you tell the cops, who says that we're dumb enough to stick around and wait for the cops? I coach MuayThai, and I will readily admit that 99.99% of what I teach is meant for the ring. But I always emphasize ONE self defense strategy.

Hit them as hard & fast as you can, then run like hell. Once you're home, call a friend and get them to vouch that you were with them the entire evening.

planetwc
04-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Firehawk,

Why are you worried? Given your current medical situation you are unable to train in any martial art anyway--therefore you aren't going to be in any situation where this applies to you.

Firehawk4
04-08-2006, 05:48 PM
My medical condition has changed i should beable to take martial arts classes this summer . It is a matter of being able to afford the classes at this point .

bcbernam777
04-08-2006, 06:05 PM
If he means hit and run then I agree, but if he means, hit, then beat to a bloody pulp, then run, well this is the type of meat head attitude that has been the instigation of tougher laws in respect to self defence, and for any one to suggest that you should run home and concoct an alibi to basically lie to the police is more a sad reflection on this persons own moral compass, and their entire lack of personal responsability.

anerlich
04-09-2006, 09:52 PM
I was walking down the street one morning and three big tough-looking guys were coming the other way, dressed in loose denim. One of them either had the band of his boxer shorts clearly visible over the top of his jeans.

I wanted to show no fear, as I knew that would be fatal. I looked each of them briefly but directly in the eyes, walking with a confident, firm gait. Each met my gaze in turn.

Then they looked past me and kept walking. I did the same.

I turned the corner and went into my workplace.

THE END

canglong
04-10-2006, 09:12 AM
My medical condition has changed i should beable to take martial arts classes this summer . It is a matter of being able to afford the classes at this point . Firehawk, glad to hear this breaking news wherever you train just enjoy the training as your skill tries to catch up with your knowledge. We look forward to seeing you at an upcoming seminar :)

Roy D. Anthony
04-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Firehawk, It is my understanding that, especially from a Canadian Law perspective, that if you defend yourself and you are known to be a MArtial Artist, then you should be able to use this guideline. If he breaks your wrist , you break his elbow. If he breaks your elbow, you bust his shoulder, etc. In other words you should only be able to use one step above your opponents. Hope this helps.

tug
04-12-2006, 07:58 AM
I was walking down the street one morning and three big tough-looking guys were coming the other way, dressed in loose denim. One of them either had the band of his boxer shorts clearly visible over the top of his jeans.

I wanted to show no fear, as I knew that would be fatal. I looked each of them briefly but directly in the eyes, walking with a confident, firm gait. Each met my gaze in turn.

Then they looked past me and kept walking. I did the same.

I turned the corner and went into my workplace.

THE END

Agreed. This is the true expression of ultimate intent from knowing the martial way.

BRIAN
04-12-2006, 08:36 AM
I say this with some proper backing as I have been a cop now for 5 years. When it comes to self defense, ypou can defend yourself until the threat is gone. Once you go beyond that and start to inflict your own brand of justice then you have become the primary aggressor and you are responsible for any unfiortunate outcomes.

The bottom line is simple do what you have too do in order to protect yourself or your loved one and getthe hell out of there. I have never arrested anyone for knocking some piece of sh@# out when they (the attacker) had it coming.

Just remember not to step over theline and become a bad guy or yes you will go to jail for excessive force. Even as a cop I have been in trouble for using too much force. But, it's as many of you knowalmost a natural responce in me. Finally, I will leave you with my Sifu's advice. Of course taken in moderation, "i would ratenr be on trail by 12 then carried out in a box by 6".

Brian

BRIAN
04-12-2006, 08:39 AM
I say this with some proper backing as I have been a cop now for 5 years. When it comes to self defense, you can defend yourself until the threat is gone. Once you go beyond that and start to inflict your own brand of justice then you have become the primary aggressor and you are responsible for any unfortunate outcomes.

The bottom line is simple do what you have to do in order to protect yourself or your loved one and get the hell out of there. I have never arrested anyone for knocking some piece of sh@# out when they (the attacker) had it coming.

Just remember not to step over the line and become a bad guy or yes you will go to jail for excessive force. Even as a cop I have been in trouble for using too much force. But, it's as many of you know almost a natural responce in me. Finally, I will leave you with my Sifu's advice. Of course taken in moderation, "i would rather be on trail by 12 then carried out in a box by 6".

Brian