PDA

View Full Version : grappling

BruceSteveRoy
04-19-2006, 05:38 AM
Forgive my ignorance but i was wondering are there any Grappling styles iN CMA other than Shuai Chiao? Or any styles that incoporate grappling effectively?

MasterKiller
04-19-2006, 06:24 AM
Here is what you do. Study CMA for 10 years. Then, find a BJJ/Judo school and study there for a couple of years. VOILA...your CMA now has effective grappling.

BruceSteveRoy
04-19-2006, 06:54 AM
i wrestled for a decade and then switched to judo for a few years then did aikido for a few years before finding a place in the wonderful world of kungfu. I was really just curious to see if any of the Cma styles use grappling.

paradoxbox
04-19-2006, 09:13 AM
I don't know much about CMA but there are a large number of CMA's with grappling. For example, from reading the Chan Tai San story thread you can hazard a guess that Lama Pai has grappling in it.

I couldn't name you all the others that have grappling within them but there are a lot. It's actually not uncommon at all.

SevenStar
04-19-2006, 09:30 AM
he's not asking how many systems have it though, he's asking how many train you to use it effectively. Judo will teach you strikes, but it will not make you an effective striker.

Three Harmonies
04-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Grappling is a part of EVERY martial system regardless of origin. Unfortunatley much has been lost over the years because teachers did not teach it, do not know it, or do not like it (again they would not teach it if they did not like it!).
Bruce I would suggest looking at the topic from a different angle, as the systems have the grappling, but finding the right teacher to teach it to you is another thing! I spent many years with teachers claiming grappling was not part of certain systems so I had to supplement my training with stuff like Judo and what not. Thankfully I met both of my teachers (Hu Xi Lin & Tim Cartmell) who are both grappling experts, and they opened my eyes to the realities of combat.
Hope this helped.
Cheers
Jake :)

Ray Pina
04-19-2006, 10:10 AM
In E-Chuan, we definitely don't claim grappling as our specialty ... that's BJJ and Judo's business. But we definitely understand structuure, position and leverage.

Back in the late 70s and 80s my master used to say, if you can pick him up, you don't have to slam him down, just take the money, you win. Then he thought, "If I can fight well standing, why can't I fight on the ground?"

My master also studied Judo for a while in his 30s while training Ba Gua and Hsing-I, he also trained with some dude called "The God of Locks" in China, he was the bodyguard for the brother-in-law of some big politician who literally had a license to sell opium.

He took that experience and spent 20 years developing his ground game. About 4 or 5 years ago a memeber of the Gracie school started training with us and gave us an opportunity to test the stuff out on the latest and greatest.

My master doesn't like the ground, but I admit, I enjoy it. In one-on-one fights I think its a fantastic place to finish ... most guys can not strike well from down there, and I believe the leverages I learned in Hsing-I helps buy me time when someone is attempting a lock. I don't need to beat them, just foil their attempt so I can change position and wait for my moment.

So I would say that E-Chuan has a ground game, though it's founder does not promote it. At the same time we are aware that we are a new style (developed from years of my master's experience) and like to test ourselves against what's current, and that definitely includes BJJ. I have so much respect for them. Can't wait to cheer Royce on in a few weeks.

Shaolinlueb
04-19-2006, 10:10 AM
we have "grappling moves" in the stuff we do. but we are kung fu and not a grappling schools. ankle locks, arm bars, mounts and such. a good teacher will know a lot of it i figure. to say kung fu doesnt involve grappling or any type of grappling i think is ignorent and wrong.

wiz cool c
04-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Tai Chi and Ba Gua have alot of stand up grappling but it is usally hard to get kung fu guys to ingage in it. In my school The Wu Tang Physical cultural center in NYC there are two of us who train hard stand up grappling reguarly. The rest of the guys just do forms some box once in a while. The Ba Gua has a form of sparring called rou shou which lets you do open hand strikes sweeps throws and take downs. And Tai Chi has diffrent types of push hands. Some allow sweeps most just sticking and uprooting or off balancing you opponent.