PDA

View Full Version : old chan heung image

hskwarrior
04-14-2006, 12:57 PM
I was wondering if anyone here has seen this exact image of Chan Heung?

I was doing some net surfing and came across this one.

I'm wondering if its original, or the other black and white one is.

what you you guys think?

hsk

CLFNole
04-14-2006, 01:25 PM
I have seen a few different ones over the years. I remember a different black and white one than the one you have plus the one in color, which I believe is a painting.

I don't know how much cooperation you would get from the Chan Family if you asked but does it really matter what is older?

hskwarrior
04-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Nah, just wondering which is the most original depiction of him.

see that could be the first or oldest image, and then there's the black and white one and as you said....the colorful painting one. But this is the first time i saw the one i posted.

CLFNole
04-14-2006, 03:39 PM
I have never seen the one you have the link to, but at least all of them out there generally look the same.

extrajoseph
04-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Before the invention of photography, image of a person is often done as a charcoal drawing.

The one came across by Frank came from the Jiang Men branch and was based on an older version.

There is also a pencil copy of the original charcoal sketch.

The oil painting mentioned by CLFNole was done by one of Li Iu-Ling's students who studied fine arts in Paris, it was also based on the same charcoal sketch and that is why they all looked similar.

hskwarrior
04-19-2006, 05:17 PM
so josesph,

is the one i found "older" than the current black and white?

and, you don't have to tell me which one brother joseph, but i wanted to know if i included your school and its affiliates on my clf links site (new stuff added;) )

athttp://www.3famclflinks.zoomshare.com ........"STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION"

if you don't want your school listed thats fine, but its for the good of CLF that i'm doing it. I hope you see where i'm coming from?!

but anyways, lots of new links, and some history on both sides in chinese and some i just tried to put out the garbage translations of in english.

but i have to say, i have never seen so much CLF stuff on one site. :D

you've been gone bro joe, was your little vacation good?

hsk

extrajoseph
04-20-2006, 12:48 AM
Hi Frank,

Glaring spelling mistakes in the first 2 lines:

Chen Yong-Fa and not Chan.

John Saw and not Law.

Otherwise I know most of these sites, especially the Chen Family lineage, which more or less burrowed info from each other.

My school is not in this cos I don't have one!:D

EJ

CLFNole
04-20-2006, 07:12 AM
XJ:

Would it be Chen Yong Fa for the mandarin peeps and Chan Wing Fat for the cantonese?

extrajoseph
04-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Hi CLFNole,

No one use the Cantonese translation much any more, most scholarly work are done in Pinyin these days. Coming out from China, Master Chen would have to use a Pinyin pronunciation for his name unlike people coming out from Hong Kong, they can still use their Cantonese names.

EJ

CLFNole
04-20-2006, 10:38 AM
XJ:

I am a bit confused isn't he cantonese? He calls my sifu from time to time and I assumed they spoke cantonese although my sifu speaks mandarin (at least he thinks he does). Does he refer to himself in the mandarin or cantonese?

Just curious not that it matters much.

extrajoseph
04-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Most people from the south of mainland China can speak both Mandarin and Cantonese. Everyone speaks Mandarin in school no matter what dialect one speaks at home and that is the rule.

Fu-Pow
04-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Joseph I think I know who Yue are......;)

CLFNole
04-20-2006, 01:00 PM
That might explain a lot if he is Yu-know-who. :D or the son of .....

extrajoseph
04-20-2006, 01:44 PM
:p :D :eek:

greencloudtj
04-20-2006, 01:49 PM
cool sifu,keep your eyes open for me,and my girl and I will see you in a couple of weeks later sifu

Eddie
04-21-2006, 01:09 AM
EJ did say his real surname is Xtra in cantonese ;) .

Would it be disrespectful to ask how old Master Chen Yong Fa is? Im really impressed with his fighting " body" (sorry Im in one of those days that the right words just slip me the whole time) from what I have seen on video clips on the net.