PDA

View Full Version : Fajing Hand Movements

Old Yang
04-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Can anyone explain to me what the Fajing hand movements are done?

I can do reasonable fajing, and I just watched the tape "Wu Style Tai Chi Chuan", by master Wang Hao Da, which features the fast form of the Wu Chuan Yau style.

How are they connected to the hip movement and root? I haven't figured out yet how the hand movements are plugged into root, so to speak.

They seem to come at the end of the movement, and seem rather abrupt. I would like to learn all about them.

imperialtaichi
04-11-2006, 06:31 AM
Hello Old Yang,

Don't think of your hands :)

Cheers,
John

Old Yang
04-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Hello Old Yang,

Don't think of your hands :)

Cheers,
John

Thanks for responding.

I think the issue I have, is that these snappy hand movements to me seem to break the flow of energy, instead of adding to them.

The inevitable conclusion is I'm doing them wrong. :)

However, these snappy hand movemements in the Wu style's fast form are the most explicit I have seen in all the styles.

Buddy
04-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Dr. Fung is right (if I may say so). Fajin is done in the body. Some martial arts talk about tun tu (hawk and spit) but this has an element of stopping and starting. Try instead, kai he (open/close) so that even at the "fa" you are already changing from yang to yin (ceaselessly, as the classic say).

imperialtaichi
04-13-2006, 04:12 AM
I think the issue I have, is that these snappy hand movements to me seem to break the flow of energy, instead of adding to them.

Hello Old Yang,

The snappy hand movements not only breaks the energy flow, but telegraph your intentions to the opponent as well. It is easy for the opponent to deflect/respond to movements and physical force (hand techniques) but a lot harder if there is nothing for them to work on. That's why when one crosses hand with a top master one cannot feel a lot of force, but somehow ended up bounced back by meters. And this is the most effective way to fajing.

After saying that, of course there is nothing wrong with setting up the opponent with flowy hand movements as long as the opponent does not know that you are setting him/her up.

Cheers,
John

Ray Pina
04-13-2006, 08:15 AM
I'm not sure of this is answering your question:

For me, what I've been training since December, is using the hip/thigh to pressoff the floor (foot: heal down) to get my entire mass moving .... the shoulder/upperback/rib shoot out the elbow .... the wrist adds biting power/speed.

This can be done without visible movement. We train to stand with our feet parrallel and vertical balance and deflect someone taking a step or two to push us.... it trains all of that.

Then you can hit and it only looks like short power, only the wrist shooting out the palm or fist.

But my master always says there's no such thing as "short power" .... there's no free lunch. Someone pays for it .... you just might not see it.