PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Cross Style Sparring

Crushing Fist
04-13-2006, 07:25 AM
I really want to get some quality sparring time in with different MA styles on a somewhat regular basis... any style and every style.

So, first does anyone know a group already doing this in the Metro ATL area?

If not, who would be interested in getting involved in this?

Oso
04-13-2006, 07:44 AM
We'd be in. I've been talking with some guys here in Asheville about getting together and training and sparring under a San Shou format.

Crushing Fist
04-14-2006, 09:49 AM
That could be cool

I've never done any san shou format sparring but I'd like to try it out.

who else?

come on Atlanta, its get busy time!

brucereiter
04-14-2006, 10:06 AM
hi,

some of the ying jow pai (eagle claw) people in midtown are training for a sanshou compitition in june and would allow you to come on saturdays around 1.30pm to spar both with san shou rules and by other agreed upon rules. some of the guys are pretty good fighters ... lots to learn by getting out of the normal surroundings.

best,

b

Crushing Fist
04-29-2006, 08:38 PM
hi,

some of the ying jow pai (eagle claw) people in midtown are training for a sanshou compitition in june and would allow you to come on saturdays around 1.30pm to spar both with san shou rules and by other agreed upon rules. some of the guys are pretty good fighters ... lots to learn by getting out of the normal surroundings.

best,

b

ok

I went down and sparred with these guys today (san shou rules) and it was a lot of fun. They are a good group and I'll definitely go back for more.

sparring with these rules really changed the game, and going against a different style with people I had never met was very interesting. They are getting ready for a tournament in clearwater florida this summer and maybe... just maybe... I might want to go too.

anyone else out there want to get some cross-style sparring going?

lets get it on!

brucereiter
04-29-2006, 08:53 PM
crushing fist,

i am glad you got somthing out of it. the sifu at that school has skills ... i think it is good to spar/push hands with as many people and styles as you can, it really helps refine what you already know and discover new things . you should go and compete in the san shao event i think it would be a great learning experience for you. i do not really like the rules for myself but ...

best,

b

Judge Pen
04-30-2006, 05:47 AM
With Oso in Asheville, Yu Shan in Nashville, me in Knoxville, and others in ATL, we should be able to organize a good sparring day. I know that Oso has been interested in getting something like this together. I know that two SD guys here would be interested in it, and I bet we could get more involved.

Oso
04-30-2006, 06:20 AM
we could either rotate cities or pick...Knoxville, I think...as central.

I've talked to Bob C. and...dangit, can't remember the other SD guy here...and both are in to it. I've been busy w/ work and a sash test (done) and a little bit of curriculum re-alignment but will be getting my San Shou rules class format together next.

sdic: the thing about 'rules' is that there is no one set that everyone is going to like. In my mind, San Shou is leading the race with Lei Tai for 'The' CMA ruleset. It is better to group together under a recognized format than to be divisive simply due to a ruleset.

I like to grab two handfuls of an opponents hair and wring his head around like a terrier w/ a rat...but nobody's gonna allow that. ;)

Crushing Fist
04-30-2006, 06:42 AM
I think that using the san shou rules made more of a game out of the sparring than it even usually is...

I mean sparring isn't fighting, we all know that

so in the context of this new "game" I found myself going for the easiest way to win i.e. ringout

this is an element of sparring which I had never used before (we don't have a ring when I usually spar, just a big open floor) but I thought it was kind of fun.

throws may look more impressive but within this game simply getting them out of the ring is just as good, and IMO far easier.

I didn't even realize that under the rules listed at sanshou.com that 2 ringouts wins the round. why bother trying to rack up points at all?

anyway, it was fun and I'm certainly up for more of the same. I have been sort of half-planning a trip to florida soon anyway, so perhaps this competition is in my cards after all.

Oso
04-30-2006, 06:53 AM
since those guys were training for a comp they needed to play with the entire ruleset..

i'd be for san shou rules minus ring out. I would not be for tweaking the rules beyond that. besides, unless we were training for a comp, we won't be counting coup anyway.

however, ring out is good for situational awareness: in a 'real' fight you need to know where the walls, curb, ditch...whatever are. Right?

Judge Pen
04-30-2006, 07:39 AM
If I knew how many were lanning to attend etc, then I could find a space. My friend's school may be a little small for more than a few, though; but we could make something work (and maybe even pull in some other styles here in Knoxville).

Scott P is the other guy's name. I saw Bob yesterday and he mentioned to me his willingness to do a sparring session with you guys, so I think I may be able to pull even more in.

Oso
04-30-2006, 09:05 AM
that's right, Scott. I talked to Bob shortly after the tournament and told him that I was going to be busy till maybe June and then I would get back with him about the san shou. I saw Scott at a restaurant and talked with him about the same thing.

but, now I have two trips to Nashville planned for June...

Judge Pen
04-30-2006, 09:32 AM
but, now I have two trips to Nashville planned for June...

My offer for you and Jim to meet half-way is a standing offer. Just let me know when.

Oso
04-30-2006, 09:34 AM
thanks...one of them is to start Lion Dance training and to do the eye opening ceremony for my new lion. so, that one needs to be there.

the other one is a Kevin B. seminar so that one is there as well.

but, we'll keep it in mind for more casual training...if there is such a thing :)

too much to learn and not enough time to learn it.

brucereiter
04-30-2006, 01:48 PM
hi guys,

i would be very interested in getting together for some sparring/push hands also. i would like to suggest that each pair sparring agree on the rules for their "go" so there would be a wider group of skills to learn from instead of limiting everyone to san shao rules. it sounds like fun.

best,

b

Oso
04-30-2006, 10:09 PM
I disagree. Any 'gathering' needs to be under one set of rules. Anything else and confusion and a greater possibility of injury will be the result.

PlumDragon
05-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Hey Guys,

I dont really know anything about "san shou" rules, but I would be interested in touching/crossing hands in a friendly environment with other amrtial artists. I enjoy working with other matial artists in an effort to learn more about other styles and how I can use mine effectively against those who dont train under my paradigms.

I occasionally visit a group of martial artists in GA and wouldnt be adverse to getting out there (or up to TN) for a weekend given proper notice...

sean_stonehart
05-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Plum Dragon & I played one Saturday at his place.

He's a quality guy & should be made to feel welcomed IMHO. He does something very few MA's tend to do nowadays in the ring. He tried to use his MA as he's learned it rather than kickbox his way through it.

PD... holler at me if you get down here for anything like this.

PlumDragon
05-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Hey Sean! =) Thanks for the kind words, was a pleasure to have you over.

Regardless of what happens with this thread, I plan on being in Atlanta in the next month or so anyway and had already planned on giving you a shout before-hand.

Talk soon. ;)