PDA

View Full Version : Dahn Yoga/Tai Chi

Royal Dragon
04-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Hee, heee, heee!!!!

I just checked this place out! VERY coool!

They are now also teaching something called Dahn Mu Do...but there is no self defence taught?

They can't demo even the first 8 moves of thier Tai Chi, and after pressing them, and siteng the actualy Tai Chi history to them, they couldn't tell me which branch of Tai Chi it is that they teach.

In the end, they admited to me that they didn't teach Tai Chi at all, but some sort of korean energy/health system. They said "If we put that on the sign, no one would know what it was, and not come in the door"

I replied, "So, let me get this straight, you don't teach Tai Chi, because you don't know Tai Chi. You teach some sort of korean health system that has no connection to Tai Chi at all, but you put "Tai Chi" in huge red letters above your door? [instert Dramatic pause] So basically, you LIED!?"

And yes, thier were students within earshot.

Anyone else have any experiance with these Dahn Yoga/Tai Chi people?

mantis108
04-23-2006, 03:55 PM
The Korean flag is a Tai Chi (they have a name for that symbol, I don't have it off hand) and 4 of the 8 trigrams. They should have at least know that right? :confused:

So if they want to say they have Tai Chi and their MA is more than 10,000 years old, well you bettter believe it, my friend. :D

BTW, if you ask Taoist Tai Chi people about Tai Chi history and theory, majority of them can't answer you either but people still sign up like bees found flowers. :eek: Oh, well it the age of chi blast and cardio kick boxing. What can we expect?!

Mantis108

Fu-Pow
04-23-2006, 04:07 PM
Sounds like Chung Moo Do/Oom Yung Do

www.oomyungdoe.com

Royal Dragon
04-23-2006, 05:44 PM
LOL!!! I'm like the FOUNDER of the Anti OYD movement!

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oomyungdoe_discuss/messages?o=1

yangyang
04-26-2006, 07:32 AM
You are 100% correct about Dahn yoga/tai chi. They are a yuppie-like cult. Even serious Yoga people don't practice there.:D

taijihottie
05-06-2006, 07:08 PM
I see their flyers at a lot of local restaurants. I thought it was jsut some local deal. Are they big?

mantid1
05-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Check out the pic on the chung mo do home page from the link.

At the bottom of the pic with the guy doing a flying side kick it has a little arrow with the words "corner of roof". Yeah this guy can jump up 18 feet and do a kick. If he can it will come in handy against that rare 18 foot tall attacker.

Chung moo do has a few schools in my area. As of two years ago they were charging $5000 a year for tuition. This info comes from a young lady who came to my school because her chung moo do contract wa about up and she thought she may be paying to much. I said "at least your testing is included in that" (trying to make her feel better) and she said "no testing is $100 for a group test" I think she said the "black belt" test was some crazy price.

She brought up five of her friends and I gave them a private class. They all loved it and could not understand how it was so different. They did not join because they would have an hour drive to get to my school.

The one young lady demonstrated one of the chung moo do "ba gua" forms.

:o :confused: :eek: :( :rolleyes: - you have to add in the Homer Simpson sound effects to
understand how I really felt about the form.

That is all I can say about that