PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dwid is an RN

dwid
04-21-2006, 12:20 PM
So it's official. I just got my test results about 2 hours ago. I am now a registered nurse.
May all tremble who find themselves in my care:D

Rockwood
04-21-2006, 03:24 PM
COngrats Dwid,

That's great news. HOpe you offer care with compassion and don't burn out from those who would take advantage.

If I recall correctly, don't you practice the Gong Hua Baguazhang?

-Jess O

jethro
04-21-2006, 07:02 PM
are you really an rn? maybe it stands for renegade numbchucker.

Dale Dugas
04-22-2006, 04:19 AM
DWID,

Congrats brother. I have recently put in my app for an RN program here in the Boston area. Ill be there soon enough brother.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-22-2006, 07:10 AM
nice dude.

sick people everywhere will be delighted!

BM2
04-22-2006, 07:32 AM
I have the upmost respect for those who chose to help others. I was in the hospital last year and it made me look at myself in how I could I be more like the ones who were so caring.

SevenStar
04-22-2006, 11:46 AM
congrats, man!

dwid
04-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks everyone for the support.

It's been tough at times, and the exam was the hardest test I have ever taken, including GRE's, etc... I seriously thought I had tanked when I left the testing center, I felt sick the rest of the day. From what I've heard from the others in my program, I think everybody feels the same way when they finish the test. It's designed that way, kind of.

In the program I'm in, I'll be taking my boards to become a nurse practitioner in another year, so there's another hurdle. Thankfully I've got some time between now and then, though.

Rockwood>> Yeah, I practice Guang Hua Bagua, but not nearly as often as I should since starting this program.

Ben Gash
04-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Congratulations, now you have a lifetime of messed up sleep patterns, performance anxiety, looking over your shoulder and random assaults from the general public to look forwards to ;) :rolleyes:
Man, I've done this job for WAY too long. Still, I get to practice my Chin Na a lot......

dwid
04-24-2006, 06:23 AM
Congratulations, now you have a lifetime of messed up sleep patterns, performance anxiety, looking over your shoulder and random assaults from the general public to look forwards to ;) :rolleyes:
Man, I've done this job for WAY too long. Still, I get to practice my Chin Na a lot......

Nah, I've got maybe a year of that stuff. Then I'll be an nurse practitioner, which may require a lot of work, but will likely involve a more regular schedule, putting up with less BS, and better pay (maybe) :D

Plus, my area is psychiatric nursing, so I have different types of physical threats to worry about, but perhaps more predictably so.

BruceSteveRoy
04-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Congrats DWID. As for Psych nursing, i was a counselor at a residential psych facility for adolescents for a few years and i will say that the nurses have it pretty good there (except dealing with ppl that have Hypochondriasis and need to see a Dr./Nurse every 20 minutes).

dwid
04-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Yeah, even with inpatient psychiatric care with acutely ill people, it's often really not all that bad. It's about finding a place where the environment is therapeutic and the nurses are really interested in helping the patients. Occasionally, you will get a patient with what I would describe as a toxic personality, who can have an effect on the entire unit environment, but that is not the norm in my experience.