PDA

View Full Version : Weight training in gung fu

Mantis Fist
04-14-2006, 05:22 AM
What do you think about weight training in gung fu? Should do, Or should not?
I think in an internal art definatly not, but in an external yes.
What do ya think?

Chief Fox
04-14-2006, 06:16 AM
I think every person on the planet should weight train in one form or another. The intesity and power development would be a nice balance to an internal art. Also, imagine bringing internal aspects of breathing and focus to weight training and how beneficial that would be.

People don't weight train for a few reasons.
1. They think they're going to get huge. Common misconception but not true at all.
2. They think they will loose flexibility. Also a common misconception.
3. They think they're going to get hurt because they don't know what they're doing.

The only way to get huge is to consume more calories. This hugness could be in the form of muscle if you lift a lot or it could be in the form of fat if you don't. Also, weight training is very different from body building.

People's muscles get sore from weight training and they mistake this for a lack of flexibility. The key is to let your muscles heal and then keep weight training. You will probably gain flexibility.

People do get hurt because they don't know what they're doing or they push too hard too soon. Get some instruction and learn the correct way. Also start out light and slowly progress.

Everyone should weight train.

Dale Dugas
04-14-2006, 06:22 AM
I think everyone should use some form of resistance training in their workouts. Whether you lift regular weights, kettlebells, clubs, maces, or do tension sets with iron rings or bodyweight only. You need to make the tendons and ligaments stronger along with the muscles.

A big yes comes from me.

GreenCloudCLF
04-14-2006, 06:35 AM
Resistance training should be required instruction for EVERYONE NO EXCUSES. If you do not you should be wiped from the face of the planet...care of Darwin...you are not fit to be here!