View Full Version : Wen Wu Military Examination Records

mickey
04-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Greetings,

Do these exist anywhere?

mickey

Green Cloud
04-10-2006, 06:07 PM
When who?? sorry dude I couldn't resist;)

SPJ
04-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Wen meaning literature/politics/history/geography/weather/physics-----

There were examinations at local (Xiang Si), provincial, all the way to national level or capital (Jing Si).

If you pass them, you may hold an offical position.

Along the same vein, there are Wu or fighting/martial exams since Song dynasty.

there are 18 weapons, horseriding, weight lifting etc etc.

The first emperor of Song dynasty arose from a civilian class. Therefore, whoever that had the capability either in Wen or Wu, may also arise in "classes".

--

:D

GeneChing
04-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Apparently, more of the scholarly (wen) examination records are still archived than the military (wu) ones. I'm not exactly sure where you might go about to find them. I'll go out on a limb and guess that a lot is stored in the Forbidden City libraries. The records of all the daily activites of the more recent emporers are stored there - in fact, it's a scholarly pursuit just to plumb the depths of that library - and I imagine that the highest level of examinees interacted with the Imperial family.

mickey
04-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Thank you for your replies,

mickey

Shaolin Master
04-13-2006, 02:13 AM
I recently returned from a trip to Nanjing and in the Fuzimiao area there is a site which holds historical records on these examinations.

It was very interesting, unfortunately my interest was on Taiping Tianguo research so I did not keep much information about it.

But I do recommend a trip to Nanjing to check it out, there are many other great sites there as well.

Kind Regards
Wu Chanlong

mickey
04-13-2006, 04:35 AM
Thank you Wu Chanlong,

mickey