PDA

View Full Version : TKD demo vids (kinda cool)

IronFist
04-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Found these posted on another forum:

these are south koreans:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1700753401978267207&q=taekwondo&pl=true

these are north koreans:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2838543192940808512&q=taekwondo&pl=true

These were my comments:

Koreans seem to be very proud of TaeKwonDo.

Those were cool vids. There's nothing wrong with traditional martial arts, they're just not as effective when it comes to fighting as Brazilian Jujitsu and Muay Thai Real fighting is not all pretty like martial arts forms. That being said, there are some good TKD kickers, and I think if they adapted their art to a more realistic fighting environment they could be more effective.

That demo in the second vid where the girl in the chair defends against the male attacker... I don't think so. Sorry. It's that kind of stuff that builds false confidence in female practicioners. I'm not saying a smaller female can't overpower a larger male, but it's not as likely as martial arts schools would have you think.

ingchao
04-14-2006, 07:14 PM
This is not traditional MA.
A traditional MA usually( in Karate) looks for 1 shot 1 kill (ex. In Karate we are taught that the block is the strike) There were a lot of times these guys threw 8 or 90 kicks at their partner, which goes against the above stated creedo.What this is is the current iteration of TKD for shows.( ie WuShu.) Notice the Capoiera style flip kicks.
I think a lot of these kicks would not exist if it weren't for kids trying to do stuff they saw in Tekken I or II

Old School TKD looks very similiar to Karate but w/more emphasis on kicks.

SanHeChuan
04-14-2006, 07:59 PM
ingchao

Are you saying that you have to practice one shot one kill to be traditional, because that's well just stupid. :rolleyes: And just because your school or style of karate teaches that S.H.I.T doesn't mean that is what all traditional karate is about, or TKD for that matter. :rolleyes:

And i'd put anyone of those TKD guys and Gals agianst either of you hobbiest any day. :rolleyes:

I have the least respect for TKD in the united states, but those demos where pretty impresive. :eek:

ingchao
04-14-2006, 08:41 PM
You Missed my point.

The Block is the strike means economy of motion.
The Block is designed to end the confrontation. The study of martial arts is not just to find the most efficient way to DEFEND yourself but the most efficient ways
TO LIVE YOUR LIFE.

Sorry if I offended you.

I studied TKD for a while and carry injuries from kicking that will last into my next 2 lives, the art is pretty but..( and to quote my dead father "everyone has a but")
it's only good to look at. Kinda like a woman you have good sex with, but the rest of the time it's just ugly fights over nothing.:D :rolleyes:

ingchao
04-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Beside the "boards" breaking pretty easily,Take a look at the multiple board breaks.

And Now for A revelation>>>>

Anyone who breaks boards w/spacers between them is a scam artist.

If you've ever seen a real demo the people breaking have NO SPACERS OR PENCILS OR SHIMS betwen the boards!!!!!!!! or BRICKS
or ICE(another scam). (Melting)

Think about it.

Just trying to share my experience, not start any ****e.

Pinan Brother.

metsubushi
04-14-2006, 11:51 PM
Those flip kicks are there because this is a demo, and it's meant to be entertaining and show off accuracy and such. I realize it's cool to be all elitist when something like TKD is mentioned, but why bother, those demos were cool.

TKD is not only good to look at though what a ridiculous thing to say. There are a few full contact fighters in practically every organization with TKD style kicking as a base. Even the TUF runner up Stephan Bonnar uses TKD based kicking in his matches. Hell, even Fedor Emelianenko has gotten into it.

Hieronim
04-15-2006, 12:24 AM
this is cooler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXhN-R7Tymk&search=tony%20jaa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwedwm4Tdco&search=tony%20jaa

Judge Pen
04-15-2006, 04:03 AM
The second Tony Jaa clip looks like the long-fist applications I'm learning. :eek:

MasterKiller
04-15-2006, 05:14 PM
The second Tony Jaa clip looks like the long-fist applications I'm learning. :eek:

That because Sin The' learned the form from a movie. :eek:

Judge Pen
04-15-2006, 05:48 PM
It wasn't fist of legend. Different type of hua. :D

rubthebuddha
04-15-2006, 08:48 PM
usual criticisms of tkd apply, but props to those buggers for sheer ability. 95% (probably higher) of most ma people have nowhere near that level of athleticism. one may have no need of doing a backflip and kicking something 10 feet in the air, but how many of us even have the basic physical ability to even backflip at all?

tug
04-16-2006, 04:58 AM
usual criticisms of tkd apply, but props to those buggers for sheer ability. 95% (probably higher) of most ma people have nowhere near that level of athleticism. one may have no need of doing a backflip and kicking something 10 feet in the air, but how many of us even have the basic physical ability to even backflip at all?

Yeah, no sh!t. That was cool, no matter how you classify it. It is what it is.

firepalm
04-19-2006, 12:01 AM
different the South Koreans have become from the North Koreans, it really shows how the TKD of the South (a more open country then the North) has been influenced by popular culture (movies, music videos, etc...). The South Koreans included moves that come from Capoeira, Wushu, Hong Kong movies, Anime, etc... where as the North Koreans were for the most part still conventional TKD that one could see twenty years ago (still good just not much different). Much of what the South Koreans were doing is stuff the NASKA Freestyle kids have been doing for years. All cool nonetheless and as several others have posted here, these guys are all tremendous athletes!

My two cents! :cool: