PDA

View Full Version : Torn ACL

waterleopard
04-14-2006, 07:33 AM
Hello All,

I've been practicing kempo for a few years now and just tore my ACL. I'm curious to hear from anybody who has had ACL reconstruction surgery, and also from those who didn't but continued with MA training. Just wondering what I'm in for either way.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Ford Prefect
04-14-2006, 08:24 AM
I'd find the best doctor in your area, the one professional athletes would go to, and get the surgery. Jump into PT with both feet. Be extremely dilligent about doing everything they want you to.

Liokault
04-14-2006, 08:50 AM
I did my ACL and my MCL quite badly.

I didnt walk for 2 weeks, and I didnt walk unaided for a month.

The last time I went into the hospital to review a cat scan the bdoctor didnt belive that I walked in with out crutches. She said that the MCL was as badly damaged as it can get with out it being broken.

I had no treatment other than light physio.

Anyway, over two years latter, I am fighting in San Shou again and grappling on the mats like it never happend.

The only side effect is that every now and again, i'll be walking in a straight line and suddenly 'fall' about a foot to the left as my ballance (from the nearve damage) is not quite right.

I should spelll check this........but im not going to:eek:

Judge Pen
04-14-2006, 08:50 AM
I tore my ACL in July of '04. I tried to get by without surgery but it just wasn't stable enough. I had surgery in November of '04. I followed the doctor's order and hit the PT hard (home excercises and everything). By July of '05 I was 100%. My reconstructed knee is stronger than my other knee.

I know people that have torn their ACL and never had surgery. It just depnds on the individual and what you want to do with it.

Judge Pen
04-14-2006, 08:51 AM
The recoery s ucks. There will be days that you wish you had left it alone and not had the surgery. Hang in there; it will get better. Also, be up front with your doctor and your PT as to what you want to be able to do after the surgery. A good PT will tailor the therapy to include excercises and ranges of motion that will get you back to waht you were doing before.

waterleopard
04-16-2006, 06:27 AM
The only side effect is that every now and again, i'll be walking in a straight line and suddenly 'fall' about a foot to the left as my ballance (from the nearve damage) is not quite right.

Sounds a lot like an ACL tear. I go for an MRI this week and then meet with the ortho. Then it's decision time.

For those who've had the surgery, after the initial few weeks on crutches, can you get around okay walking? I know there's an extended period of PT, but can you go about doing your regular day-to-day mundane activities? Or are you still pretty much confined to inactivity for several months?

RUFNTUFGIRL
04-16-2006, 06:59 AM
Time of recovery goes fast.
Listen to this one, this was our experience. Years ago, two reconstructive surges. The main was new ligaments from a cadavor. After NINE HOURS OF SURGERY!!! We went for a follow up a week later and the xray showed one of the donated ligaments tore so they had to redo part of the surgery. Crutches and partial recovery two to three months. Had a great Dr, not his fault. Actually, NY Yankee Doc. Great guy, if you need a second opinion.

anerlich
05-01-2006, 03:43 PM
This is IMO the single best reference for an MAist you'll find anywhere:

http://www.grapplearts.com/ACL-Injury-FAQ.htm

Judge Pen
05-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Sounds a lot like an ACL tear. I go for an MRI this week and then meet with the ortho. Then it's decision time.

For those who've had the surgery, after the initial few weeks on crutches, can you get around okay walking? I know there's an extended period of PT, but can you go about doing your regular day-to-day mundane activities? Or are you still pretty much confined to inactivity for several months?

I got along fine. I could drive within a week of my ACL surgery. I had to wear a straight-leg brace for any weight bearing, but that and a cane was fine. I even went dancing with my gf at the time (now wife--I was an impressive gimpy dancer)

5 months after surgery I was back to all of my activities. I have no ill effects now (a year and 1/2 after my surgery)

Judge Pen
05-01-2006, 06:02 PM
This is IMO the single best reference for an MAist you'll find anywhere:

http://www.grapplearts.com/ACL-Injury-FAQ.htm

That's an excellent FAQ on ACL injuries. Thanks for posting that!

waterleopard
05-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Thank you, anerlich. Great link.

k-no
05-03-2006, 02:51 AM
I'm on my 7th week.

1st week is hell. You're confined to your bed. You're either wacked out from meds, or you're in some considerable pain. After being wacked out for 1 day, I endured the pain.

2nd week. Pain still there. Back at work with crutches and leg brace. Can drive (barely) when leg brace is removed.

3rd week. Pain getting better but still there. Lost the brace and crutches (doc told me not to do this till AFTER 4th week...oh well) Started PT, VERY light bike work, etc. I am walking unaided...slowly...very slowly...

4th/5th week. Pain intermittent but gradually not so bad. You'll still get in a bad position and "forget" you had the injury...till it all comes screaming back at you in a hurtful fashion. I am walking a little bit faster, I have to descend the stairs one leg at a time (bring injured leg down first, then bring down good leg to the same level quickly before too much weight gets placed on the bad leg...very slow descent), but I can ascend them one leg after the other.

5th/6th week. Pain is mostly gone and comes back mostly when I try to do too much. I still can't kneel on the one bad knee by itself...or yet I can, but it HURTS like a mofo. I have now started descending the steps normally one foot after the other one level at a time...it looks silly and gimpy, and not natural, but I appreciate the progress.

DO: Ice your leg a lot...although I was very bad with this.

DO: Take Ibuprofen with your food for the first two weeks. It REALLY helps the pain and lessens the swelling.

DO: Follow what your PT tells you.

DON'T: Try to have sex for at least a month, maybe even two. It ends up very badly...trust me. :)

k-no
05-03-2006, 03:00 AM
Oh BTW...I just started LIGHT handwork this week. I tried earlier on, but you will forget you have the injury and your footwork will assert itself...to the detriment of your pain receptors and your freshly incised knee. I don't recommend any type of Kung Fu until 5 months out...but if you're like me and if you must, work with your hands lightly first and be aware not to overdo the footwork (though this builds up bad habits). I am following some footwork for my style but I am only taking it so far until I stop the range of motion to save myself from pain and my ligament from overstretching.

k

Judge Pen
05-03-2006, 03:43 AM
DON'T: Try to have sex for at least a month, maybe even two. It ends up very badly...trust me. :)

I disagree with this one. Endorphins are good for the body's natural healing process, and chicks dig a wounded warrior. (Did I mention that I met my now wife during the recovery period?)

waterleopard
05-03-2006, 02:51 PM
k-no,

what kind of graft did you have?

k-no
05-03-2006, 03:02 PM
waterleopard: I had the hamstring graft. Oh I forgot to mention...that area hurts as well! Not anymore...but it did quite a bit. I can place my finger on my leg and easily locate where my hamstring tendons are missing. It sucks, your hamstring (hell your whole leg) gets weakened in a major way, but I guess after some PT and lots of light leg work on the weight machines, I'm supposed to be able to grow my hamstrings back like some lizard....you learn something new every day.

Judge: Hey if it's good for you...I pride myself in performance, and I can't perform very well when I'm in agony. If you're just looking to get off, SURE it's GREAT! :)

k

waterleopard
05-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks. I'm probably going to get the petellar graft in the fall. I have my medial meniscus scoped the end of June. In the meantime, I'm working out carefully. Certain things I just can't do (unless I want to crash and burn, which I don't). I'm not really experiencing any pain, so I suspect the meniscus isn't torn too badly. The main issue is stability - or instability I should say.

k-no
05-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Be aware that with the Patellar graft there is a strong possibility that low stances will be very difficult due to some pain in that range even after a full recovery. I don't favor super low kneeling stances myself (necessary evil in forms) but it is something to consider.

k

waterleopard
05-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the advice. My ortho is a big patellar guy, but I'll talk to him about it.

Did you also tear your meniscus during your injury? If so, did you have that worked on during the same surgery as the ACL? There's a part of me that just wants to get this thing over with asap, rather than wait until the fall. And to have one recovery instead of two.

k-no
05-04-2006, 12:41 AM
No I didn't tear my meniscus but it definitely had its share of trauma...my doc said they took the buzzsaw to it and ground it down till it was nice and smooth.

There's no reason for you to get two procedures. If they are going to poke holes in your leg, the only logical thing to do is to fix both problems now. I think your doc should know and suggest this as well, unless he's incredibly lazy.

Judge Pen
05-04-2006, 04:26 AM
Judge: Hey if it's good for you...I pride myself in performance, and I can't perform very well when I'm in agony. If you're just looking to get off, SURE it's GREAT! :)

Nah man, I impressed her enough to where she married me. I wasn't looking to just get off, but we did have to be creative and take certain obvious considerations into account. Practice makes perfect.

I had the patellar tendon graph. I don't know how different the experience would be with the hamstring graph. I know that my pain was localized in my knee area and it seemed worse in the patellar area. If fact long after I was back to full speed, any type of medicum contact to that area hurt like hell (which really stinks when you are taught to block incoming kicks with your legs.) It was a problem on low stances initially, but it doesn't present an issue now.

waterleopard
05-04-2006, 02:48 PM
There's no reason for you to get two procedures. If they are going to poke holes in your leg, the only logical thing to do is to fix both problems now. I think your doc should know and suggest this as well, unless he's incredibly lazy.

I called the Dr.'s office today and rescheduled both ops for the same day. One operation. One recovery. End of June.