PDA

View Full Version : Going Filipino...

william
04-18-2006, 12:48 AM
Due to Wing Chun training ceasing in my area I am left two options: travel about 35 miles to the next nearest class, or begin training in Filipino arts, as there is a fairly large school just down the road.

I love training in Wing Chun, and I feel it is something that, if I left, I would definitely come back to (I expect to move in about 3 and a half years, to a place where wing chun is plentiful, so will definitely take it up) as I have only scratched the surface (about 1.5 years training).

A seventy mile round trip is a long way to go, especially if I want to start training twice a week. I have always fancied the Escrima, so I am going to go down there and give it a shot tomorrow evening. I guess if it is no good I will go seek out the wing chun.

But just wandering, anyone else gone Filipino? Or cross trains in it to complement wing chun,

Are there any comments on the empty hand system, how it compares to wing chun?

Advice?

Cheers

W

AdrianUK
04-18-2006, 01:15 AM
Hi

I did a lot of Wing Chun and escrima, still do the escrima and it blends well, the filipino empty hand is more boxing but the trapping elements are very wing chun like, whats the escrima lineage you are looking at ?

Regards,
Adrian

william
04-18-2006, 01:51 AM
Hi Adrian,

I think it is Doce Pares Eskrima, ring any bells?

W

Paul T England
04-18-2006, 03:24 AM
Hi William,

Where abouts in the UK are you? Which Eskrima club are you going to try?

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

AdrianUK
04-18-2006, 04:16 AM
Hi William

Yeah I know Doce Pares, a respected style especially if you get to train with Danny Guba, though some of the instructors qualified in a 1 week intensive course:rolleyes: . Hope you enjoy it !

Regards,
Adrian

william
04-18-2006, 05:16 AM
Dear Paul,

I am based down in Plymouth, the instructor at the school trains under Grandmaster Ciriaco 'Cacoy' Canete.

Although all this means nothing to me until I go down there tomorrow!

W

Paul T England
04-19-2006, 01:58 AM
Hi,

I hope you will let us know what you think of the eskrima form a wing chun viewpoint (Good and bad!)

I am a student of GM Danny Guba.

Paul

lawrenceofidaho
04-19-2006, 10:57 AM
For about 10 years I trained exclusively in Wing Chun and Escrima. The ratio of time spent was about 75% Wing Chun and 25% Escrima. -Looking back, I think I might have been better off having spent a bit less time doing chi-sau and a bit more time doing Escrima sparring and "live" Escrima drills.......

Escrima helped give me good insights into timing, rythm, use of range, transitioning, and using my eyes, which I did not get to the same degree from Wing Chun.

As long as it is not taught in a dead or robotic way (which unfortunately, some schools do) Escrima is an excellent complement to almost any art.

russellsherry
04-23-2006, 06:11 PM
hi all , escrima or arnis is one of the few arts that do not interfere, with wing chun, i triain with guro roland dantes best student in australia although i am olny a begainer, in arnis it is a pratical martial art hope you enjoy it peace russellsherry