PDA

View Full Version : TKD vs Shaolin Monk (vid)

IronFist
04-15-2006, 02:13 PM
Here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=W_nCWlKm6Nc&search=wtf%20tae%20kwon%20do).

Is this real or what?

It almost looks choreographed.

SanHeChuan
04-15-2006, 02:21 PM
niether one landed thier kicks, but the monk did manage to chase the TKD guys out of the ring.

Chief Fox
04-15-2006, 02:33 PM
I've seen that video several times before and I'm less impressed each time I see it.

Yes, both fighters have great athletic ability but the attacks are so linear. I would expect a kung fu practitioner to use more angles, hand techniques and some more deceptive tatics.

Just my 2 cents.

SanHeChuan
04-15-2006, 06:06 PM
How do you get an angel on someone running back. The only thing to is run them down. He could of counter attacked though, while the TDK was coming at him.

tug
04-15-2006, 06:34 PM
I've seen that video several times before and I'm less impressed each time I see it.

Yes, both fighters have great athletic ability but the attacks are so linear. I would expect a kung fu practitioner to use more angles, hand techniques and some more deceptive tatics.

Just my 2 cents.

Agreed on all counts. It looks to me as if it may have been some form of "exhibition fight" but the "fighters" were not allowed to land any blows. Maybe it was simply a showcase of athletic ability (which was very well displayed), I don't know, but it does not look like a "fight" to me.

Either way, I haven't seen anything akin to it since I first saw it quite some time ago, so I would guess that not only was it a one time, flash in the pan, but that it may be awhile before we see anything of its like.

As Chief Fox said - just my 2 pesos.

(BTW - watched Iron Monkey again last night.) :cool:

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-15-2006, 11:34 PM
some of the dumbest **** i have ever seen.

metsubushi
04-16-2006, 01:02 AM
More than half of the video was slow motion replays of the two combinations they threw. That monk dude only threw like four moves. If people are expecting him to land a knock out blow within four attacks, it could potentially happen, but get real. It just looked like he was feeling the TKD dude out, and vice versa. It looks like they were competing under Tae Kwon Do rules so kicking was the name of the game. If your objective is to kick someone who does nothing but kick, you're in for a hell of a night.

But, that guy in the monk gear threw a "540" in a competition. That's kind of ill.

tug
04-16-2006, 04:49 AM
More than half of the video was slow motion replays of the two combinations they threw. That monk dude only threw like four moves. If people are expecting him to land a knock out blow within four attacks, it could potentially happen, but get real. It just looked like he was feeling the TKD dude out, and vice versa. It looks like they were competing under Tae Kwon Do rules so kicking was the name of the game. If your objective is to kick someone who does nothing but kick, you're in for a hell of a night.

But, that guy in the monk gear threw a "540" in a competition. That's kind of ill.

Watched it again because of what you said, and that IS kind of ill. Good call.

TuG.

gruevy
04-16-2006, 09:27 PM
That kick at the end was all kind of fun, but my favorite part of that vid is watching the monk block those roundhouse kicks. You can tell from the TKD guy's body language that he was a bit perturbed when the monk moved his hands six inches and blocked what was supposed to be a powerful kick with no apparent effort. Frikkin' snakes. Worse than cranes.

Chief Fox
04-17-2006, 07:40 AM
He could of counter attacked though, while the TDK was coming at him.

ding ding ding ding, give the man a prize. I agree, when some one is moving backwards your only option is to follow BUT when that same person is coming straight at you, this is your opportunity for an angled attack by moving to the side.

Brad
04-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Personally, it just looked like some TKD rules exhibition match with the monk just playing around with him.

GeneChing
04-17-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm amazed that all of you old timers even bothered to comment.
Here's a link to a previous posting of this on our Shaolin forum (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39920). In that thread, you'll find another link to a previous posting circa 2004.

Archives, baby. It's all in the archives. :cool:

Chief Fox
04-17-2006, 10:53 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: pwned!