PDA

View Full Version : Questions on drills

taichi4eva
04-18-2006, 12:32 AM
I know that in Shotokan Karate, their practice is centered on three components- kihon (basics), kata (forms), and kumite (sparring). Now I was wondering what were some good drills to do alone or with a partner. Here's what I've thought up of so far:

Single person drills (do these up and down the room)
- Horse stance punch
- Up block and horse stance punch (Draw the Bow to Shoot the Tiger)
- Reverse punch in bow and arrow stance
- Block down and punch in bow and arrow stance
- Outside to inside block and punch in bow and arrow stance
- Inside to outside block and punch in bow and arrow stance
- Up block and punch in bow and arrow stance
- Cat stance and punch in bow and arrow stance
- Hammering
- Cutting

Partner drills
San Xing Chui (Three Star Striking)
- Using the forearms, down block, inside to outside block, then down block again.
Pulling
- Pull the other person’s wrist. Cross hand.
Roundhouse kicking
- Each person folds their arms. Use a roundhouse kick to strike each other.

Can anyone add on to this list? I wanted to add another dynamic to my training. Thank you.

mantis108
04-18-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi Taichi4eva,

Allow me to share my opinion on this interesting subject.

Japanese Karate regardless of style came from Okinawan Te which essentially is based on the Kung Fu blue print. But Japan Karate in general is more modernize and argueably innovative; while Okinawan Te is more inclined to stick with tradition. This is why we can look at Okinawan Te and see a remarkable resemblance to the structure of Kung Fu.

Now Kung Fu in my definition is not necessarily equivalent to Wushu (traditional or otherwise.) This is not intended to slight Wushu. This is just try to establish that Kung Fu is a sysyem on to its own.

Time wise, Kung Fu as a system emerges around Song dynasty (960 - 1279 CE). Traditional Wushu such as Shuai Jiao, battle field weaponry, etc... would have been existed long before that. So in a way, Kung Fu is a systemized training of martial arts that includes hand to hand combat, weaponry and special knowledge (ie medical, military, shamanistic, Buddhist, Daoist, etc...) Later in Ming dynasty (1368-1644 CE) Southern Shaolin Kung Fu as a method emerges and mirgated to the North and along the eastern coastline. During Qing dynasty (1644-1911 CE) Kung Fu system flourished and new systems bloomed like wild flower. Amongst these "new comers", there is the Fujian Baihe (White Crane) which is my mind is one of the most innovative methods in the history of Kung Fu.

Although Fujian Baihe is innovative, it did not break away from tradition. It retains in general the whole structure of "southern Shaolin Kung Fu" which many of the Kung Fu styles (both north and south), and Karate (traditional and modern) still adhere to even today. What changed or rather lost is the special knowledge. The original message is no more intact. It has been substitued by just about anything but the classica Chinese civil education that once governed the development of Kung Fu. But that can't be help since the standard and model of education have changed.

Sorry about the long introdution but it's sets up the answers to the development of drills which are progress in the Kung Fu structure. Drills in Kung Fu are designed not only as physical challenge. There are also mental and emotional challenges to hone the stylist. It is truely the 3 battles (San Zhan). In a well designed system, there is a thread that link through the following aspects that form the physcial core of the Pugilistic system (Quan Fa):

Giban Gong - kihon (basics)

Taolu - kata (forms)

Shou Fa or San Da - kumite (sparring)

Giban Gong once upon a time was regarded as the most crucial and the time spent on that was the most. These days people don't spent that much time on them.

Single person drill (Dan Jiao) can include style specific or more generic combinations. It can serves as cardio and coordination training. Try some of the solo footwork drills from mantis. They are pretty dynamic.

The partnered 3 star block (Jia San Xing) in Northern Mantis is known as Kao Da (lean strikes). There are stationary and mobile drills of this and can be done in a line or in circles. It could be think of as mirror drills where both partners are doing the same moves mirrorring each other. The forces will be cancelled out. Kao Da came from old southern training method of Fanziquan IMHO. Then there are the shadow drills where each partner has 3 moves combo that counter each one in different orders. Usually, they are one or two moves behind each other; hence, shadowing. There are plenty more different drills.

You might also want to try some solo and partnered strength training drills such as Shuai Pa Hu (a cross between sprawling and puch up). Stone key lock or rice bag throwing. This area enhances the others especially when it comes to the Shuai (throws and takedowns) element and handling heavy weapons.

Forms are intermediatery of the other 2 and you can stay in that for a long time to come. It contains most if not all of the system's special knowledge. In the case of mantis, you have the Giban Gong that polished the moves in the forms even before you come to practice the forms.

Shou Fa or sparring, this is the most misunderstood part of TCMA. I think the easier explanation would be that it is a progressive process. In western terminology, there are one-step drills, option drills, interactive drills, and game drills that lead to sparring. Most Kung Fu styles have them. The idea is to introduce, isolate and intergrate a practical skill and technique set.

Anyway, some thoughts to share for now. :)

Warm regards

Mantis108

WinterPalm
04-21-2006, 11:45 AM
For partner stuff, aside from drilling basics you can always work on self-defense, attack defend counter scenarios. I find this to be a huge part of partner practice. Understanding your system's approach to fighting, where to move, judging the intent and commitment of the opponent, and executing techniques from forms (kata) and putting them against more and more resistive force (light punching working towards full out trying to take your head off)...one benefit of this is that someone on the street might not throw a super commited ko punch but a jab or poke and you should not over react and must ingrain that as well.