PDA

View Full Version : Haikido

RUFNTUFGIRL
04-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Hapkido? I am not sure of the spelling, but what is it? What is its place in MA? A studio just opened by me.

SevenStar
04-15-2006, 06:31 PM
hapkido. It's a korean martial art that is like a mix of tkd, judo and jujutsu. As far as it's "place in ma," I'm not sure what you mean...

tug
04-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Haikido? I am not sure of the spelling, but what is it? What is its place in MA? A studio just opened by me.

There is "Aikido" or as 7* said, "Hapkido". Both are Japanese arts, and in my understanding, one internal and the other external, in that order.

Seven, can you confirm or correct?

TuG.

RUFNTUFGIRL
04-16-2006, 06:48 AM
Thank you,it is Hapkido. I meant its country of origin, which you said, is Korea. I also wasn't sure if it was mostly taught for self-defense techs., instead of the MA itself.

MasterKiller
04-16-2006, 06:53 AM
I thought Hapkido was Korean Aikido?

Ou Ji
04-16-2006, 08:44 AM
I believe Hapkido is what's seen on the Billy Jack films. Bong Soo Han plays his teacher in the second one from what I recall.

SanHeChuan
04-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Hapkido may be related to Aikido but they look nothing a like in practice.

SevenStar
04-17-2006, 08:22 AM
I thought Hapkido was Korean Aikido?

yudo is korean judo, but I've never heard of hapkido as being korean aikido. However, I've been wrong before. One of the better judo coaches in my city also teaches tkd and hapkido. And what I've seen of his hapkido is judo and tkd with some standing joint lock training. I guess principle wise, it could have a similarity to aikido, as they did talk of blending with the aggressor's force and not resisting it, but it didn't look like aikido, and judo teaches that also...

EDIT: I just looked up hapkido on wikipedia. Says there that hapkido's founder while in japan became the adopted son of sokaku takeda - daito ryu guy who also taught morihei ueshiba. So maybe it's korean aikijutsu, not aikido.

Brad
04-17-2006, 08:43 AM
I've done a bit of hapkido... It's related to Akido in some way historically. I think the founder of Hapkido suposedly studied with Ueshiba's teacher when he was his house servant. Then later added other martial arts influences.

It's got lots of locking and throwing techniques, and quite a few good kicks too. Hand striking techniques are fairly basic compared to some other styles out there, but they're fairly practical. Most of the ones I learned were taught to be used from a relaxed position... like if you're just standing around hanging out and someone decides to attack you.

Ben Gash
04-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Hapkido is in fact Korean for Aikido (indeed, just as Korean for Kiai is Kihap). As with most modern Korean arts it has a heavy Japanese influence, and the Koreans seem quite keen on "retro history", so it's true origin is probably a little debateable. In appearance, if you could imagine Yoshinkan Aikido with TKD and some weapons, you'd be about there. Many schools do a lot of stuff on "directing Ki" as well :rolleyes:

RUFNTUFGIRL
04-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Thank you, that is why I was wondering about it taught for self-defense. I thought it was instructed from a relaxed position.

taijihottie
04-21-2006, 12:27 AM
Hapkido is to Tom McLaughlin as Aikido is to Steven Seagal. :p :p

RUFNTUFGIRL
04-21-2006, 04:30 AM
That is funny!

RUFNTUFGIRL
04-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Even funnier...The owner called me today and explained Hapkido as what Steven Seagal does.
I asked the difference and he said he instructs TKD and teaches Hapkido for self defense in a combat form. I don't know when TKD came into the equation?

SanHeChuan
04-24-2006, 09:03 PM
Hapkido - Training (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8VlNv9OR8o)

Hephaestus
04-24-2006, 10:25 PM
Hapkido and Aikido. Where to begin? It is indeed true that the Chinese script for both arts is the same, though they developed independently of eachother during a point in which there was some sort of trade ban between Korea and Japan. One branch, upon discovering that there was a style in Japan which shared its written named, changed its name to simply Kido, but you don't see that term around very often.

Aikido and Hapkido both stem from Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu, and the same teacher. Just how GM Choi learned aikijujutsu is a matter of some debate, but he did indeed learn it, though his footwork was very different (some have theorized that he learned the art by watching only, and that the students' hakamas concealed view of the footwork, though this theory is iffy).

Choi's students added movements from Taekkyon (Korean folk-MA) including more footwork and an extensive array of kicking techniques. Taekkyon was also one of the sources for TKD's kicks. While TKD went bouncy and flashy with their kicks, most of Hapkido's "trademark" leg techniques are very hard-hitting, though somewhat telegraphed, emphasising full-body power (though many still sorely lacking any sort of root). Most Hapkido people show off with their tumbling and breakfalls rather than their kicks.

After some extensive politicking between branches, what you see today in Korea and some schools in the west (the ones who don't just use it as a supplement for their TKD) can vary, but is pretty distinct if you know what you're looking for. Most branches still bear a strong resemblance to Aikijujutsu, but only the IHF (Korea's IHF, not to be confused with Bong Soo Han's IHF) defensive method (Hankido) bears any resemblance to Aikido, as our founder GM Myung Jae Nam was highly accomplished in both Hapkido and Aikido. The Hankido method looks a lot like Aikido, but the power generation is very different. They're even more hardcore about full body kicks and punches, and all techniques involve circular force.

Hope that helped.