PDA

View Full Version : Practicing Certain Taijiquan Movements Xing Yi Style

taichi4eva
04-10-2006, 12:09 PM
I know that many Taijiquan practicioners usually go through form practice, but has there ever been emphasis on single movements? Right now, I'm learning the 24 form and coming from a Shaolin background, I can't get myself to do the movements naturally. So what I've done is take movements such as Grasping the Bird's Tail and going up and down the room until "it feel right." Are there any other movements I should practice?

I heard in a style called Bagua Taiji there is much emphasis on such a practice. Does anyone have more detail?

TaiChiBob
04-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Greetings..

You can begin with "catch Taiji left side", go through Peng Lu Ji An and after the push rotate right, step through (left foot forward) and catch Taiji Right Side, go through Peng Lu Ji An and repeat as necessary.. This will accustom you to 24's two-sided approach to most of the postures..

We drill every posture on both sides by repetitive drills such as you describe.. a caution about Repulse the Monkey, many people end up walking a tightrope backwards.. keep separation between the heels along your line of travel..

Occasionally, we mix and match postures within a drill.. just to feel the transitions and recognize that application doesn't always fit the choreography.. be able to switch postures in ways different from the form..

Be well..

taichi4eva
04-10-2006, 01:44 PM
It seems that Taijiquan's essence is in Grasp the Bird's Tail. I mean, all the physical part of the Thirteen Postures are there, except for the stepping. So maybe I should just practice this religiously.

I've heard of a Yang style lineage holder who practices no forms, just Grasp the Bird's Tail and Zhan Zhuang. I forgot his name. Any details?

qiphlow
04-12-2006, 03:39 PM
just practicing grasp bird's tail and standing? seems like you'd be missing out on some nice forms by doing that alone. grasp bird's tail contains 4 of the 8 energies of taiji, the other 4 are in the da lu sequence. also you miss out on the footwork by limiting your practice to practicing grasp bird's tail and standing alone. i would say learn all you can, then you can distill what you've learned to suit your preference.

jimquackenbus
04-13-2006, 09:34 PM
I have a comment on the taichi-bagua style.

I have been practicing taichi for 15 years now and only in the last 2 years developed an interest in the straight sword and staff. Very recently I started practicing bagua an xingyi. In my opinion these mixture styles should be practiced only after after deeper "understanding" of the core three styles. However Im sure a taoist would say do whatever style you want.

Three Harmonies
04-14-2006, 06:22 AM
As I understand it all movement of all style were originally done as single movements, drilled over, and over again. LAter on the masters of old put together forms linking certain series of techniques that one would mostly encounter on the street.
Not sure what you mean by the Xing Yi aspect bro? We do both in Xing Yi too, drill movements and do forms.
Cheers
Jake :)

taijihottie
04-21-2006, 12:15 AM
Isn't all martial arts practiced by repetition? We repeat every movement to isolate the technique when we first learn it. We do it too when we practice it. If you're interested in Tai Chi mixing with Bagua, you should try Sun Tai Chi!

bamboo_ leaf
04-21-2006, 09:20 PM
(So what I've done is take movements such as Grasping the Bird's Tail and going up and down the room until "it feel right." Are there any other movements I should practice)

as long as it does not become a mechanical process it should be alright. At one time yes, it is said that the postures where taught singly and then linked. But again it has to be a mindful practice. Otherwise your drilling wrong ideas into your mind and body.

I think over the yrs, it was probably found that people tended to get or develop fixed patterns of movement in the actions based on whats some times called muscle memory. Teaching postures linking them together early on is probably more conductive to the ideas of change and transition being more important then the movement itself.

Its important to realize that each taiji style is an interpretation of taiji based on famous historical figures carried on by their families. The question that you must answer is that; is it your taiji; and is your taiji congruent with what is regarded as being taiji.

If it is not, then it maybe your own art but not be recognized as taiji by others or noted experts in the field. Of course this may not be important for some.