PDA

View Full Version : Getting that flow.

Chief Fox
04-10-2006, 10:11 AM
So I had a training session at my sifu's house yesterday. I go with three other students. We warm up and stretch a bit then we review forms. After that we go through many many applications. Then we spar a bit, review forms and then maybe do some iron bone and thats about it. The whole training session lasts about 1:30 to 1:45.

Well yesterday we started talking about flow. One thing that my sifu always tells me is to loosen up, that I'm too rigid. He says that I just have to flow. I know that I've said this before but my sifu is not only great at kung fu but he is also a great musician. He plays the guitar and he was talking about Joe Satriani and how he is so familiar with his instrument that he just flows with it. He said that kung fu is the same way. You have to become so familiar with it that you can flow.

So there you have it. FLOW. How do you attain flow? Here's how I intend to approach this. First, I think that my forms have to flow. I have to become so familiar with my forms that they flow. After I achieve a bit more flow with my forms I'll take that and try to apply it in drills with a partner and on the dummy. The next step after that will be to improvise a bit and bring it to my sparring.

Any thoughts on FLOW? Do you have it? Are you working on it? Does this make any sense? Am I a complete moron?

Emeraldphoenix
04-10-2006, 10:24 AM
:eek: I highly recomend " The Last Dragon":eek:

Chief Fox
04-10-2006, 10:46 AM
That would be "GLOW"

Shonuff! :D

Judge Pen
04-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Flow can only come with comfort. You have to be comfortable with the intent and the physics of your movement. It's the same with any sport. If you know what you are supposed to do, to the point you don't think before moving, and your body is accustomed to moving effortlessly in the range-of-motion required, then your movements will "flow."

Emeraldphoenix
04-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Just couldnt resist.:D One must achieve flow before the glow.

Seriously though. Stop thinking. Thought stops the flow. Repition, over and over and over. when the movement becomes reflex without thought then you may find the flow. Then the glow:eek:

PlumDragon
04-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Comes with refined motion...
Work on what youre supposed to work on, over and over and over and over--Your brain will take care of the rest.

SPJ
04-10-2006, 06:55 PM
"flow" had several meanings for us.

1. smoothness in transition from one posture to the next.

we used to practice a very long routine such as 108 or more postures. so we broke them down into 6 or 9 segments. I was very "fluent" in each segments. Sometimes, in practice and also "performances". I forgot which segment to continue. Sometimes, I may do one segment ahead of another. As long as they "smooth" into the next segment.

2. "flow" is a higher level of understanding and "conditioning".

If we fully understand the biomechanisms or body methods of each posture, we may start to learn how to "flow" into other postures.

usually there are several moves strung together in a sequence for the purpose of change or moves and countermoves.

if we understand why and how, the intent will show.

---

:D

MasterKiller
04-10-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm workin in the flea market so early
I've been working here ever since my mama was a baby
Just because the rhythm is slow,
that don't mean that you can't flow

In the rain or in the snow,
Got the got the funky flow

All you ever need is to be nice & friendly
Remember, strike it rich The key is love
Save everybody from way up above

I can sell a bottle cap like this (I will try to sell a cap like this)

I never dreamed it would be like this
I am the number one ruler of the seven seas

The skunk over here will bring you luck
The pump over here comes with a truck
Oh yes, I had a lot of lot of fun
I made a lot of bucks and now I'm on the run

Ha ha ha, let me tell you something that I never tell you before
Listen this!

I have never sold everything, everything
You have never sold everything, everything
Money money money is all you need
Money money money is all you need

Ray Pina
04-11-2006, 06:55 AM
Flow (for me) = Stand up straight ... keep good structure .... turn off brain .... attack ... solve problem from there ...... keep structure no matter what .... position.

I don't worry about techniques anymore. I worry about structure and position. Techniques should take care of themselves. That's when I'm flowing.

sihing
04-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Flow (for me) = Stand up straight ... keep good structure .... turn of brain .... attack ... solve problem from there ...... keep structure not matter what .... position.

I don't worry about techniques anymore. I worry about structure and position. Techniques should take care of themselves. That's when I'm flowing.

This is good stuff.

Flow is related to interruptability and sensitivity. You have to have absorbed your art within you, with understanding of it also. Then your body can process what to do and how to do it when needed. Simplicity is key with flow also, if the movements are too complex or are inefficient then flow will be stifled. The mind is aware but not thinking as this process will slow you down, it's all in the subconscious.

James

SPJ
04-11-2006, 07:33 AM
there was a good analogy I was told.

when you first learn to write the Chinese characters, we are copying the character forms without knowing what they mean.

so one day we are so proficient in writing the character.

we start to learn what the character means.

and then we learn if several characters were placed together, they may mean something else.

and then we learn the whole sentence with more characters means more and sometimes beyond the literal meanings.

the poem:

"we have 2 pieces of treasures. both hands and the brain.

both hands may do work. the brain may do the thinking or planning.

use the hands without the brain, the work may not be done right (without planning).

use the brain without hands, nothing can be DONE.

use both hands and the brain, everything can be done well."

Ren You Liang Jian Bao, Shuang Shou He Da Nao.

Shuang Shou Hui Zuo Gong, Da Nao Hui Si Kao.

Yong Shou Bu Yong Nao, Gong Zuo Zuo Bu Hao.

Yong Nao Bu Yong Shou, Wan Shi Zuo Bu Dao.

Yong Shou You Yong Nao, Shi Shi Zuo De Hao.

:D

tug
04-11-2006, 08:15 AM
I'm workin in the flea market so early
I've been working here ever since my mama was a baby
Just because the rhythm is slow,
that don't mean that you can't flow

Remember, strike it rich The key is love
Save everybody from way up above

I never dreamed it would be like this
I am the number one ruler of the seven seas

The skunk over here will bring you luck
The pump over here comes with a truck
Oh yes, I had a lot of lot of fun
I made a lot of bucks and now I'm on the run

Ha ha ha, let me tell you something that I never tell you before
Listen this!