PDA

View Full Version : Military Hsing Yi

taichi4eva
04-21-2006, 01:27 AM
Quick question...I was wondering in Huang Bo Nian's book on Hsing Yi that he wrote during the Republican period, there were such topics covered:

- Five Elements
- Linking Set
- Saber Movements
- Bayonnet Movements (derived from Hsing Yi spear)

I want to know whether or not in the book, if there is a linking set, or is it just singular movements, with the five elements being applied to the saber.

Thank you.

stma
04-21-2006, 07:24 AM
Single movements. The book's been translated into English. Do a google for Dennis Rovere.

taichi4eva
04-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Thank you.

Sounds interesting, because the Hsing Yi Saber forms that I've seen are performed with a regular dao, and not one with a two hand guard.

GeneChing
04-21-2006, 01:00 PM
I published an article Xingyi’s Dadao: The Lost Legacy of the Big Blade Troop in our March April 2006 issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=646). Dennis Rovere responded with a very helpful critique of my article which we are publishing in our upcoming July August 2006 issue. You'll have to check it out (http://www.martialartsmart.net/19341.html). ;)

SPJ
04-21-2006, 05:49 PM
It is an excellent article.

I heard the story about Da Dao Dui many and many times.

They fought at the Great walls, near Beijing and then Shanghai.

:)

Tingjid
04-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Yeah I have to say that article was very well done and the applications were really interesting, added a lot to the whole article. Made me want to learn some Da Dao, showed how they really trained to combat Japanese styles, and like you said in the article, it really is surprising that a weapon so commonly used in actuality isn't used in common martial arts all that frequently.

Anyway, I guess I just felt like saying thanks for the interesting articles that give me something to think about while I'm doing mindless tasks at work :D

EDIT: That's cool dude did a critique on it and cooler that you guys are publishing it, I'll look forward to it, I've temporarily misplaced my current issue (i.e. my car may have eaten it) so I'm really looking forward to the next one.