PDA

View Full Version : OT: Million Dollar Baby

SPJ
02-28-2005, 09:30 AM
I like to the movie. I dun like the ending.

A 30 year old waitress turned boxer.

It landed best actress, best director, actor in supporting role and best film.

Ziyi Zhang was shining or stunning as usual.

Christ as the host was quite tame with his humors.

--

:cool:

Mo Lung
02-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Wow, Christ hosted the Oscars? Not the second coming most Christians were expecting, I bet.

I saw Million Dollar baby at the weekend. Good movie. Went in a direction I totally didn't expect.

SPJ
02-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Surplus turned into trillion dollar deficit.

Banana Republic did not have or make so and so textile.

"White house said leave the monologue to Hollywood."

--

Last 4 years, Jude Law was in every movie.

--

:rolleyes:

SPJ
02-28-2005, 03:13 PM
Cool attach of Zhang's pic's.

She had to study and learn from a blind people for months to act, move and eat like a blind girl.

The choreograph with ribbons takes time, too.

She chose his movies for acting.

She will have bright future in the movie circle.

:)

mickey
02-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Speaking of Right Wing Censorship,

Did anyone notice during the In Memoriam segment how they volume downed the thunderous applause for the late Ossie Davis? The audience response was very strong for the first second and then they hushed it. They tried to cover by doing the same to the ones that immediately followed, but I witnessed the "deed."

mickey

mickey
02-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Hello wolfen,

The music that YoYo Ma played functioned as a divertimento. It was perfectly appropriate if the audience "drowned it out" so to speak. Allow for the emotion to be shared with the TV audience. It was never a problem before. They did not mute the applause for Marlon Brando. Additionally, that segment is usually arranged in the order that the stars passed on. This is the first time they did not do that. Brando was not the last to kick. I think it was Ossie Davis-- I could be wrong. I simply prefer to hear each one receive his/her ovation. The muting should not have been done. And I still would have enjoyed YoYo Ma's playing. He played well.

mickey

mickey
02-28-2005, 06:27 PM
Hi wolfen,

I did not see it as a matter of race, but a matter of right wing censorship. Ossie Davis was considered a staunch Leftist, known as much for his public views and stands on public matters as he was known for his acting, which was also pretty good. I felt it was more of a political thing, without the racism. And that was sad. Brando also did his share of activism, by the way.

YoYo Ma played the piece well. It was well timed as you have stated. The piece was dark, mysterious, teeming with hallowed effulgence. The piece and the way he played it allowed for the emotions to ebb and flow. It was beautiful.

Can you imagine the mind of YoYo Ma?: "Schlitz, these uncouth flucks are clapping through my playing. Fluck all of them! Fluck them all!!!(Sniff, Sniff)" He did seem a little annoyed. :)

mickey

mickey
03-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Hi wolfen,

Yo Yo Ma is not low class whatsoever. I don't think he was expecting such a response. If anything, it may have further inspired his playing. I was just having fun.

mickey

Oso
04-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Ok, I know this has been out and there has probably been discussion on it but I had one question.

Would a boxer like the East German woman that she fought at the end have actually still been boxing given all the obvious illegal crap she was pulling?

I don't really follow boxing but it seems as if a pro boxer who fought like that would have been thrown out of boxing quick.

I thought it was a great movie and was really affected by the turn of events. Sad and unfair.

Chief Fox
04-24-2006, 10:56 AM
I thought it was a great movie. Sad, funny and inspirational. Morgan Freeman's character is awesome.

As far as the illegal crap goes. I think that maybe some of that stuff would go overlooked seeing how boxing is a contact sport and the ref can't see everything. Also, maybe because it was female boxers, maybe some of the officials weren't as professional or as experienced as they should be. Take a look at K1. Specifically Bob Sapp. That dude got away with some crazy sh!t. Why did they put up with it? The guy sold tickets.

SPJ
04-24-2006, 11:23 AM
It is a very sad and saaaaaaad story.

A waitress beated all odds and found herself a good thing that she enjoyed and good at.

An accident happened.

She gave up all hopes to live and tried to end her life.

It was a roller coaster ride of emotions, wills --

---

This is sort of reminding me of Christ Reeve. the superman had fell from a horse ride and paralyzed neck down.

the wife and the family took care of him. He inspired the whole nation and the world. He raised a lot of money for stem cell research to help recovery of spinal cord injury.

I think there is a research building named after him at Univ California, Irvine.

---

Sad.

:(

dwid
04-24-2006, 12:03 PM
The movie is based on a story from the short story collection "Rope Burns," I believe. The author is a guy who worked extensively with boxers throughout his career. That said, who knows how much artistic license he took with this story, or how much license was taken in adapting it. I would be inclined to believe that the enforcement of rules varies by level of competition (publicity) and venue. In the end, the realism doesn't really matter all that much, as it was a really good story regardless.

This is sort of reminding me of Christ Reeve. the superman had fell from a horse ride and paralyzed neck down.

the wife and the family took care of him. He inspired the whole nation and the world. He raised a lot of money for stem cell research to help recovery of spinal cord injury.

I think there is a research building named after him at Univ California, Irvine.

Yeah, Reeves was a pretty inspiring guy. He spoke at my wife's graduation from Ohio State, and it was the best graduation speech I've ever been party to. He talked a lot about becoming a self-aware person, the importance of introspection and knowing yourself. It was a lot more spiritually oriented speech than I expected, but not at all preachy.

Oso
04-24-2006, 12:41 PM
perhaps I am picking the story apart too much...but, they showed what I took to be 'news footage' from the woman's other fights and if so, then her deeds were on film for the ''Boxing Commission" to see. If I remember correctly, it was billed as a WBA title fight.

Like I said, I was definitely affected by the story line and the tragedy. I felt like in real life it wouldn't have happened that way because a dangerous fighter like that wouldn't be allowed to stay in pro boxing.

Ray Pina
04-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Everyone saw Tyson's bite .... and he fought again. Enough said. It's a fighting racket, not an audition for the Mickey Mouse Club.

Oso
04-24-2006, 02:16 PM
naw, I don't think so, Ray. Tyson's bite was just another illustration of his immaturity. Personally, I don't think he should have been allowed to fight again either.

The way they portrayed the East German woman in the film, and the way Freeman's character discribed her actions as 'might kill someone' pretty much said that she was dangerous...sure it hyped the story but are there really any boxer's doing stuff that outrageous and continuing to box beyond the first few warnings/fines?

SevenStar
04-25-2006, 12:22 AM
in reality, her license woulda been suspended or revoked. Of course, that doesn't mean that it would never be reinstated. Also, she may have been able to fight in other states, if they didn't honor the revocation of the state she was banned in. She may also have been able to box overseas.

Oso
04-25-2006, 03:34 AM
makes sense. they didn't go in to what happened to her after the hit after the bell. hopefully something like that would have been counted against a real fighter.

It just clicked, this movie was like reading "Old Yeller" as a kid.

Judge Pen
04-25-2006, 04:42 AM
makes sense. they didn't go in to what happened to her after the hit after the bell. hopefully something like that would have been counted against a real fighter.

It just clicked, this movie was like reading "Old Yeller" as a kid.

I'm behind on my movies, but this one is one that I need to see. I assume that artistic license is the norm for boxing movies. Take Cinderella Man; after watching the movie version of the fight between Baer and Braddock, then the real fight was boring and tame. Not as much drama going on there as the movie depicted. Its the emotional impact the directors are going for. The reality is mallable.

Cobra Commander
05-09-2006, 08:02 AM
perhaps I am picking the story apart too much...but, they showed what I took to be 'news footage' from the woman's other fights and if so, then her deeds were on film for the ''Boxing Commission" to see. If I remember correctly, it was billed as a WBA title fight.

Like I said, I was definitely affected by the story line and the tragedy. I felt like in real life it wouldn't have happened that way because a dangerous fighter like that wouldn't be allowed to stay in pro boxing.

lol, what the other boxers are not dangerous? Look at the various retired boxers who have one form of brain damage or another from too many hits to the head. Not to mention body shots that take a toll on ones body too.

When you step into the world of boxing (amateur/pro but especially pro) you gotta realize you are already facing dangerous fighters even if they don't knee you in the balls or bite your ears off ! lol