PDA

View Full Version : deadly mantis

jethro
04-16-2006, 01:59 PM
watched this this weekend along with mad monkey kung fu. I still can't decide which one I like more. Operation Scorpio was the 3rd I saw and that was a serious sleeper, I think bolo's son is in this, at least he's the only chinese movie star I've seen who comes close to bolo.

But while deadly mantis was a masterpiece, lau actually stars in MMKF and really shines along with his co-stars little monkey and pai mei. The version I have was 109 minutes distributed by red sun in a 16:9 format and crystal clear picture.

Now the question I pose is could lau kar leung really fight against like big superfast superkickers like this scoprion guy in real life. I know thta he most likely couldn't, but his movements just look so perfect I do think he would have a chance. What is your opinion? Do you think that little old man can woop some ass in real life, cause I think even at like 70 he could go with pretty much anybody.

Jimbo
04-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Lau Kar-Leung is a real-life Hung Gar master, I think he's been training probably more than six decades. While I seriously doubt he would win in a sporting competition match against a kicker like Kim Won-Jun (the kicker in Operation Scorpio), in real life, who knows (esp. if we got both of them together with both at their peak ages). In that case i would probably bet on the guy who uses more hands and lower kicks, like Lau. Then it would also depend where they are...in a bar? On an icy road? On an empty football field? In a crowded hallway? In a car?

Of course, you can't usually tell how someone could really fight from the movies, but given his reputation in Hong Kong, I would assume Lau can do the business.

jethro
04-16-2006, 09:45 PM
hey I think you are the one that told me about operation scoprpioand I am the 1st one to review it on amazon!!!

What other movies is that scorpion guy in? Any good ones?

I agree with you on master lau, and that young guy can kick real high, but that doesn't equal success in say the ring or in a street fight. But he can kick incredibly fast and looks like he had some serious power, so anyone would prbably have their hands full. So I would have to take the lau from M monkey KF and the scorpion guy would probably win, but it would be really cool to see. And eel style was nice from bolo's son's friend in the movie.

And you didn't even comment on deadly mantis, I thought that thing was sweet and I have NEVER liked david chiang but his mantis style is truely an inspiration to me. I know that can't have been how the style was learned, but it was almost believable and movie wise was awesome. It doesn't beat snake in monkey's ahdow though:D

Jimbo
04-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Oh, yeah, the version I saw was called Shaolin Mantis. I liked the movie but only like David Chiang in some movies, this one included. Of course, being a Lau Kar-Leung-directed movie and a Shaw Bro's film, it's a classic.

I haven't seen Kim Won-Jun (the guy who played the Scorpion-style guy) in any other films. As far as I know, Operation Scorpio was his only film (or his only Chinese film). I thought I heard somewhere that he died, but can't be certain.
He's definitely an acrobatic Taekwondo man who may have also had some wushu training.

metsubushi
04-19-2006, 01:24 AM
Oh, yeah, the version I saw was called Shaolin Mantis. I liked the movie but only like David Chiang in some movies, this one included. Of course, being a Lau Kar-Leung-directed movie and a Shaw Bro's film, it's a classic.

I haven't seen Kim Won-Jun (the guy who played the Scorpion-style guy) in any other films. As far as I know, Operation Scorpio was his only film (or his only Chinese film). I thought I heard somewhere that he died, but can't be certain.
He's definitely an acrobatic Taekwondo man who may have also had some wushu training.

Kim Won Jun is still alive and working in Korea. He was in an Aaron Kwok movie a few years back. He was also in a small HK movie called Women on the Run or something like that.

jethro
04-19-2006, 03:01 PM
glad you have seen shaolin mantis, was shaolin invloved in this, maybe they were. The story wasn't the greratest, the fighing could have been done a tad bit better. But all the final stages chiang has to go through with his girlfriend's momm li li li:D :Dwere fun, and the girlfriend was not the hottest girl or not the best fighter liek a mainland wushu girl, but the love story itself I thought was beautiful, for around a half an hour, I actually though I was wathing a real movie and kind of forgot that I watch these just to see the next fight. And I didn't bring this movie up for nothing, it is a great overall movie, right up there and maybe better than shaolin challenges ninja, it's hard to say but chiang was the shiht in this one. The final battles against wilson tong, norman chu, and the final pipe fight with lau wing were :eek: :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :p , it is truly one of the best movies I have ever seen.